Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Getting a building quote
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Got our first builder coming around tonight to quote for a loft conversion.

Want to get off on the right foot with all those that will be quoting and don’t want to sound like a muppet from the get go so….

What should l be asking him?

Pro’s or peeps who’ve had work done and wished they’d got things said/sorted in early meetings…. all welcome

Ta

AdamW
    Free Member

If he has a twin brother who is as cute as he is.

Don’t forget to swoon at the right point!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Dude you know l’m a fella right?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

What should l be asking him?

If you don’t know much about loft conversions, Just tell him a what you need, what it will be used for etc.

And if he offers advice make sure he explains all the options so you can make an informed decision.

rickt
    Free Member

Also ask them to email you a quote over detailing the work, themselves there’s no mis reading hand writing etc. I did this with my decking project and it helped me make an informed decision.

project
    Free Member

Seriously,a written typed quote,

is vat included or extra,

type of finsh required, painted, bare plasterboard,etc,

Fire doors positioning and staircase adaptions, along with mains powered smoke alarms on all floors,electric, sockets lights etc,

insulation,

Details of public liability, in case he burns your house down,drops tiles on your car it does happen,

Previous experience of this type of work,

number of men going to be on site, you need to know how many cups of tea to provide,

Hours of work, access points to roof, neighbour problems,parking,party wall working if semi or terraced house,

Cost, and what if costs overrun,

Roof lights for fire escape route, building control, planning permission,

Payment staging,

How long to do job and when can they start.

Finally, do you like him, can you and your boyfreind bare to have him in your house 8 hours a day with his workmates.

oh and dont have a fear of dust and rubble.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Project you are the man

As am l 😆

Thanks vmuch

creamegg
    Free Member

Get everything written down so the scope of work is black and white. Be as specific as you possible can.

If you think your amount of work warrants it you can use a simple building contract…

http://www.jctltd.co.uk/category/home-owner-contracts

(second of the two)

project
    Free Member

and know what you want,make a basic drawing with walls, door openings,roof light positons etc

No need for 3D or crayons, most of us builders can understand line drawings.

And thank himfor his time as he hasnt been paid yet forall work he is going to do, and doesnt yet know if he will get paid.

AdamW
    Free Member

Ro5ey

Yes. That was the, err, joke!

Gets my coat…

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think youve got it well covered, just ask before agreeing anything if there is anything he hasn’t allowed for? Also whatever payments HE wants, make sure you are always paying in stages following an agreed plan, so you are covered and have a level of hold over him in case he accepts more projects than he can run.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Getting a building quote’ is closed to new replies.