Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Georges Jobe RIP
  • rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Always a sad day when one of your boy/adult hood heroes dies.

The day at Hawkstone where he jumped the sandpit (and Andre Malherbe) will stay with UK motocross fans of a certain age forever (even if we won’t forgive him beating Hudson and Nicoll for 250 and 500 championships)!

Leukimia and cancer really don’t take notice of reputation and toughness 🙁

RIP Georges.

Marge
    Free Member

Well said. A strong man who fought a number of challenges in recent years.

Drillski
    Free Member

Plus one. He was definitely out of a different mould.
    RIP JG

chipsngravy
    Free Member

One of the Greatest.

RIP.

Pigface
    Free Member

Very sad news he bridged the gap between the old school motor cross and what MotoX is now. Fantastic rider.

RIP Georges Jobe

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Yep, rode in the era when it was still a sport worth watching.

Really miss the yearly trips to Namur and Luxembourg every August. (CX world cup race at the Citadelle this weekend).

singlespeedstu

😥

I think we need to see this again.

I’ll never forget seeing him ride.
    That day at Hawkstone was one of the greatest sporting moments i’ve ever seen.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

A glorious but sad picture allround, what with Andre ending up in a wheelchair a couple of years later.

Pretty much sums up my teenage years though, travelling around Britain and Europe with my parents every weekend. 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

P.S. who thought it was a great idea to move the 500GP from Farleigh to Hawkstone and let the Belgians play in the sand?

Thorpe, Nicoll and the other Brits must have had the right hump.

shanta
    Free Member

Shizzle…i used to worship Thorpey and the like when i was a nipper..its all about xfighter back flips these days

Drillski
    Free Member

Anyone remember the year prior to that pic, at Farleigh, when Merv the Swerv ( i think?) took out THorpey on the first corner in the first leg ( back in the days of proper two times 40 mins plus two laps races!), it didn’t want to fire up again. Thorpey eventually appeared over a minute behind the last man, and began one of the most epic charges in the history of Motocross. Inside four laps he was back in the lead having scorched through the entire field like they weren’t there! There then ensued an epic race long battle with title rival that year Andre Malherbe, during which I believe they lapped everyone up to 4th place. Thorpey won it. I believe I still have damamge to my vocal chords done that day!
    DT, AM, EG and GJ ……… Gladiators.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pnSNR4_26s&sns=em [/video]

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Speaking of Hawkstone, a certain Danny Hart will be entering this years pre-season international in February, as will I. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Good luck at Hawkstone arrrrggghhh the sand 😯 😆

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s actually not as difficult to ride as it used to be. It’s getting down to the harder stuff underneath so it tends not to suck the bike in quite as much.

Jobes and the like in the 80’s had it really tough around there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Georges Jobe RIP’ is closed to new replies.