Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • get this guy a medal……Truely awesome
  • sucklingmatt
    Free Member

But he’s not content with that. As if spending each day cycling through Europe was not enough, Steven also plans to study for two Open University degree courses at the same time.

Steven starts his epic journey from his home in Port St Mary tomorrow (Thursday, March 31) and expects it to take him two to three years to cycle the 31,000km.

His first capital, of course, will be Douglas, and then he’s heading for London, the Channel Islands and then over to Paris, Luxembourg, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Warsaw, Prague and Vienna.

Full-time student Steven, 40, is raising money for the UK’s leading blood pressure charity, the Blood Pressure Association.

He knows from first-hand experience how important it is to keep your blood pressure under control – he’s on five different types of medication himself and will have to carry 1,000 pills for the first six-month leg of his challenge.

He said: ‘In 2006, when I was 36, I discovered I had high blood pressure and was prescribed beta blockers.

‘Dismissing high blood pressure as something trivial that loads of people had, and hating the idea of possessing a body so weak as to need medication for life, I stopped taking the pills after a couple of weeks. Besides, the beta blockers had slowed me down, making me feel strangely zombie-like.

‘Three years later, after a bout of vomiting, blurred vision and general weariness I found myself in intensive care having suffered a brain haemorrhage.

‘This had been brought on by – yes, you’ve guessed it! – high blood pressure. By not dealing with the problem when I first knew about it, not only had I come very close to death but I now also had kidneys that were only functioning at 50 per cent, a result of long term high blood pressure.

‘The kidneys probably won’t improve and will deteriorate naturally from an already low level as I get older. This is one of the reasons why I’m doing the bike ride now.

‘Later in life, I may find myself in a position where regular treatment for my failing kidneys prevents me from doing particular physical things, certainly things that remove me from civilisation for a few weeks at a time.

‘I’m now on five different blood pressure pills each day, and carrying all this medication is going to be a challenge when I’m cycling for six months at a time, but it is much, much better than the alternative.’

While the aim of the trip is to visit each European capital, Steven says the fun part will be cycling through the countryside of the Continent.

He is splitting his challenge into three, ending his first year in Spain where he will leave his bike with Spanish girlfriend before heading back to take his Open University exams in October.

The second year of the trip will set off from Spain and end in Austria, where Steven once lived, and where again he will leave his bike while he heads off to take his OU exams before returning the following year for the last leg of the challenge.

You can follow his progress on his website unicycle50.com

Paul Newman, chief executive officer of the Blood Pressure Association, said: ‘We were all bowled over when Steven first approached us with this incredible idea to raise funds for our charity.

‘We wish him all the very best of luck and will be behind him every kilometre of the way – and urge everyone to give whatever they can to support his inspirational endeavour.

‘High blood pressure is often called the “silent killer” because it is the leading risk factor for stroke and heart attack and a major cause of kidney disease, but it’s a symptomless condition – one in three of the 16 million adults in the UK who have high blood pressure don’t even know it.

‘We’d like to thank everyone who sponsors Steven for supporting the BPA. Funds raised from events like the bike ride will make a huge difference to the work the BPA can undertake to help more people control their blood pressure.’

To sponsor Steven on his inspirational cycle challenge, please visit justgiving.com/unicycle50

geoffj

I struggle with long sentences

Summary?

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

he is cycling to every capital city in Europe

xcgb
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences- I had to google that!

But I struggle with long sentences too

portlyone

We wish him all the very best of luck and will be behind him every kilometre of the way

…just not on a bike, I’m not mad!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Read some of it.
    he’s dong some cycling and reading and got high blood pressure.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

and he is doing some open university course, and has to take 6,000 pills with him for 6 months

molgrips
    Free Member

he is cycling to every capital city in Europe

So he has money, time and a bike – lucky sod.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘get this guy a medal……Truely awesome’ is closed to new replies.