Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Getting a 7 year old to school
  • Edric64
    Free Member

because they’d have to get it home on the bus every night as the OP has said.

Oops ,didnt read that bit !

Edric64
    Free Member

Could you pick the bike up on the way home by using a trail gator bar if your wife takes your daughter on the bus ?

wwaswas

My daughter’s school locked the gates except during normal arrival and leaving times. After 5:00 it was pot luck if anyone was in the office to let you in when you rang the buzzer.

lorax

I’m in Oxford and have a tandem you can try. It’ll probably be a bit small for you but might be worth a shot. We used to have two tandems and took both kids to school on them, but my son now takes the bus. It’s absolutely fine to ride solo – my wife prefers the tandem to her lovely Dutch bike.

Alternatively take a Brompton on the bus. I’ve done this plenty of times and only once had a problem with a stroppy driver.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Give her a CROG.

Used to crog mine to school – been known to have one sat on top tube, with pipe lagging for a saddle and one having a crog.Couldn’t afford any other at the time. It was that or walk.

Might not look pretty but it costs nowt, and as soon as you drop them off its a straight forward bike so you can go for a proper spin.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Just had a look at one of those Followme Tandem things on their website. Seems an ok idea, but my daughter’s bike is a 24″ wheel bike and these only work for up to 20″.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Get a scooter. It’s a 10 minute scoot and it’ll cost you £50 for one that’ll last years.

She’s got a scooter, but 3km is too far to scoot.

…I just checked and its actually 3miles, not 3km.

swanky
    Free Member

You could all have fun on one of these:

MSC Tandem

A go anywhere tandem

phutureproof
    Free Member

Bargain!

wwaswas

3miles, not 3km

3 Miles?!?!?!?

she should clearly be driven.

or ride the fat bike wave?

Bez

I have a set of kiddie cranks if the op is interested ? including the chainset with short cranks.

If the OP isn’t interested, I might be – I’ll drop you an email…

phutureproof
    Free Member

I have a set of kiddie cranks if the op is interested ? including the chainset with short cranks.

I can’t seem to message you about this. My email is rich at birket dot co dot uk

mk1fan
    Free Member

Although the frame is aluminium, almost every other part is steel and has rusted to pieces!

Then replace the parts.

phutureproof
    Free Member

Then replace the parts.

I will be doing if I don’t find a better alternative to a tag along.

mk1fan
    Free Member

How do you define ‘better’? Seems to be the cheapest, quickest solution that meets your requirements.

phutureproof
    Free Member

‘Better’ for me = less clunky, more controlled, more stable, maybe gearing that will allow my growing daughter to pedal at an equivalent rate to me, better cornering…Is that ok?

More than that, I thought it would be an interesting debate.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Wasn’t questioning the validity of your requirements. It would make sense to me to spend a small amount on the tagalong to get full use out of it before your daughter is too big for it.

Can’t see any of the ‘cargo’ style bikes being any more stable than a tagalong.

Dropping a large sum of money on a tandem should provide a short term solution but will a suitable tandem for today also be adaptable for your growing daughter?

If gearing is an issue then why not get a rear wheel built up with a small rim and a standard hub that you can fix a cassette to and some gears?

aracer
    Free Member

Dropping a large sum of money on a tandem should provide a short term solution but will a suitable tandem for today also be adaptable for your growing daughter?

Some of the suggested options are likely to be suitable at least to the point where it becomes uncool, others still for a significant number of years (possibly also up to the point it becomes uncool). I hope to be riding mine with my sons once they get old enough that uncool is no longer an issue (or maybe even the two of them together).

PhilO
    Free Member

If you get on with the trailer bike, other than it being unstable/rattley, I can recommend a Burley Picollo as an alternative. We’ve got two, both picked up on EBay for ~£100 ish. The hitch is very solid, uses headset and wheel bearings for the moving parts, and mounts to a carrier rack, directly above the rear wheel axle. The disadvantage is that they don’t come up very often, which probably means buying new seeing as term’s started:

Amazon link.

jms
    Free Member

Would be very interested to hear what you finally go for as I also have a 7 year old who having moved school means it is about a 3 mile trip but I would probably cycle on from my workplace. Some of the roads through town are pretty busy so am thinking the best option is a second hand tandem – possibly a Dawes Twocan, Discovery Twin (as used to have one of these and had a 9 year old stoker with some seatpost showing from memory), Double Edge or alternatively a Thorn Kiddyback – these seem to go for about £300-£500. I’m a lot shorter than you at about 5ft 9.

moniex
    Free Member

I used a bobike maxi for my son until the bike it was on got stolen along with the seat. I am pretty sure the weight limit is 35 kg and not 32. For kids this will make a few years difference! I am Dutch and bought mine in holland. They are great seats, but do remember things like the straps/foot guards etc are extra (from memory). Designed to carry a crate of beer when folded down the rumour goes!

I have seen it used for much older kids then 7, just use some common sense.

My son is now 12, 150cm and only weights about 39kg, you may got more use out of it then you think.

You can always sell it on when she is too heavy for it.

Simone

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Getting a 7 year old to school’ is closed to new replies.