Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • george rr martin : a song of ice and fire
  • kimbers

ok ive got 2 books to go, how annoyed am i gonna be, im enjoying it more than the wheel of time, is that good or bad?

this is what im talking about…….

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/article/784607–do-yourself-a-favour-don-t-read-this-book

ji
    Free Member

Join the club. Anyway AGoT is way better than Robert Jordan's stuff, where the later books seemd to be just padding. Over 1,000 pages on the events of 1 or 2 days iirc! And not even exciting days.

At least the HBO tv series seems to be progressing well, and has had some good review for the pre-screens to critics.

kimbers

winter is comming in april

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ5p18wIQEI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

It’s what you get when writers produce epic book series where each volume’s the size of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica. It’s no different to any author writing a decent sized book, though, it takes a hell of a lot longer to write, edit, re-write, typeset, proofread, correct, check, print, bind and distribute that it does to read the damned book. Terry Pratchett at his most productive had three books on the go at once. Kate Griffin, one of my favourite fantasy authors, only manages one book a year, her two adult Urban Magic books are 450-460 pages, and the third, out next month, will probably be about the same. She manages to write the occasional teen fantasy book in between, and hold down a job as a freelance theatre lighting designer as well. She at least is fairly prolific, managing eleven books in nine years, the first published when she was fourteen…
    William Gibson hasn’t managed that in nearly thirty years of writing. Slacker.

Northwind

If you’re needing a fix of something vaguely similiar you could try Joe Abercrombie- there should be a subgenre “fantasy in which every character is a dick”. A lot of people recommended me R Scott Bakker as well but I don’t think he’s half as good, still, all the characters are dicks so there’s always that.

The nice thing about George Martin is that, even though he writes enormously thick novels, he’s not as horrendously in need of an editor like Peter Hamilton or Neal Stevenson or the dreaded Robert Jordan. The books are only huge because there’s lots of stuff in them. I guess at this point he’s not succesful enough that the publishers just release any old s**t without ever saying “Er, how about you write an ending” or “Robert, perhaps something should actually happen in this one?” Just reading the Hedge Knight just now funnilly enough.

Also, he looks like a lighthouse keeper from a children’s cartoon, which is always a plus.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘george rr martin : a song of ice and fire’ is closed to new replies.