Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Geographical types- which UTM zone is Yorkshire in?
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

29, 30 or 31?

Cheers!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Davy
    Free Member

1973?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

are you not doing a geography degree?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

WTF is a UTM zone anyway?

Kuco

LOL I had to google it. I've heard of it but even after googling it i'm non the wiser.

jam-bo

WTF is a UTM zone anyway?

universal transverse mercator projection. commonly used by the military as a georeferencing system.

elaineanne
    Free Member

how about 30 and three quaters ? does it realy matter ? :mrgreen:

sweaman2
    Free Member

No idea on the zone. UTM is a mathematical method of projecting an almost round surface (the earth) on a flat map. I think it matters a lot because the zone defines the almost bit – get the wrong zone and you can be hundreds of meters out. Which makes anybody who positions things (military, industry etc) upset.

Lucas
    Free Member

Makes a spherical world flat! Basically split the globe up into segments (like an orange) and then fit the outside face of that segment to a rectangle. All done by horrible maths.

Much easier to work out distances between points (as it's metric) than Geographical coordinates (in which a distance would be in arc seconds).

Not used too much in the UK since we have the British National Grid, this is a transverse mercator projection so not too different but means we don't have to cross utm zone boundaries as we move across the country.

EDIT the zone number essentially refers to the segment of the globe that you are in (each segment is 6 degrees wide). it does indeed make as massive difference to your coordinates since each zone has it's own origin (0,0 in eastings and Northings) so coordinate positions are only relevant to the zone you are in.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Elaine anne- it does matter because I've just plotted the results for yesterday's geological survey as being in the North Sea following a google when it was actually in West Yorkshire 😳

Jambo- I do rocks.

jam-bo

Jambo- I do rocks.

do you not need to know where they are?

dickydutch

Ive got it wrong at work before when plotting location of offshore developments. Simple mistake that makes you look a compltete tit.

london_lady
    Free Member

I've just plotted the results for yesterday's geological survey as being in the North Sea following a google when it was actually in West Yorkshire

……which according to the film 2012 could quite possible be feasible!

Know the feeling though – have spent the morning converting data from one projection to another – one typo could put it in a completely different part of the world.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Radical cartography and psychogeography are far more interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Geographical types- which UTM zone is Yorkshire in?’ is closed to new replies.