• This topic has 44 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • George Osborne booed at Olympics
  • kimbers

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0nMtSJDrGc[/video]

Im loving the top voted comment on youtube

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Not the time or place to me. Dignified silence, and then cheer the athlete who won.

Booing G.O. at any other time, in Tescos – when he drives past – when talks about us all being in it together – when he’s getting his morning paper etc, fine by me!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Coyote
    Free Member

Why the **** was he invited to take part???

Agree with the top voted comment.

vinnyeh

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Not the time or place to me. Dignified silence, and then cheer the athlete who won.

Booing G.O. at any other time, in Tescos – when he drives past – when talks about us all being in it together – when he’s getting his morning paper etc, fine by me!

I’m sure.

The public don’t have too many opportunities to really get the message across. Just occasionally, it’s necessary to humiliate someone a little to force them to consider their actions.

camo16
    Free Member

GO surely must have expected the reaction…

During that foul forced chuckle he looks like he wants the earth to open up and swallow him – which is weird, because that’s exactly what I wanted, too.

sas
    Free Member

Not the time or place to me.

You’re absolutely right. It wasn’t the time or place for George Osborne.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

he wants the earth to open up and swallow him – which is weird, because that’s exactly what I wanted, too.

You wanted to swallow him?

unklehomered
    Free Member

The public don’t have too many opportunities to really get the message across. Just occasionally, it’s necessary to humiliate someone a little to force them to consider their actions.

and

You’re absolutely right. It wasn’t the time or place for George Osborne.

both valid comments I can’t argue with… It was a poorly thought out choice, the reaction was predictable.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There is an irony associated with booing the man that people see responsible for cutting disability benefits, at an event which proves disability should be no impediment to leading a normal (working) life.

Junkyard
    Free Member

AYe + 1 for that comment and what were they thinking of and shows how much nouse and common sense the clueless fool has that he did this- has he no shame ?[ that is rhetorical]

kimbers

geetee1972 – Member

There is an irony associated with booing the man that people see responsible for cutting disability benefits, at an event which proves disability should be no impediment to leading a normal (working) life.

partly true but the paralympics is a seperate event from the olympics, all things are not equal in the workplace, last year when I bust my foot i had the joy of making a few trips by tube whilst on crutches was a nightmare and impossible for anyone in a wheelchair, its also very stressful for with a buggy!

vinnyeh

How’s that then? You normally argue with a bit of reasoning, but not this time.
    Surely if your assertion was correct then all these athletes would have qualified for, and participated in the events a few weeks back.

binners

Its unbelievable that any one of the present Tory front bench are hard-faced enough to turn up. Though we should hardly be surprised by such monumental arrogance. What was he expecting? A heroes welcome?

The better half has worked extensively with disabled charities over the last few years. So I’ve witnessed, first hand, this governments deliberate targetting of the disabled as a soft target for cuts.

Its an absolute disgrace that this shower of bastards have chosen the most vulnerable in society, and set out to demonise them as layabouts and scroungers, before cutting their benefits to the bone. The effects that this is having on people least able to cope should shame anyone with a shred of humanity. But then that the rub with these inhumane bastards isn’t it? Tories? I hate ’em!!!

compassionate conservatism

geetee1972
    Free Member

I said it was ironic, not that they were all wrong to boo him.

To counter your point, only slightly mind because I don’t think this argument holds in all cases: normal lives for the majority of able bodied people does not involve competing at Olympic level. These athletes are competing at the top of their game, which, while behind that of able bodied Olympic athletes, is far beyond that of most other able bodied people.

footflaps

I was reading this last night: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/sep/03/disabled-benefits-claimants-fines-work

How GO can turn up to the Paralympics, whilst doing everything he can to stick it to the Disabled via ATOS, is beyond belief.

Still someone has to pay for all those millionaires who avoid tax.

maccruiskeen

apropos of nothing.. I’m putting my dads affairs in order in preparation for his funeral next week. That includes returning his blue badge. Something the paraolympics proves is that people with disabilities aren’t helpless, or that they are people that don’t need help – it proves that they are help-able, that with help they can flourish.

In celebration of the paraolympics and recognise their support for the games I’m of a notion to toast my dad by pouring milk into the airvents of lazy drivers parked in disabled spaces in Sainsbury’s supermarkets 🙂

IHN

Something the paraolympics proves is that people with disabilities aren’t helpless, or that they are people that don’t need help – it proves that they are help-able, that with help they can flourish.

Chapeau, sir, chapeau.

geetee1972
    Free Member

by pouring milk into the airvents of lazy drivers parked in disabled spaces in Sainsbury’s supermarkets

This is something that really boils my blood as well. I tend to challenge people when I see them doing it; leave it just at the ‘i’m the guy who’s pointing out to you the injustice of what you’re doing’ before moving on.

Something the paraolympics proves is that people with disabilities aren’t helpless, or that they are people that don’t need help – it proves that they are help-able, that with help they can flourish.

Then the failure of the government is not to position what have been spun by the left as ‘cuts’ as being just this; we aim to help people to help themselves; no one will be left behind but those that can be helped back to work will be.

Is this so bad? Is this not an enlightened policy that says we will not treat people with disability as being ineffective in society?

If for one moment the left could put aside the political sniping and point scoring, could we not have an effective dialogue about this?

kimbers

wonder if this could be the begining of the end for gideon, according to the torrygraph he wanted IDS out of welfare so he could get more cuts through, IDS was so pissed at gideons he decided to stay

nbt

Courtesy of miketually:

Why *did* 80,000 people boo George Osborne at the Olympics?

Because the stadium capacity is 80,000

maccruiskeen

leave it just at the ‘i’m the guy who’s pointing out

it was an empty threat, I’m allergic to milk 🙂

IHN

but those that can be helped back to work will be

I think the problem is that it’s all stick (benefits removed) and little, and in practice no, carrot (like actual practical help to get back into work).

If for one moment the left could put aside the political sniping and point scoring, could we not have an effective dialogue about this?

Probably, good luck with that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

we aim to help people to help themselves; no one will be left behind but those that can be helped back to work will be.

I’m happy to put aside the political sniping and point scoring to have an effective dialogue about this. Go on, tell me…..how are the Tories “helping” the disable ?

binners

Then the failure of the government is not to position what have been spun by the left as ‘cuts’ as being just this; we aim to help people to help themselves; no one will be left behind but those that can be helped back to work will be.

Is this so bad? Is this not an enlightened policy that says we will not treat people with disability as being ineffective in society?

Have you the slightest idea about what is actually happening on the ground to the disabled? How the ATOS system is ‘working’?

People with terminal cancer are being declared fit for work and their benefits removed. have a read of this

This is a cost-cutting exercise and nothing else. And it is utterly inhumane

IHN

Chris Grayling, who’s remit this was as Employment Minister, has just been announced as Justice Minister.

Now I can see some irony.

watsontony
    Free Member

i dont like mr osbourne, not because of the cuts, but because he is just a ****, i agree with most of the cuts but think some places need more cuts like the MP’s (mp= massive prick) or maybe try taxing the rich??? stop paying drunks and drug addicts disability for being pissed up, there is loads of things rong with this sorry state of a country and its them bunch of massive pricks ment to be fixing it. from wear im sat thay dont do shit, no good anyway…..STOP TRYING TO WIN VOTES AND DO WHATS RIGHT BY THE COUNTRY. OR AT LEAST FOLLOW THROUGH ON WHAT YOU HAVE SAID TO WIN THE VOTES….. but politicians have always been known for being **** and sadly always will

geetee1972
    Free Member

Binners I read the article you linked to and think that this is probably the most salient point it makes:

It is this government’s laissez faire attitude to whether those thrown off sickness benefits are able to move into the workplace that makes campaigners believe that underlying the harshness of this medical test is a desire to reduce the welfare bill at any cost.

It’s possible that everyone can agree with the principles behind the policy but vehemently oppose the way it’s being implemented.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Its an absolute disgrace that this shower of bastards have chosen the most vulnerable in society, and set out to demonise them as layabouts and scroungers, before cutting their benefits to the bone. The effects that this is having on people least able to cope should shame anyone with a shred of humanity. But then that the rub with these inhumane bastards isn’t it? Tories? I ****ing shit ’em!!!

^^^this is exactly why it was the right place to boo him. Not great for the athlete who recieved the medal, but a price worth paying.

yunki
    Free Member

Glorious..

I’m of a notion to toast my dad by pouring milk into the airvents of lazy drivers parked in disabled spaces in Sainsbury’s supermarkets

I’ll join you on that.. the parent and child parking needs regulating too

I said it was ironic, not that they were all wrong to boo him.

hmm.. but I imagine that there is a thriving community of disabled people with many support groups and community outreach projects.. and that there will have been many disabled spectators, or spectators with links to the disabled community, or a disabled family member or friend..
    all of whom may be affected by the cuts

In fact, if we look closely, I’m sure that every one of us will know someone or know someone who knows someone who was affected by the devastating benefits shake-up of 2010 where the government cut all disability benefits across the board whilst they hired a stasi to hunt for benefits cheats..
    This caused unknown distress and financial crisis for tens of thousands of people while they waited for appeals and tribunals to be heard.. and in some cases, unsupported mental health for eg. there were instances of homelessness, suicide and catastrophic relapse..
    Suicides weren’t the only deaths though, with more than one heart patient dying from stress related causes..

A new round of benefits cuts on top of this might well lead to a vulnerable sector of the community that already struggle to carve out a very meagre existence feeling rather persecuted at the hand of the present government..

what is ironic, is that even after all the extreme measures to cut fraud that seemed like they were from the last century, a visit to the zoo with my kids the other day revealed a percentage of fat people in wheelchairs and smackheads on crutches that far outweighed the able bodied folk.. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

as someone else who works in the field as well it would not be possibel to spin but you could lie

I deal with a number of those who are denied ESA and in all that time i have met one person [ out of circa 200] who was the typical Daily Mail BS spurious sickness claim

A person who had been in a car crash and had damage to her spine but she was declared fit for work. She had already had 3 operations and needed two more
    She has a letter from 2 consultants that she had to lie face down for 23 hours a day or risk paralysis – she was declared fit for work- no inidication was ever given as to the type of work she could do.

What the tories are doing has nothing to do with helping the disabled but it is about politically motivated cuts to the most vulnerable in society with teh quietest voices whilst ensuring we all listen to the very wealthy threatening to leave if we dont give them more tax incentives to stay

As usual help the rich and **** the poor

Shamefull then he turns up there with no shame or awareness…staggering

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you don’t want to have as effective dialogue about how the Tories are helping the disabled geetee ? After saying you wanted to do precisely that ? 🙁

Is it because you can’t think of any way in which the Tories are helping the disabled and it’s not just “political sniping and point scoring” by the Left after all ? 💡

binners

geetee1972 – like I said, the better half works with the disabled extensively. Being helped into work and to live full and productive lives is exactly what they want. Unfortunately what we’re seeing is classic politicians ‘unspeak’ – saying one thing and doing the polar opposite.

This lot don’t give a toss about helping the disabled into work or to lead fuller lives. Not one iota! All they’re concerned about is slashing the benefits bill, so they can deliver their rich friends some more tax breaks. And the disabled represent easy pickings. So what if some of their lives are made intolerable? Which is exactly whats happening with the removal of DLA, amongst other things. Who cares? Do you think George Osbourne looks like he does? Seriously?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Jeremy Hunt has been put in charge of Health.

Just staggering.

kimbers

Papa_Lazarou – Member

Jeremy Hunt has been put in charge of Health.

Just staggering.

I bet the private healthcare companies are jizzing themselves with joy, knowing that someone as easily bought as hunt is in position

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sometimes I wonder if they have any real idea of the consequences of their actions. None of them seem to have had any direct experience that may not have been softened by the benefit of their considerable personal wealth.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do you think George Osbourne looks like he does? Seriously?

I’ll tell you what I think.

I think you’ve made some important and excellent points; I think you’ve made me think a lot about my position and what I believe; but I also think that you and other people would have a lot more success actually changing people’s minds if you removed the vitriol from your arguments.

Your hate of the right will only ever be matched by an equivalent hate of the left.

I’m a swing voter but you’re not doing much to convince me to vote Labour again.

binners

Yes… well have you ever thought that those of us who are constantly exposed to the cold harsh realities of the limitless greed, and selfish, inhumane, and totally self-interested behavior of the (rich) tory right, might be somewhat justified in loathing the poisonous bastards?

Labour aren’t that different really. But at least they temper their genuflecting at the alter of bankers, the super-rich etc by at least attempting to mitigate some of the worse inequalities of capitalism

The Tory’s are more than happy to see those inequalities grow starker by the day. As when that happens they’re ALWAYS the winners

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I also think that you and other people would have a lot more success actually changing people’s minds if you removed the vitriol from your arguments.

Changing people’s minds ? Do you think most people agree with David Cameron and George Osborne concerning the disabled ? What do you base that on ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes… well have you ever thought that those of us who are constantly exposed to the cold harsh realities of the limitless greed, and selfish, inhumane, and totally self-interested behavior of the (rich) tory right, might be somewhat justified in loathing the poisonous bastards?

Honestly? No. It comes across as pitiful and spiteful carping from people who really should try harder to help themselves but would like to take a big fat slice of other people’s hard earned success because they’re too idle and feckless to make something of themselves.

You see how easy it is to push someone to the right just by attacking it?

Now if you’d appealed to my sense of humanity, my sense of fairness, my sense of logic and most importantly my intellect then you might have a stronger argument, if by that you mean you want to change my mind.

EDIT: note I was making that statement to illustrate a point, not because I believe it to be true in any instance. It can’t be, it’s a polemic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘George Osborne booed at Olympics’ is closed to new replies.