• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by momo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting a grip…
  • lawman91

In the quite literal sense. The grips on my Whyte aren’t to my liking, they’re pretty uncomfortable and transmit a lot of feedback through the bars. I’ve used loads over the past the few years but I’m still looking for the right one. Current front runner is the ODI Troy Lee, used these in the last and got in well with them but I see the Ergonomic GE1 got 10/10 in MBR this month… any other favourites I should be looking at?

sharkattack

ODI Longnecks for me. Stopped using lock ons years ago and now have Longneck’s on every bike. I have big hands so like the chunkiness and I used to suffer from painful joints due to vibrations. That’s mostly gone now even on the DH bike.

I stuck them on with brake cleaner and I’ve never had them move even in the worst weather.

transporter13
    Free Member

Likewise…but mine are the loc on version.
    I wont even consider anything else

Northwind

I like the ESI racer’s edge, they’re pretty thin but do a fair bit of damping without robbing feedback. Main downside is, they’re not lockon so a wee bit more effort to fit, and they can tear up quite easily in crashes

bruneep

hovering over buy button on the esi grips, just how chunky are the extra chunky grips?

Northwind

Pretty chunky… TBH I didn’t like the extra chunkies, i found all that squish meant I was basically squeezing against them all the time, bit uncomfortable. YMMV but I find the thinner ones better overall

fin25
    Free Member

I have arthritis pretty bad in my hands and find the esi chunkys just right. The extra chunkys are a bit much unless you have massive hands.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I like the ODI Elite Flow, lock on on the inside, not at the outside where I like to lean on them.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

DMR Deathgrips are nice – although I snapped the internal sleeve on mine when I crashed.

Got a set of ODI Elite Pro’s now as I couldn’t get the thinner Deathgrips – they are great too.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve gone from ESI on both bikes to GE1s on one and ODI TLDs on the other. TLDs are alright for what I use them for, messing about, but I wouldn’t want them on longer rides. The GE1s have been a bit of a revelation for me. They’re slimmer than I’m used to and barely padded, but so incredibly comfortable. Be aware it does take a couple of rides to dial in the angle.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Superstar Excels – big, squidgy, comfy.

turbo1397
    Free Member

ODI rogues.. excellent.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

DMR death Grips +1
    I also snapped the internal when crashing but saying that I’ve snapped internals when crashing on most grips

funkmasterp

Chromag Clutch Lock On for me. Nice and long with separate grip surfaces for fingers and palms. They are great with or without gloves too. Bit like saddles though, as in what suits one person doesn’t suit the next.

core

I’ve been using these recently: Spesh enduro XL grips

I like the single lockring, they’re quite long, and quite cushioned, good for my big hands, I seem to lean on the end of the bar no matter how wide they are so having no lockring out there is much more comfortable.

Bought some imprint grips from the cycle show though, moulded them last night, was minimal faff, seems a good concept, but not tried them on the bike yet. http://www.tmrdesigns.com/

austy
    Free Member

Uberbike fat grips all the way for me, had their skinny grips suffered them til the wore out but they have been a revelation, no more hand pain, they are wide so if you have brakes or shifters close to the grips you might struggle and £11 a pair good value.

momo

ESI chunky user here, I’ve tried so many different grips before I found these and now won’t use anything else.
    I often ride with my hands right on the ends of the bars (even with 800mm bars) so anything with an outer lock ring used to be a real pain, I also like gloves with thin palms and little or no padding/reinforcement to bunch up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Getting a grip…’ is closed to new replies.