Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Getting a job in a bikeshop
  • RealMan
    Free Member

What qualifications would they usually look for?

The position is sales assistant and mechanic, full time.

I don't have any proper bike qualifications like cytech, but I know my way around a bike, and have built and stripped several, as well as fixing countless things. Things like wheel building is a bit above me, but I learn very quickly and I don't think it would take me long to pick up.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I would think experience would count above all else so have lots of examples of what you've done and how you did it. Single most important thing, as with most jobs, is enthusiasm. If you can project lots of that you can't go far wrong.

tron
    Free Member

Is it CV or Application form?

Personally I'd write a person statement / profile at the top of the CV along the lines of "A keen cyclist with experience of [all the stuff you know how to do in order of impressiveness] and strong communication skills blather blather".

That way you can get all the stuff they need to see at the front of the CV, instead of being buried at the bottom of page 2 under "Hobbies & Interests".

RealMan
    Free Member

No need to worry about that Badgerpoo, I've got tons of enthusiasm.

tron, I had to email in a CV, so I wrote in a personal statement type thing at the top of the email, like you suggested. Didn't really list all the things I could do, figured that would be boring.

alexxx
    Free Member

I'd ring them to make sure they got the cv so they have a voice to a name, or pop in, even better.

they are probably going to look for a previous bike mechanic, its not just about bleeding some juicys its about knowing a whole range of stuff out of your current interest about different bikes

RealMan
    Free Member

Popped in yesterday alexxx (was looking for a new pair of bib shorts anyway) and they said they've got it. And they know me in there, as its my LBS.

alexxx
    Free Member

sahweet, thats what its all about buddy, just keep a presence – someone once told me you need to be a boarder line stalker, its a fine line 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

A really good covering letter will get you in most bike shops, write about your experiences, how much you like bikes then big yourself up, that along with a clear honest CV will be fine, Everyone starts somewhere usually they will state if they need an "experienced" mechanic.

Hand it in person to the Manager/Owner and say how much you want the job and already know the shop well.

I've advertised jobs for shops i've worked in and you'd be surprised how many CV's turned up with no covering letters (mainly all A grade school qualifactions). They go in the bin after getting a letter from me saying "no sorry".

ojom
    Free Member

Can you sell to people? i.e. can you pay your way and make the shop a good margin from your efforts?

I don't have any proper bike qualifications like cytech, but I know my way around a bike, and have built and stripped several, as well as fixing countless things.

Can you fix them for 8hrs a day for 5 days a week at a profit for the shop?

This can be quite different to knowing your way around a bike. Are you familiar with all types, from knackered 60's shoppers to 6k road bikes?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Getting a job in a bikeshop’ is closed to new replies.