Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Getting a dog when you're allergic – stupid or not?
  • ebennett

I’m mildly allergic to dogs but am generally fine as long as I don’t touch my face after touching them. However, I’ve never lived with one for an extended period and generally take precautionary antihistamines when we stay with her parents (who have a dog).

My partner grew up with dogs and really wants to get one/two. I do really like dogs, but I’m worried that, if we get one and I can’t actually tolerate the allergens, then it’s ~15 years of sniffling and taking drugs. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it the case that it’s manageable as long as you clean them and the house regularly?

We’d be considering the claimed “hypoallergenic” breeds (I know there’s really no such thing), so the other thing I’m concerned about is where we’d get one. Would much prefer to get one from a shelter, but I can’t imagine there are that many of those there. Anyone know if this is the case or not?

andyl
    Free Member

If you don’t mind keeping it well groomed (general brushing, clipping not the fancy stuff) then a proper poodle or you could try a poodle cross. If you do get a cross then make sure you rub your face on it to test it out before you take it home!

Oh and by proper one I mean a big one. Not a little thing. Then you can take it out on rides as they are very trainable.

Cougar

There was a thread recently discussing breed options, worth a dig back.

wwaswas

Most breeds have ‘rescue centres’ where they’ll rehome dogs.

Obviously if you’re going for something rescued you need to be sure it wasn’t for aggression/behaviour issues, though.

we recently got a Vizsla – very short hair and no ‘undercoat’ so very little shedding.

Personally, I’d try and find local owners or breeders and ask if you can spend some time with their dogs to confirm you’re ok. Not fair on you, your partner or the dog if yopu have to get rid of one after a week.

paulhaycraft

I grew up in a house with a dog and in general it wasn’t too bad. It wasn’t allowed upstairs etc and we had a lot of easy to clean floors.
    As an adult I’ve flat out refused. I’ve had holiday’s ruined by left over dog hair.

andyl’s suggestion is pretty good though. Give it a test. I know sometimes I can tell if a cat’s been in a house in the last week but one of my mate’s has cats and I’m fine for an afternoon in his house. I guess as you’ve mentioned it’s very breed dependent.

How much do you* want one?

*your missus obviously

footflaps

We have cats and I’m slightly allergic. Just take antihistamine every day and it seems to work.

ebennett

Thanks Cougar, useful stuff.

We’re probably looking at Schnausers – I like the poodles I’ve met but they’re almost as big as my partner. The dogs I’ve spent most time with are her folks (Westie) and the neighbours (2 pugs). I’m pretty much ok with the Westie, but then I take drugs before going. The pugs make me a bit sneezy, but then they shed everywhere and lick everything to death, so they’re probably one of the worst options!

How much do you* want one?

*your missus obviously

I’ve told her she can have dogs or kids. I like dogs more than kids!

wwaswas

I’ve told her she can have dogs or kids

what she heard:

I’ve told her she can have dogs then kids

ebennett

Just take antihistamine every day and it seems to work

I’ve found that when I take them regularly for hayfever I can get fatigue regardless of whether they’re non-drowsy or not, so not too keen on a life of fuzziness.

/anecdotal/ I’ve also been told that some people with milder allergies just get used to dogs after a while. Mate of mine at uni said that when he went home he was sneezing for the first few days but was fine after that. /anecdotal/

ebennett

I’ve told her she can have dogs or kids

what she heard:

I’ve told her she can have dogs then kids

I suspect that may be true. Told her (only half-jokingly) that I’d make her sign a contract that we wouldn’t have kids if we got a dog!

footflaps

I’ve found that when I take them regularly for hayfever I can get fatigue regardless of whether they’re non-drowsy or not, so not too keen on a life of fuzziness.

Never get drowsy, even from the super Drowsy ones, which a real pain on long haul flights….

cokie

I’m very allergic to dogs but my partner & I love them. With most breeds (even hypoallergenic) I get asthma, my eyes itch (like sand paper) and I get a rash.
    We ended up with Chihuahua, firstly because they are a lovely breed and secondly I only show mild signs of allergy with her.

We’ve had her two years now and with regular grooming my allergy has pretty much vanished. When she starts malting my asthma comes back temporarily, maybe for a month or so, and then goes for the rest of the year. We’ve taught her not to lick so that helps me lots. I’m still very allergic to other breeds.

Also, this ‘proper dog’ rubbish. My Chi is as good as gold. Incredibly intelligent and hardy. She comes riding, long days out in the hills (in all weather) and isn’t yappy at all. I thinks she’s barked once. Certainly smarter & more enduring than the lab, retriever & staf we’ve had in the family.

big_scot_nanny

Me and son allergic to normal dogs, have same wheezing & contact dermatitis reaction – genes eh?

Mine has got worse as I’ve got older. 2 years ago we got a cavapoo. As well as being a fabulous pet, trail dog and great companion, we also exhibit no allergic response. Woop!

Edit – should add that I grew up with dogs, allergy has got worse over time, and we had a lab for the first year son was around. Wierd.

dragon
    Free Member

We’re probably looking at Schnausers – I like the poodles I’ve met but they’re almost as big as my partner.

I bloody hate miniature Schnausers that bark just does my head in.

So what if standard poodles are big, they train great as they are super smart and being a bigger dog tend to be calmer IME.

ebennett

Yeah, I think something with a bit of poodle in would be good too. Hadn’t heard of a cavapoo but they’re cute lil buggers!

phiiiiil

I’m allergic to cats, but took a risk a while back in moving to a rented room of a house with a cat.

I had a reaction to it to start with, running eyes and nose, sneezes etcetera, but it went away surprisingly quickly and I was totally fine after the first few weeks. I was, and still am, allergic to other cats, but presumably your immune system learns to live with something if it continues for a while…?

andyl
    Free Member

just googled cavapoo and my fears were correct.

Get a proper sized dog, then you can take it riding properly 😀

ebennett

I don’t have the patience to ride with other people so I doubt I’d have the patience for taking a dog riding!

IHN

My Mrs is allergic to dogs, has occasional eczema and dogs used to set off her eczema something rotten.

We ended up inheriting my sister’s dog. She (the Mrs, not the dog) took cetirizine (sp) for a while, reducing the dose after a couple of weeks and after a couple more weeks not taking any at all. She’s now not allergic to our dog, less allergic to other dogs and her eczema flares up far less often.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Papadirt has shown dog allergies in the past and we deliberately went for a short-haired dog and visited the rescue centre before deciding. JD gets the occasional once-over with dog wipes which keeps the dander down (and the smell 😆 ) and we’ve had no problems. We use Petalcleanse too when our eldest son (who is prone to asthma) visits and this certainly helps.

russ295
    Free Member

A good friend of mine had a spaniel. He was slightly asthmatic. His wife heard a thud upstairs and went to see what it was. He’s was unconscious on the landing. Not breathing. Paramedics turned up and his heart had stopped. They shocked him a few times to get him going. I read the transcript of the Paramedics conversation, it was very touch and go.
    He’d be dead if he was in the house alone.

angeldust
    Free Member

Some of the very small dog breeds being mentioned are not suitable for following a bike all day. chihuahua, really?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Where the hell are the doggy photos?!

Wookster

I’d be very careful, I was mildly allergic to the Guinea Pigs we had, but as time when on I basically had a constantly running nose, wheezed when I was near them and came up in a rash if I handled them even for cleaning them out. This is with antihistamines. We tried everything to keep them ( Mrs and kids loved them) different bed dings etc etc, but it was the ‘pigs. In the end we re homed them. Within a few days I was fine.

I’d be tempted to see if you can borrow a dog for a bit and see?

We have a Labradoodle, ( Lab Mum, Poodle Dad) and it sheds worse than any dog I’ve met! So be careful with the hypoallergenic dogs, it can be the saliva that sets some people off, not the hair so much.

Good luck, I love having a dog, it’s a lovely thing to have in your home!!

joshvegas
    Free Member

See thats how you do a post about dog ownership!

wwaswas

Where the hell are the doggy photos?!

oh, go on then.

Ziggy 6 weeks ago…

feeling a bit shy at the Vizsla group walk on Saturday;

chillin’

cokie

I never said I take the dog out all day riding..she comes on small bursts of riding, but will walk with us all day in all weather. She loves it!

dantsw13

Ziggy – great name for a dog!!

Heres Ziggy the working cocker spaniel:

angeldust
    Free Member

‘She comes riding, long days out in the hills (in all weather)……’

Quote from your post. What do you expect people to think!

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve had bad cat allergies in the past and allergic to some dogs. When I was younger the family pet was an airedale terrier, great dogs and I suffered no allergic issues.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Getting a dog when you're allergic – stupid or not?’ is closed to new replies.