Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Get some bar end plugs people
  • wwaswas

I’m not going to post the picture as it’s more than a little wince inducing.

[it’s not NSFW, just something you probably need to be prepared for, rather than it just appearing in your twitter feed, for example 😯 ]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrUWf4GIEAA-tHg.jpg:large

basically it’s a bloke with a set of handlebars skewering his leg.

Thankfully it looks like it’s not taken a core sample but I assume a wider surface area would have helped prevent it.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m Derek Starship, and I approve this message.

Yak

😯

Hows that not taken a core sample? Presume the open bar made the cut then the grip just followed through… euurgh!

woody2000

Yum, leg kebab. Still can’t figure out how that’s happened, it’s through the back of his(?) leg. Did the sports watch stop it going any further? 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe the brake lever stopped it?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s a very short bar width, I’m assuming that a wider width bar may well have prevented this?

Yak

Phew – bar is intact. 🙂

binners

One of mine appears to have gone missing after a minor… ahem… ‘incident’ t’other week. Must get some more on the way home tonight 😯

wwaswas

It’s those carbon fibres trying to find a way to your heart and kill you dead. They’ll stop at nothing.

njee20
    Free Member

Holy mother of god. Ow.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Stem the idea and bar yourself from looking at that link.
    Just get a grip on this and get some plugs.

wwaswas

With Jamie having posted the pre and post medical attention pics my reticence seems misplaced.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Would a bar plug have helped?

You have to wonder, or, I do.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

WTF when did that happen…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Derek’s Starship Belly to the forum…

Jamie
    Free Member

With Jamie having posted the pre and post medical attention pics my reticence seems misplaced.

Yup. Yer big ponce.

Derek’s Starship Belly to the forum…

wwaswas

Yer big ponce.

I’ve been ban hammered for images twice and I’m not sure if there’s a ‘3 strikes’ policy in operation…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Can’t see how a bar end plug would do much given the force that must’ve taken.

On another note, wwaswas, do you have a link to the original carbon fibre barbs to the heart thread, I was trying to find it recently.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve been ban hammered for images twice and I’m not sure if there’s a ‘3 strikes’ policy in operation…

Wot? Similar to the above? No gore/death, and the guy seems fine. I give it a PG certification.

wwaswas

Similar to the above?

*unsure if this is discussing moderators activities so keeps schtum beyond saying; ‘no, not similar’*

woody2000

I wonder if the brake lever started the digging rather than the bar end?

highclimber
    Free Member

owchy ouch ouch.

wilburt
    Free Member

Social media eh, he gets all the attention.

I did that with a motorbike in 1985 but didn’t get my picture all over the web!

stumpy01

lemonysam – Member
    Can’t see how a bar end plug would do much given the force that must’ve taken

Surface area with a bar end plug is much larger than a thin, ‘relatively sharp’, tube end.

Imagine pushing a pastry cutter into your hand, then doing the same with a disc of solid material the same diameter…..

lemonysam
    Free Member

stumpy01

lemonysam – Member

Imagine pushing a pastry cutter into your hand, then doing the same with a disc of solid material the same diameter…..

Obviously, however the force required to force a bar end plug into the tube isn’t that great* whereas the force required to push this through your body is pretty major. Obviously screw on end caps solve that but I’m not convinced that fairly soft plastic caps offer much protections, especially not the really flimsy OEM ones you sometimes get.

*I’ve done it just laying the bike down on the ground before.

So, don’t use flimsy ones? If you’ve managed to do that just laying a bike on the ground before, then they must have been really rubbish plugs or poorly fitting. Or you have a really heavy bike! 😉

I’ve never managed to force a bar end plug into a bar.

coatesy
    Free Member

We had a regular customer who re-appeared after a six month vanishing act, turned out he’d spent the time in hospital after having his open handlebar pushed right through his stomach. There’s more than one reason i’ve kept my bar-ends.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    lemonysam – Member
    Can’t see how a bar end plug would do much given the force that must’ve taken
    Surface area with a bar end plug is much larger than a thin, ‘relatively sharp’, tube end.

Except this is very different.

Consider the relative surface area difference of your analogy vs the story. And the pressure on the area that would havebeeen covered by a plug.

njee20
    Free Member

A lot of alu bars do have pretty ‘sharp’ ends. Thick walled carbon bars less so. I’ve got some New Ultimate alu flat bars here that would do serious damage!

Mandatory for racing, they’ve checked bikes a few times recently too.

bigblackshed

Was it Cedric Garcia that could have very nearly bled out with a handle bar in the groin?

I only put Hope bar plugs on for bling value. Now I find out I’m being all ‘elf & savety.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m surprised that he didn’t snap his femur too.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Get some bar end plugs people’ is closed to new replies.