Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • gervais golden globe monologue
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvHXzP2SpLA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

made me laugh, apologies if its already been done…

Blower
    Free Member

Quality 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

The American newspaper reviewers just don’t quite get British humour, lots of comments like he’ll never work in this town again flying around 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Personal taste I know, but gives new meaning to the phrase “vagina monologue” to me.

locomotive

Excellent, I hate those self congratulatory/mutual backslapping award events.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Very funny, but please no more pompous “they don’t get British humour”.

In the same way that My Family, 2 Pints of Lager, etc. are so much funnier than Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Arrested Development etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

Very funny, but please no more pompous “they don’t get British humour”.
    In the same way that My Family, 2 Pints of Lager, etc. are so much funnier than Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Arrested Development etc.

Amen brother.

clubber
    Free Member

Actually, saying that they don’t get it doesn’t mean that their humour is inferior though and the examples given clearly show that. My experience (working for an American company) is that there is a lot of Brit humour that they really do not get.

Many people confuse a shared language with shared culture

plumber
    Free Member

His introduction for a lot of the ‘stars’ were much more cutting than that and I for one loved it – good to see him back doing fantastic humour instead of that office bollocks

grumm
    Free Member

Teehee 😀

LHS
    Free Member

Think he’s an idiot, and its a shame he represents British Humour IMPO. A one trick pony whos only attempt at being funny is by being overly cutting about other people. Not true comedy really.

IMPO of course!

Northwind

Next year send Frankie Boyle, that’d probably lead to a declaration of war

johnners
    Free Member

That was a pretty drab performance by Gervais, particularly after he built it up so much.

donsimon
    Free Member

“It’s going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking – or as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast.”

Funny.

On Jennifer Lopez – “She’s just Jenny from the block. If the block in question is that one on Rodeo Drive between Cartier and Prada.”

Funny.

While introducing Robert Downey Jr – “Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail.”

Less funny.

There is an element that humour doesn’t travel, clubber has hit the nail. Having worked with Americans I can confidently say that they don’t do sarcasm. 🙄 And they definitely don’t get the personal pseudo insulting stuff among friends. 🙄
    I’m not so sure we share the same language though. 😕

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I work with Americans who are sarcastic, ironic, and often self-deprecating.

So, either I know some odd Americans or some people are too quick repeat trite stereotypical views in order to make themselves look superior.

“American’s don’t do sarcasm”, er like, hello?

donsimon
    Free Member

Not the ones I worked with, er, goodbye!

boblo
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    I’m not so sure we share the same language though.

Yeah we do, we share theirs. More and more as time goes by. 🙁

noteeth
    Free Member

Mark Twain was funnier than most – and certainly ‘got’ irony.

He was American, iirc.

LHS
    Free Member

So, either I know some odd Americans or some people are too quick repeat trite stereotypical views in order to make themselves look superior.

Indeed, I work with and live with Americans and I can quite categorically say that the stereotype (like all stereotypes) just isn’t true. Superiority complex indeed.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yeah we do, we share theirs. More and more as time goes by.

Is it just me, or are the Americans changing the stress on more and more words?

scotabroad

Allright for a Saturday night stand up, but as a host presenter, pretty insulting to the folks that were there.

clubber
    Free Member

I didn’t say that it makes us superior just different and I’ll hold with that particularly as the Americans I know agree. The ones who have spent plenty of time here say they’ve learnt to spot it but it’s still not a natural thing in the same way that many Americans can cone across as boastful to us whereas it’s just a cultural thing and actually usually nothing of the sort.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I personally think it wasn’t funny, I like Gervais as a writer but he comes across as exactly the kind of person he takes the mick out of now.

A shame really.

I know a lot of Americans who get English humour, however – My Family, 2 Pints of Lager etc aren’t actually humour. But they are English. And they’re s**t.

matthewjb
    Free Member

“American’s don’t do sarcasm”

Yes of course. I mean just look at things like Frasier, Seinfeld etc.

I thought the speech had some funny points.

The Tom Cruise joke should guarantee Gervais is not in Mission Impossible 8 anyway.

But I’m not sure a joke mentioning Robert Downey Jr has a problem with drugs can be thought of as fresh or particularly funny though. It’s not as if Downey has ever hidden it is it.

speaker2animals

He’s so anti the big star/LA thing that he has got the Hollywood teeth and the lettuce leaf diet look.

But perhaps he’s done that for it’s ironic quality.
    bonk!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

speaker2animals +1.

clubber
    Free Member

Oh I didn’t think it was particularly funny fwiw. Mean spirited mainly. It felt to me like he’s made enough cash and maybe tried a bit too hard to show he hasn’t sold out knowing that he can afford to.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m with clubber on this one – was pleased to see Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (I think it was) put him back in his place a little.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I want to see on youtube the bollocking he got off-stage midway through 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I lol’d at the Hugh Heffner joke. Bit close to the bone I think for some there, but you don’t get that famous as a comedian by playing it safe and not getting yourself noticed!

locomotive

Not sure why people think this has anything to do with British/American humour…

…is he not just ripping the p**s out of the ego inflated hollywood liggers (admittedly this probably include him these days) – he seemed to pay a lot of respect to the genuine talent.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mean spirited mainly.

Agree with this. It’s clearly rather uncomfortable for the audience.

scotabroad

was pleased to see Tom Hanks and Tim Allen (I think it was) put him back in his place a little.

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL! Very good! More please. Very funny. Well done. I like!

I mean they all earn millions as Hollywood stars then they should have the skin thicker than that of a hippo to withstand the target of media or sick jokes.

In fact that should be a norm really whether they like it or not. Tough shite if they don’t like it. They are perfectly legitimate to be the target of sick jokes, in fact not sick enough. They need sick jokes to keep themselves in profile.

Put it this way, if they are not popular nobody will make jokes of them since they are not in the media spotlight. But they are already in the news etc but keep being stupid and when people start to make fun of them because of their own stupidity then that’s fair game.

Bloody gods I mean celebrities … shite. 🙄

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Introducing Bruce Willis as Ashton Kutchers dad was piss…..

Nick

I thought the Downer Junior joke was quite funny really, more aimed at the audience than the man himself.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Funnier than much stuff he has done.

Anyone who thinks the yanks don’t do irony sarcasm and friendly abuse has missed Colbert, John Stewart, 30 rock and celebrity roasts.

And even Ralf Little was embarsssed by 2 pints.

Nick

Looks like there’s going to be a piece about it on the 10 o’clock news in a bit.

NZCol

I think he was pretty good, i mean, most of these affairs are boring and comedy is often jokes made at the expense of others. If they are overpaid, blisteringly cool, earnest actors and actresses then more power to him i reckon.

Northwind

Some of it was pretty good, some of it was just cringey, and he didn’t really seem to know which was which. The “straight actors pretending to be gay” joke just didn’t scan at all, it was like they’d broken the joke to avoid being sued but then went ahead with it anyway. Still, more good than bad from what I’ve seen.

I imagine next year they’ll get someone lovely, some empty suit with nothing in their head but sunshine and rainbows and a slavish devotion to the script they’ve been handed. Ah well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘gervais golden globe monologue’ is closed to new replies.