Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • German speeding ticket
  • professor_fate
    Free Member

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of the aforementioned ticket through the post. No issue with getting it as was in the area on the date stated, but it was over three months ago!
    Got a reply to an email I sent to the issuing office asking if it was normal for this to take so long – apparently it is… so much for German efficiency in this digital age.

Drac

Andy_K

If it was your own car and you’re likely to be back there again, i’d pay it.

Hire car…. Not so much perhaps.

big_scot_nanny

If its anyhting like the swiss and german processes that I have experienced – pay it. They will never forget, and every day it goes overdue the fines rack up. They will also find you eventually and then it will get really stressful.

MSP

so much for German efficiency in this digital age.

You got it, that is efficiency, half the UK speeding enforcement would just give up on a foreign numberplate.

And yeah pay it, they won’t go away.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Pay it before they add the fines to the Brexit bill.
    Or even worse they send big AM round to collect. 😯

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Send them a Nigel Farage postcard in lieu of payment.

Or a Boris Johnson “Go and whistle” novelty fridge magnet.

TheBrick
    Free Member

German efficiency is a lie. German love of rules is the truth. You have broken the rules and have been tracked down, with duplicate paperwork.

professor_fate
    Free Member

It was my car with me driving it, the nice digital pic shows my mug clearly. Only a €20 fine for 13 k’s over the limit but paying the intl money transfer via my bank cost £4 (would’ve cost £9 to do it in branch or by phone).

rickmeister

Is it from a company called Media Incasso by any chance, who administer tickets?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Get Bo Jo to tell them to go swivel for it!

MSP

Incasso

= debt collectors.

Only a €20 fine

Yeah, in the range of offence that they are really just reminding you that they are watching, you would get no points either unless you get 3 such offences in 12 months.

professor_fate
    Free Member

The penalty seems to have been generated by the local Stadt. How can they impose points on a foreign license, unless it’s done via our dvla.

MSP

I mean Germans would get no points.

enfht
    Free Member

They started it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No they didn’t.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have had a couple from Switzerland, paid up. Never had any from France.

In theory they can add points but for a normalish speeding fine I think its very unlikely.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I too had a stonker from Basel, not far from the border.. yeah I was driving, yeah I was over the limit by 20ks and yeah it was raining and dusk and yeah my lights weren’t on either..
    3 sunny weeks in Lugano and headed home to a letter containing a fine of CHF210..

That’s quite efficient I reckon.

enfht
    Free Member

Yes they did, they invaded Poland.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I mentioned it once. But I think I got away with it!

andytherocketeer

How can they impose points on a foreign license, unless it’s done via our dvla.

they don’t.

they put points on a computer in Flensburg, attached to a licence with a specified licence number.

so you have points (1 probably?) in Germany, but not UK. 3 more like that and you’ll be banned for driving in germany for a month, regardless of where your licence was issued.

it’s all quite abusable as a foreigner though.

professor_fate
    Free Member

I’d expect the Swiss to be efficient, but 10 weeks to generate a (presumably) digital speeding penalty – jeez, that’s glacial! Then there’s the 2 weeks it took to post me the notification… and should I fight the ticket there’d be insufficient time to return the attached form before another fine was imposed. Perhaps it’s a scheme to generate extra fines.

WillH

professor_fate – Member
    It was my car with me driving it, the nice digital pic shows my mug clearly. Only a €20 fine for 13 k’s over the limit but paying the intl money transfer via my bank cost £4 (would’ve cost £9 to do it in branch or by phone).

Use Transferwise, it’ll cost you about 90p.

andytherocketeer

all speeding tickets are revenue raising.
    calling them “safety cameras” was just brainwashing.
    €20 is a bargain.

Dutch ones were the most efficient. Fill in a/c no., sign, date send it to your bank. All the susbsequent bills come prefilled with your a/c no. just like any other bill, so even less to do. And so cheap, it’ll cost you to contest. And they have a Gatso on practically every traffic light there, so a ticket is basically an occupational hazard for anyone driving.

PePPeR

Another vote for transferwise here!

cranberry
    Free Member

If you’d like I could pop over to Flensburg and have a word, I would charge minimum expenses and hardly ever try the local pilsner.

And Schweinshaxe.

davosaurusrex

Flens, Flens, Flens, Flens, Flens!

enfht
    Free Member

Nobody speeds in the Netherlands because they’re all nicely baked.

slowoldman

It’s war.

Why not just alter your numberplate slightly with a bit of black tape e.g F becomes E. Their ANPR won’t work as they don’t have immediate DVLA database access.

hot_fiat

Pay up. You can now get points from European speeding offences. Thanks to the fantastic efficiency of our civil service, the way we’ve implemented the reciprocal law means we cannot do other European drivers ourselves.

Switzerland is different. There it’s not a fixed penalty offence and is dealt with in a similar fashion to regular crime. You can in theory be extradited (I don’t think this has actually happened) They offered me the chance to pay £210 or spend two nights in some free accommodation of their choice. I paid up.

Cougar

€20? How is this even a point of debate?

ransos
    Free Member

speeding tickets are revenue raising.
    calling them “safety cameras” was just brainwashing.
    €20 is a bargain.

Give over, the fine here probably doesn’t cover the admin costs.

jam-bo

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Member
    Why not just alter your numberplate slightly with a bit of black tape e.g F becomes E. Their ANPR won’t work as they don’t have immediate DVLA database access

Just steal a car. I doubt they’d catch you.

I got 10 Euro speeding fine leaving Hamburg airport a few years back which I thought was quite reasonable. 55km/h in a 50km/h zone. Even got a nice photo.

The £45 charge from avis to tell me about it stung a bit more.

scotia
    Free Member

i wouldnt bother questioning who it was that slowed the process down to 3months, but it might not be the german side of things?

It doesnt really change your day so why make the point?

alpin
    Free Member

You can now get points from European speeding offences. Thanks to the fantastic efficiency of our civil service, the way we’ve implemented the reciprocal law means we cannot do other European drivers ourselves.

Sitting on the other side of the channel with a German plated van I’ve had stuff through the post, admittedly months later, from the Dartford Crossing and the LEZ bollox.

I managed to set off several cameras in France in summer (three speeding, one red light) and got the fines through the post 10 weeks later.

German fines are usually so low that they hardly register. A few km over and you get a small fine. I’ve got quite a collection of photos. Never been going that fast that I’ve been given any points.

I have however been given a point on my driving licence for riding my bike. 🙄

professor_fate
    Free Member

The point of my annoyance is that here in Blighty …

If you weren’t stopped by the police for the speeding offence (eg it was caught by speed camera), the vehicle’s registered keeper must be sent a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days.

…the fine is of little consequence.
    I’m amazed we’re more efficient than the Boxheads in this matter!

uggski

I have however been given a point on my driving licence for riding my bike.

Bicycle? How did you manage that?

Bicycle? How did you manage that?

In Germany they actually do that for a fine over 45 Euro. Thank God for Brexit.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of 20 euro fines in Germany. One I paid the other never gave any bank details of how I could pay online so despite getting a second reminder I never paid it. Never heard anything further and they still let me enter the country and rent cars there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘German speeding ticket’ is closed to new replies.