Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Get your clipboards out! Warning Health and safety and planning content!
  • Hello,

So, I live in london. The riding is shit FACT. So I am trying to sort something out in a nearby park in West London. I kinda work in parks and councils so I know the score that this will be tough but has anyone any tips on building bike tracks/pump tracks/ dirt jumps in public places etc? This is risk assessment we have so far feel free to add:-

Activity
    Unauthorised use of part of park by children and young adults on bicycles for BMX type activities.
    Do significant Hazards exist?
    Yes
    Persons at Risk and hazards
    Bicycle users
    Collision with other users
    Collision with static objects (trees)
    Falls from bicycle
    Collision with dogs
    Falling deadwood or trees (exacerbated by digging around roots)
    Other park users
    Collision with bicycle users
    slip or trip on ramp or berm or exposed tree roots
    List of control measures
    Restrict activity to particular area
    Introduce signage to warn other users
    Introduce signage to instruct users of facility
    Explore possibilities of self policing or club
    Agreed format and direction of rollers rather than jumps (design a specific pump track)
    Tree inspection regime
    Risk level
    To be agreed (level of harm x likelihood of occurrence)

Implement Control measures
    To be agreed

Any one any thoughts on this or the risk assessment? Or anything?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

A risk assessment for an unauthorised activity? I shouldn't bother!
    You approaching the council for an official site, or are you in the right department and wanting to develop a site? Oh, and digging up the roots around a tree to the point it might fall over doesn't happen does it?!?

edit- if the area is contained (fence or natural boundaries) that might reduce potential conflict…

Hi tracker,

At the mo its "unauthorised" but trying to make it safer and the future we are trying to set something more permanent in the park.

I work as a contractor in the parks department in a council but confusingly the site that the existing (illegitimate) jumps are on in a park that is shared between my Borough and the neighbours but I have a way in.

Re the trees, yeah i agree it doesnt happen but the bloke from the park (who is pretty sound for entertaining the idea) put it in and he is the expert!

nick

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I think the tree risk as a result of digging around roots is a complete hostage to fortune and makes the project sound as if it is a mickey mouse idea. If you need to do any construction work or digging near trees then I would expect you will be required to adhere to the advice in BS5837 Trees and Construction which gives covers root protection areas etc – I reckon you'd be better just saying that any works would accord with that.

well Hamish Cheers for that, I work in festivals and this guy is from the parks so if he thinks its relevant I will take your advice and say we are working toward that.

matt_outandabout

Can I be picky and say thatFalls from bicycle and slip or trip on ramp or berm or exposed tree roots or
    are not hazards – being hit by the falling branches is a hazard; slipping/falling/tripping and hitting floor hard enough to injure in some way is a hazard/risk.

I would always use term risk rather than hazard.

Also, risk assessment is just that, an assessment. You sir have a risk management form, that says how you are to manage a risk.

*goes back to his 200+ pages of risk management for adventure activities*

Matt,

You can say that, and I promise I wont judge you.

Nick

aP
    Free Member

There's a language to write these things in and maybe support from BC/ SE.
    Where are you in west London?

Ealing daahling

matt_outandabout

pukka

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Get your clipboards out! Warning Health and safety and planning content!’ is closed to new replies.