• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Getting a mobile phone signal in a basement flat
  • brooess
    Free Member

I recently moved into a basement flat – well – lower ground floor. It’s below street level at the front and ground level to the garden at the back and I can’t get a mobile signal which is a real problem for those days when I’m working from home, especially now I’m self-employed.
    I got hold of O2 to find out how to sort it and they just gave me a load of nonsense about there being a known local problem which was being fixed. I told them the signal was fine if I walk down to the bottom of the garden or back up to street level but they stuck to their script and there’s still no signal in the flat.
    I downloaded O2’s signal booster ap which works through my wifi but people I call say there’s an echo which makes it impossible to hear what I’m saying os it’s basically useless except for texts.

I’m thinking of getting a new phone anyway so I’m thinking about how I can work out in advance which network will give me a reliable signal indoors rather than moving to a different network and getting the same problem. I gather basement flats are generally a problem…

Ideas?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Skype number and use that on your wifi?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Old metal coat hanger sellotape do or held to the back of the phone or hold it against the metal bars on the window…..at least you’ve got dual aspect from your cell 😆
    Seriously whenever I used to have no signal I held the back of the phone to the metal window frame and it would give me sufficient reception.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I use sipgate (residential) for my biz telephone number. You get a local pr 0845 number for free which you can either forward to any telephone number (cost per min) or setup what its intended for a VoIP service (internet phone).

If the redirect to you doesn’t get answered they can leave a message which you get as an email attachment straight away

Worked for me for 5yrs.

Alphabet

I’m on Vodafone and have a Vodafone Callsure box which routes my calls via my broadband. It means I have full signal in my house on my phone where without it I wouldn’t have any signal.

Flaperon

You can get a picocell to solve the problem which plugs into your router. The phone sees it as a normal mast and it’s entirely transparent.

If O2 don’t do them, EE definitely provide one if you whinge loudly enough.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve got an EE signal booster that gives me the only 3G reception in my village. Without it, I can barely make a call.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i recently got an o2 boostbox to get a signal at home for my work phone. went from intermittent basic signal to full 3g. it plugs into my router. surprised o2 didnt mention it – perhaps only for business customers? although i am sure they would offer this to anyone if they are persistent enough? It did cost about £150 though.

iolo
    Free Member

If you have wifi just install tuGo on your phone.
    It automatically becomes your mobile signal and you can use your phone as normal.
    TuGo is very good abroad as you can use any wifi source to call and text the uk on your inclusive contract allocation with no extra cost.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Getting a mobile phone signal in a basement flat’ is closed to new replies.