Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Germany – UK. Rhein cycle path….
  • alpin
    Free Member

toying with the idea of cycling 'home' sometime in September before it gets too cold.

has anyone riding along the Rhein?

i did many years ago and only from Mulhouse to Strasbourg. i remember the path being gravelly….

is it also true for the lower section (Mainz/Wiessbaden)?

i would be taking the fixie and follwing the Itz, the Main and Rhein rivers into Holland and then the ferry from Rotterdam. ideally the paths are asphalted, or at best well compacted because of the skinny tyres.

guessing there aren't too many hills seeing as it's a river.

and how many days should ~900km take on the flat? 150km/day is do-able, isn't it? that only about 6 hours in the saddle per day….

oh and lastly… my rims are 22 0r 23mm wide. what is the largest tyre is can wrap them in without the tyre folding/popping off?

cheers
    J

konabunny
    Free Member

Did it a few years ago from Hook of Holland to Cologne but bailed out because of endless pissing rain – it was the year all of Europe flooded.

IIRC, the path was mostly asphalt with the very occasional bit of gravel. Having said that, I was riding an MTB with fat slicks so I wouldn't have minded/remembered the rougher bits as much as if I were riding a road bike with skinnies.

konabunny
    Free Member

PS if you do do it and have a GPS – please make a tracklog and upload it to Google Maps, bizarrely there doesn't seem to be a Google Maps overlay for much of that route!

alpin
    Free Member

no GPS, sorry.

have a look at googleEarth…. the path runs parralel to the river..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Germany – UK. Rhein cycle path….’ is closed to new replies.