Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Get your telescopes out! Planet 9 to be found?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Nup no having it, if they have found another planet, it’s the 10th. Pluto always has been and always will be the 9th planet!

So real or fake? I know in the past there’s been nonsense about planet called nibiru that’s going to collide with earth. But this seems plausible? Or have I just fell for a hoax? 😆

https://www.caltech.edu/news/caltech-researchers-find-evidence-real-ninth-planet-49523

GrahamS

Plan(et) 9 from Outer Space?

chewkw
    Free Member

If it is not like earth it’s useless? Yes?

athgray
    Free Member

Potentially pretty exciting. I have struggled to think of Pluto as anything other than a planet as well.

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    If it is not like earth it’s useless? Yes?

If it is like earth, would that make it anymore useful? Considering we haven’t made a man made journey any further than apollo 13 managed in 1970!

lemonysam
    Free Member

But of you think of Pluto as a planet then this must be at least the 11th, Eris is more massive than Pluto and there’s likely other large trans neputunian objects out there. As the article says, gravitationally dominating it’s region of space would make it a very different kettle of fish.

athgray
    Free Member

When I saw the story, one article said that Eris was initially classed as larger than Pluto, but has been recently been downsized. Apparently now slightly smaller than Pluto.

GrahamS

I’m going to need to grow another finger.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Eris is thought to be slightly smaller but more massive IIRC.

seosamh77
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member
    But of you think of Pluto as a planet then this must be at least the 11th, Eris is more massive than Pluto and there’s likely other large trans neputunian objects out there. As the article says, gravitationally dominating it’s region of space would make it a very different kettle of fish.

Not that I was being serious! 😆 But aye, you would have a point!

CountZero

There’s been a lot of conjecture about a trans-Neptunian planet, either a gas-giant or rocky, because of perturbations in the Kuiper Belt, but nobody’s been able to find any convincing evidence; this, however, seems to supply enough evidence to show exactly where to begin looking properly. I really hope they manage to actually find it.
    As for Pluto, well, I’m not losing sleep over the planet/dwarf planet debate, it’s an extraordinary place, looking at the photos that have already come back, quite unlike anywhere else in the system, and that more than makes up for the demotion.

jimster01

Think you’ll be lucky to see anything atm in Malvern,it’s as foggy as a very foggy place!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Get your telescopes out! Planet 9 to be found?’ is closed to new replies.