Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Getting a full-face helmet for trail riding
  • dvowles82
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about getting a light, ventilated full-face helmet for trail riding for a while now. Think Met Parachute or equivalent. However, it was only going to be for the more demanding trails that I ride – i.e. Bike Park Wales, perhaps some of the rockier trail centres in Wales. Meanwhile, I’d continue to use the open face helmet for everything else.

Until yesterday. I went for a quick blast at my local trail of Ashton Court in Bristol. Definitely the tamest trail I ride and not somewhere I’d previously have considered a full face for. I go round a banked corner (at fairly slow/moderate speed) but overshoot it a bit and the front wheel washes out over the top edge, causing me to come crashing down on my hand and face. My mouth and nose take the majority of the impact. I’ve been left with a deep gash above top lip and bruised/scratched nose and chin etc. No teeth knocked out, which was a huge relief, but it could so easily have been different!! Since been to hospital to have the gash glued together.

I’ve maybe properly crashed off the bike 3 times over the last couple of years and on those other occasions, it’s again been at pretty slow speed on pretty undemanding trail conditions. The knees and hands have taken the brunt of it, but I distinctly remember then too that the face came very close to either the ground or a tree stump at the side of the trail. The point is, if the risk is that real in relatively pedestrian, straightforward trails, then it’s only going to be that much greater on faster, rockier trails. You just don’t know how and where you are going to land, especially when obstacles are involved. Yes I’ll probably get some strange looks wearing a met parachute at tamer trail centres, and yes it’s all about managing risk with comfort, but I’m now sold on the idea!

Anyone else down with that trail of thought?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

What about the bell super 2R with removable chinguard?

Trimix
    Free Member

Only you can judge the risks you perceive. Personally I’m happy riding in the UK without a Full Face. Just Full Face for the Alps.

I also think you may gain a feeling of security from the Met which doesn’t in reality give you much protection. But if it makes you feel better that may work for you.

What are you trying to do, stop scratches / stop splitting your head open / give you confidence ?

I do think its daft trying to justify these things – I ended up in hospital from a pathetic crash wearing a Full Face and Body armour, just landed in a tree which hit the bits that were not protected.

Almost all my DH / Freeride / pushing my limits crashes have involved me using my arms and rolling into the ground – so a FF and Body Armour has not really provided much help. Consequently I regularly ride at Chicksands in just XC gear.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Don’t take this the wrong way but I’d be spending the money on a skills/tuition day rather than spending it on full face lid.

Better IMO to have confidence in your riding than the confidence a full face helmet offers, it could just lead to bigger crashes.

Trimix
    Free Member

Jamesfts, puts it well.

My confidence has grown to the point I’m not bothered with a FF. Also crashing now hurts less and happens less. You can learn to crash as well as learn to ride better.

dvowles82
    Free Member

I know what you mean about the skills coaching, and I agree it would be beneficial. But I am/was feeling more confident than ever in my skills. It’s not that I feel I need a full face to feel confident, it’s more of an insurance policy. It’s just clear that accidents can and do happen occasionally, often in unexpected moments. Yes, there is no guarantee that protection will help you, regardless of how tame the crash or how much you have on. But from experience, I do know that falls (can) be awkward and unpredictable, regardless of knowing how to fall properly. And for that reason, it seems sensible to wear a light full face? It surprises me that more people don’t, but I do appreciate the counter argument too.

Northwind

There’s just not a full face I’d be happy to wear all the time, it’s always a tradeoff of comfort (and discomfort can lead to distraction which can lead to crashes). YMMV of course but I’d be climbing with it off, and once you do that everything’s a faff- and probably only a matter of time til you’re either riding short bits with no hat, or just not riding them at all because it’s not worth the bother.

The Super looks like it might work for you- wear it in open face mode most of the time, attach the chinpiece basically when you think it’s worth it. Though sods law says you’ll fall off on a climb and end up with no face. I’m interested to try one on.

A mate of mine does all his riding, even XC racing, in a full set of jousting armour- parachute, pressure suit, dh shinpads etc, wrist protectors… He prefers sweat to pain. But even then, most times when he crashes he manages to find an unprotected bit.

skydragon
    Free Member

from the Met which doesn’t in reality give you much protection

The new 2015 version? Really? I haven’t face planted it yet, but it’s not a bad choice and is a different class of helmet to the old style Met parachute (keeping the same name is a bit of a marketing error perhaps)

I’ve used the new Met for a mixture of riding. It’s light and cool enough that you could wear it most of the time if you wanted (fwiw I don’t and save it for when I’m pushing my limits, BPW, etc) as the ventilation is brill and it’s not that different to wearing a open face helmet. The field of vision isn’t restricted either, so there is no real ‘distraction’ when wearing it. It’s far cooler than the Bell Super and imho a far better helmet.

Regarding the OP. Do what you feel comfortable with mate. It’s only fashion and peer pressure.

I’ve seen a few nasty facial injuries happen to other riders whilst at trail centres, which could have probably been prevented by use of a helmet like a Met parachute or Bell Super 2R. It’s a shame in a way that it’s viewed as being ‘soft’ if you consider wearing a FF etc unless you are a DH God.

Considering wearing a FF helmet and Goggles ?? – Good god man!! you might stop your teeth being knocked out, or being blinded…. Man up for god’s sake and wear an open face whilst squinting through the spray of mud like a real rider 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Been thinking about getting a full face for a few weeks now. I have the pmba coming up soon and a number of times I have had my finger over the Buy Now button on a bell 2r.

I had a ‘moment of clarity’ the other day whilst riding over a rock garden type bit of trail, I came extremely close to coming off and just saved it. After I thought about keeping my lovely face, life, family and when I got home decided to just buy one. I couldn’t give a hoot if others think im over protected for the coming races, im guessing a lot will be under protected and I know which l would rather be.

poah
    Free Member

Got a met parachute from bike-discount for £115 and its pretty good. A lot cooler than my 661 FF and has the certification for the chin guard which the bell doesn’t. Its a bit of a faff to put on compared to the 661 and my head gets cold in the current weather lol. I wear it when ever I’m on the bike – I like the protection it offers over a standard hat.

Northwind

I don’t know if this is genuine but it was reported that the Bell’s chinpiece passes the ASTM dh standard, it’s actually the “open face”/upper that doesn’t, just because of the construction of the vents etc- supposedly it’s more a case of incompatability with the impact tests than it is about failing. It seems at least possible- the ASTM standard is pretty specific on where the impacts have to be, in a similiar way to motorbike SHARP, so if there’s a big vent there it’s not going to work out.

But this is proper Internetz Fact.

darrenspink
    Free Member

It has to be said, this is not intended to replace a downhill racing full-face helmet. The Super 2R is CPSC and CE EN1078 certified, the U.S. and European safety standards for normal bike helmets. However, it doesn’t meet the higher downhill ratings. According to Bell, the chin piece actually would meet that ASTM F1952 testing, but the vents in the main helmet body mean it doesn’t provide enough puncture protection to be downhill-certified.

rumple
    Free Member

giro cipher, great lid, well made, well vented. no complaints

6079smithw
    Free Member

Touring car and LMP1 racing drivers wear full face helmets, so why not someone on an MTB who can fall on their face?

I think even for Tour de France roadies full face lids should be mandatory

tomhoward

Touring car and LMP1 racing drivers wear full face helmets, so why not someone on an MTB who can fall on their face?

😆

Oh, you’re serious?

HansRey

Op, I got a met parachute for similar reasons to you. They’re very well ventilated. I’ve not ridden in temps above 20C in it though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It bad enough they have to wear polystyrene hats, but if you want full face you really should add leathers and a neck brace.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Hadn’t spotted the upgraded Parachute. That looks ideal for me.

Anyone want an old TLD D2? 😉

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’ve been contemplating this for a little while now as I find that I’m pushing myself more than I have in the past and making more of an effort at trying to get quicker and stay off the brakes and the 2R seems like a good compromise as it gives that added bit of protection with the removable chin bar, take it off for the ups and put it on for the downs.

HansRey

if you go for the MET, try one on before. The sizing is a bit odd.

br
    Free Member

Having crashed and ended up in A&E via blues n’twos a few years ago I backed off the ‘speed’.

Since then I’ve got to be a better rider, in both fitness and skill – and riding far quicker than I ever use to, but still been wary-er than the guys I ride with. Rare that I fall off now, and this is riding far harder trails than I ever use to (for example, Sunday was Innerleithen Red/off-piste/DH in the snow).

I’d second training and unless you’ve ever worn a FF (motorcyclist maybe?) you’ll find it hard work on anything other than going downhill.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think that no amount of protection will stop you crashing. Fitness and improved skills yes. Maybe invest in a kills day or two? Where do you stop with protection? Full storm trooper suit will give you even more protection. Each to there own but don’t discount addressing other areas of your riding. We all come off at some point

hora
    Free Member

TBH OP – I’ve not ridden bikeparkwales but I wouldn’t feel ashamed donning a full face for riding there. You don’t have to be a riding God to wear a fullface either. Many folk I know who wear them at amateur races etc would never get near a podium but it ensures they can work come Monday.

Also- even for normal trail riding if it works for you why not? I might laugh but then I’m not going to pay your dental bill or mortgage.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s obviously important to be realistic about how completely you can protect yourself, but if you’re comfy wearing a full-face and worry about bashing yourself then go for it.

Personally, wearing a full-face makes me think that what I’m doing is dreadfully dangerous, at which point I get really scared and crash…

🙂

hora
    Free Member

Weirdly I’ve got a Giro Madmax that I bought in 2004 – I’ve never fallen or clonked my head with it.

Here in the UK wearing a full face I’ve OTB, knee, etc etc etc countless times 😐

Maybe I should wear the lucky helmet more 😀

skydragon
    Free Member

unless you’ve ever worn a FF (motorcyclist maybe?) you’ll find it hard work on anything other than going downhill.

Why?

I can easily pedal 20 miles with a fair bit of altitude gain, wearing a Met Parachute and still be comfortable.

I’ve never tried it, but I doubt if I could do that in a traditional DH/Freestyle FF helmet, as it would be too hot.

I think that no amount of protection will stop you crashing

I don’t think that’s the point the OP is asking about. Wearing a FF won’t make you crash any less, but it might help prevent some injuries that an open face helmet wouldn’t. I don’t think there is any resistance to the idea that improving skills to try and help reduce the chance of crashing is a good idea too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Getting a full-face helmet for trail riding’ is closed to new replies.