Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)
  • George Osborne
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Surely something like Anthony Wedgewood Benn is a little more highbrow?

C’mon Elfin, thats unfair!

now then a title like 2nd Viscount Stansgate – thats a proper example of feudalism being alive and well in the UK…

what, a millionaire, with one son being the heir apparent to the title, and the other an MP who became third generation of the family to serve in the cabinet, plus his Grandaughter ran as an MP as well..

now, if that ‘aint feudalism, I don’t know what is 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Surely something like Anthony Wedgewood Benn is a little more highbrow?

Indeed. Anthony Neil Wedgwood Benn formerly 2nd Viscount Stansgate to be precise 🙂

Edit: Zulu beat me to it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

duntmatter
    Free Member

Watching Peter Mandelson toy with Osbourne on the documentary shown recently was amusing, and revealing. Irrespective of their policies or likeabilty, it was clear PM ran rings round GO. GO was left bemused, and not really understanding what had just happened to him. The guy is not the sharpest tool in the box.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I wasn’t talking about feudalism as such; we know that the system we have is pretty much feudalism with just a thin veneer of democracy anyway. I was merely enquiring as to why a person’s name is important? IE, what’s so bad about Gideon?

Most of ’em are from privileged backgrounds anyway, so names like Rupert or Tarquin or Poncious aren’t really going to be a surprise, are they?

Not enough good Muslim names in British Politics if you ask me. Why not? Bloody racist is why not. It’s like they’re ashamed to be Muslim…

Time for a few words from our Glorious Community Leader:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKP89Bi8EFM[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Such a normal background these guys come from. I bet they really understand what real life is

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bozza’s just put all the fares up in London. He’s done this because he’s obviously really in touch with the needs of ‘ordinary’ Londoners of course…

elliott-20
    Free Member

Welcome back to the 80’s – up to our necks in shite and riots.

But seriously and I’m sure I will be opening myself up, Labour had reduced national debt and were continuing to do so until the global financial crisis hit the fan and we had to bail out the banks.

Interesting thing is that if we sold all the bank assets we own it would pretty much clear the debt. This makes for an interesting read:

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/campaigns/campaign-resources/there-is-an-alternative-the-case-against-cuts-in-public-spending.cfm

So what ConDem and Osborn is doing with the with their cuts and VAT rise is beyond me.

Rio

what ConDem and Osborn is doing with the with their cuts and VAT rise is beyond me

I expect they’re trying to reduce the deficit, not the debt. Easy mistake to make – many politicians don’t understand the difference either.

Labour had reduced national debt and were continuing to do so until the global financial crisis hit the fan and we had to bail out the banks

Nulab ran with a deficit from 2002. Bank problems started in 2007 and didn’t really have an impact until 2008, and as you have said selling of the government’s stakes in the banks will reduce the debt but will not address the deficit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

elliot

Its ideological. Destroy the public sector is the aim. Increase profits for their friends by privatisation. Screw the poor.

Rio – its a shame the cuts have the opposite effect. reduces tax take and increases dole costs

johnners
    Free Member

The BBs dress like the Ruritanian National Guard.

Rio

TJ – I didn’t comment on the method, I just get extremely annoyed when people can’t understand the difference between deficit and debt, after all it’s not hard. Makes me angry when people do it on TV and the radio too! 👿

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fairy snuff – I see that now.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Its ideological. Destroy the public sector is the aim

And your belief in the public sector isn’t ideological then TJ?

perhaps the aim is to reduce the size of the public sector to one that can be afforded within national taxation revenues without additional borrowing… Now, you can either do that through shrinking public sector spending, or you can do it by increasing taxation, however sooner or later you’re going to hit the Laffer curve…

Conqueror
    Free Member

Yeah I haven’t read every post on here

But a couple of things

google search “millionaires in cabinet” … turns out theres 23

so these are the people who know about debt management 😯

oh and now VATs gone up.. they can waste more of our money without actually reducing debt 😯

chewkw
    Free Member

Too strong a public sector you are in deep shite – greedy buggers all round.

Too strong a private sector you are in deep shite too – greedy buggers all round again.

So no matter who you blame just blame it on yourself that you are shite (me too) because you don’t have enough money. Simple.

Take the shite and move on … life is shite and we are all wallowing in shite.

You are shite. Yes, you, you bunch of maggots. I step on you. Bow down to Dear Leader.

😈

cinnamon_girl

I swear to Gawd/Keith Bontrager, that if there was a group ride involving ALL STWers (inc all lurkers, trolls, attenshun whores, audi drivers, cheese nichers, the awesome & the banned), it would either usher in the New Golden Age of Consensus and Harmony or trigger another Civil War (dibbs on the roundhead body armour, please). Whatever, it’s got to be worth a try…

Perhaps CG could look into it?

Crikey, I would be terrified. Enforcements would be needed but if it took place at Swinley Forest, fortunately the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (where officers are trained) is adjacent. I’m sure some charming officers could be on standby.

Oh wait – that wouldn’t work would it cos they’re mostly public school educated. 🙄

As you were you ‘orrible lot. 🙂

Conqueror
    Free Member

how about communism

don’t say its not viable – as you say we are shafted anyway
    🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Conqueror – Member

how about communism

don’t say its not viable – as you say we are shafted anyway

Shite too because there are always some greedy buggers trying to shaft everyone. Shite all round. Shite. 😈

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sandhurst? Hmm, let’s have a look at some of their Alumni:

Oswald Mosely
    Various despots and dictators
    James Blunt.

😯

Seems ideal actually…

If we had a big meet at Swinley, would it turn into a proper fight, with knives and garrotting equipment? Punji sticks? Landmines?

Ooh I do hope so!

(Is quite excited)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If things start getting really out of hand we can just put James Blunt in a big wicker caravan and burn him… should restore some unity.

(Is quite excited too)

Woody
    Free Member

Can I be the first to congratulate chewkw on his most excellent use of the word ‘shite’.

trailmonkey

we can just put James Blunt in a big wicker caravan and burn him

That would very nearly, just about, inspire me to drive for 3 hours to ride at Swinley.

But not quite.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Woody – Member

Can I be the first to congratulate chewkw on his most excellent use of the word ‘shite’.

is it just me? or does chewkw finally seem to be making some sense?

no offense meant Chewie, your posts are almost always entertaining, and almost always completely baffling.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But not quite.

You can kick him the nuts first?

trailmonkey

I’m in

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

unity? I’ll give you flaming unity youngfellamelad

davesmum
    Free Member

There’s no point in me joining the Labour vs Tory debate, they are all crooks. But TJ, how can you say…

Low inflation, stable growth, low interest rates for over a decade

Low inflation? Yeah right… Gordon’s hand picked inflation measures. Remind me again, what happened to house prices during the Labour government? Did they experience low inflation? And did they play a large part in the financial collapse? And did the government do anything to intervene? And did Gordon Brown state ‘I will not let house prices get out of control’ early on in Labours first term whilst he was chancellor?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Daves mum – any measure you want of inflation. it was low and steady. This cannot be disputed – cpi or rpi. Absolute fact

More house price inflation happened under the tories – and no one was complaining at the time.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    “Like James Gordon Brown did, you mean?”

Not sure of the details of that one, can you shed any light?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wonder if it has actually ever propperly kicked off on an STW ride?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKaeWkYbqk[/video]

‘Ow! That really hurt!’

‘Stoppit you’re so mean and nasty’

‘I’m going to repowt you to the modewatorws you beast’

davesmum
    Free Member

Low and steady unless you wanted to buy a home right? In which case it was crippling? But it isn’t as if buying a home is something where inflation is a bad thing though, right? Because with low inflation, you will be able to afford to buy a plasma TV, as they are cheap nowadays, thankfully.

As I said, I’m not interested in Tory vs Labour, but if you want to compare it to the Tory housing bubble of the 80’s then the peak ratio of first time buyers wages to house price was 3.9 in ’88, and 5.4 in 2007. (Source http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/graphs-ftb-average-house-price-to-earnings-ratio.php)
    Quite a difference don’t you think? And this after Gordon had said he would put an end to boom and bust, and stop house prices getting out of control.

But oh no, the financial crisis was due to the Americans. Not us. Oh no.

BTW – In the interests of fairness, I’m sure plenty of people did complain during the Tory bubble too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Low inflation. Thats the simple fact. Including housing costs – the numbers are all there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

edit – can’t be bothered

davesmum
    Free Member

Including housing costs? You are kidding me?

I suspect that you and I aren’t going to agree on this, so perhaps best to call it a draw and leave it at that?

Have a nice evening anyway TJ 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’re not really Dave’s Mum, are you daves mum?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Just to stoke the fires a bit more, how many managers of private companies are rubbing their hands with glee that they will soon be able to pick up cheaply, some highly trained, highly motivated ex public sector staff to drive their businesses forward during this period of economic recovery?
    Thought not. Not one person I know in the private sector would consider employing ex public sector staff. So it looks like unemployment will remain high for quite a while. It’s like trying to mix oil and water. It’s ideological, it is just not going to happen.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes. Including housing costs. i suggest you look at the figures – its indisputable. Its not a matter of opinion. Its a fact.

davesmum
    Free Member

TJ – I don’t want to drag this out, but if you could send me a link to said figures, I would genuinely be interested to have a look at them. If you can’t be bothered, then no worries.

Cheers

Daves Mum

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘George Osborne’ is closed to new replies.