Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Germany/Austrian autobahn rest areas – sleeping allowed?
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Planning an epic and low-budget European car holiday at the moment. It looks like I’m going to be cris-crossing Germany a couple of times.

One quick question: does anyone know if you’re still allowed to park up and sleep overnight at the Raststätten/autobahn service and rest areas? Or is it like the UK where you have to pay if you’re going to be there more than 2 hours and you’re not allowed to sleep there?

I’ll be in a car, not a campervan etc, if that makes any difference…

I remember doing it about a decade ago but don’t know whether I was lucky or whether that was how it was supposed to be. And I assume it’s not the same on the French autoroutes, is it?

Marge
    Free Member

I do this quite frequently. 🙂 (my boss gets mad at me for doing so but I find it most convenient & the best use of time)
    There are a surprisingly large number of people that seem to do it! Particularly Eastern Europeans during their pan-Europe trips.

No signs saying you cannot & never had anyone complain.

konabunny
    Free Member

awesome, thanks for confirming! looks like i WILL be able to eat after all! 😆

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Germany/Austrian autobahn rest areas – sleeping allowed?’ is closed to new replies.