Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Getting a lyrik instead of a new pike for my dialled alpine? Crazy?
  • winch
    Free Member

Lyrik advantages:

Slow and fast compression damping adjustment.
    Even stiffer.
    More easily user serviceable.
    Can convert to coil u-turn if I feel the need.
    Normal stantions (which I prefer the look of)

Pike advantages:
    Lighter
    Better damper???
    Cheaper!

Specifically I’m looking at getting the Lyrik dual position air, with a view to maybe converting to coil at a later stage.

CrAzY??!!

Rik
    Free Member

Can do you a U-turn coil Lyric for a great price :0)

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got the RC2 2DH Lyrik. Thought about the pikes but have a set of Mavic Deemax for DH and wanted to keep the 20mm axle. I’m finding them much better than the Van 36’s they’ve replaced.

BruceWee

Did almost exactly this on my alpine.

Started with a Lyriks 2-step air which was fine until the travel started doing strange things (I found I was getting more and more travel until it got to around 165mm and I was worried the stanchions were going to pop off).

I then converted it to coil u-turn and that was even better.

Then I removed the floodgate from the damper and it is now fantastic.

So highly recommended from me.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

As a Lyrik user, weight is the big reason I would swap it for the Pike, although I’d certainly like to try the Pike out to see how the ride compares.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I swapped from Lyrik RC2DH to a new Pike mostly on weight but also because of the damping and the Pike has it for me.

Almost a pound lighter, not much given away in stiffness and more versatile. I struggled to balance small bump and big hit tuning on the Lyrik and it sometimes choked on fast stutter bumps. The Pike recovers faster, rides higher in the stroke and is both plush and bottomless with a token in. Evidently the Pike top cap fits the Lyrik so they could be adapted to take tokens too, at a cost, which would have helped.

winch
    Free Member

@Rik – Is it white with a tapered steerer? I’m kinda picky like that!

Everyone else, keep those opinions coming, as yet I am still undecided…

Rik
    Free Member

Nah, black with a straight steerer, but killer price and has been upgraded to RC2DH damper

Northwind

Weight aside, I reckon my coil Lyriks are a much better fork than my Pikes. Coil vs air is usually pretty onesided but I prefer the scope of the adjustment in the Lyriks too, I find the Pikes overdamped for me (I think maybe I’m at the lighter end of their range? But that’s not a problem the mission control has)

I still feel like maybe I can get the Pikes to work better though but I just put my Lyriks back into the bike for an alps trip, that was not the plan. For day to day riding, it is a big weight difference though.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I got what I think were some of the last uturn coils in europe for my meta. Removed flood gate. Amazing. The happiest times on that bike are on rough stuff when I can just feel how much the fork is doing.

Not ridden new Pikes though, but if you haven’t either and you get a good deal on pikes, you’ll certainly be happy until you do.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Gone from coil uturn pikes to 150mm 2014 solo air pikes, and the weight alone on the front end makes such a difference, bike really moves. The trail chatter plushness now ive dialled them in is phenomenal! Best 300 quid upgrade ive ever done id wager.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’m a long time alpine with coil lyrik user and I really can’t find fault with them. A perfect match. It’s so much a more capable bike than I could ever do justice. So many times I thought I’d proper trucked it and the bike has just picked me up and carried on. That said I miss the stiffness of the Wotans the lyriks replaced

tomaso
    Free Member

Just gone from Lyrik RC2DH dual position air forks to Pikes and they are both great forks. I prefer my air Lyrik to the coil ones I had previously but I am not sure if its because of the spring but the difference between Mission control and the superior RC2DH damper.

winch
    Free Member

Well, I’ve gone with the Lyrik rc2l dpa from bike24. I’m going to ride it as an air fork and see how I get on but may ultimately go coil u-turn and do the floodgate mod. Plenty of pike love I this thread but enough Lyrik support has convinced me to go with my instincts!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lyrik on my Alpine. It’s ace!

Suits the bike perfectly.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Personally I’d say if you were looking for u-turn / dual position Lyriks then surely the Pikes are more your thing, if the idea is you’re doing a lot of pedalling and need to change the travel. My Lyriks (RC2DH solo air) to me come alive on the descents, the harsher the better, but they aren’t so good for pedalling or at slower speeds. However I could just have them set up wrong.

Got Pikes on the hard tail now, and okay it’s a hard tail, but one ride and I’m instantly finding the Pikes very easy to pedal with (more than the crappy old Recons the HT had), but also damping is impressive. I’ve not fiddled much with settings or had a play with the tokens, but I’m finding it rolls over roots, logs, rocks and even kerb edges with no effort and yet keeps to the ground with lots of grip. The old Recons would just pogo off them. The Lyriks I find are just very plush at speed will fly over the stuff, but not hug the ground. Slow speed they seem to need a little bit of effort to unweight or pop over things, especially square edged stuff. The Pikes just bump over without trying. That said I’ve never really understood the low/high speed settings on the Lyriks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Getting a lyrik instead of a new pike for my dialled alpine? Crazy?’ is closed to new replies.