Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Geographical snobbery – what's all that about then?
  • amodicumofgnar

Because living East of the Tees /Exe isn't good for easy access to upland Britain?

Whats that make the North York Moors then?

bol

Kenny – yes, I realised (belatedly).

I can't dispute that there is more challenging riding in other parts of the country – which I wish I had more time to take advantage of.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This thread has gone off at a tangent… OP you asked what geographical snobbery is about….

Answer: Swindon

amodicumofgnar

No, its about reminding mancs they really just live at the top end of the midlands.

epicyclo

Edric 64 – Member
    There are no mountains in Devon, so does that mean that no one in Devon can be a mountain biker?

Yup, but they can be cross country riders. Can't take the mountain out of mountainbike…

And it isn't snobbery, it's fact.

Edric64
    Free Member

We were always told in geography that upland Britain was roughly defined by a line from the Tees to the Exe ,but I take your point

Edric64
    Free Member

Epicyclo that's not my quote I pasted that bit in !

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Whats that make the North York Moors then?

mostly flat ?

amodicumofgnar

Except on the sides

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

there are no mountains in London or Norfolk and that isn't snobbery

It is snobbery because you constantly throw it back in peoples faces, trying to say that you can't possibly be a MTBer if you don't ride mountains all the time

It's a also very tiring brand of bullshit.

uplink
    Free Member

Where's Fred? – people slagging off London & he's nowhere to be seen

Has he been banned again & I missed it?

cotic853
    Free Member

Actually the North Norfolk Ridge is just as steep as Simonfbarnes photo, just not as high – but its easier to get to the summit. Beeston Bump is OK but Muckelburgh hill is a harder climb

simon_g

If you're going to cut yourself off from civilisation because you're such a serious mountain biker who's riding Real Mountains ™ all the time, why would you even base yourself in the UK?

epicyclo

Ah, sorry Edric.

While we do have actual mountains up here, there's plenty difficult riding in the south. Maybe we should rename the sport cross country biking.

trailmonkey

This is a non mountain in Devon.

This is Lustleigh Cleave.

From the top of the non mountain to the river at the bottom is just short of 1000 vertical foot of the most technical riding I've done in England and that includes the Lakes. If anyone feels that they can describe this as not mountain biking because the non mountain does not top out at a certain height, then I suggest that they bring their ignorance to the fair Cleave and let us watch and laugh as it kicks your asses into a corner.

That is all.

jam-bo

It's bloody good riding but it's not that hard….

trailmonkey

yet to ride with anyone that has truly pwnd the cleave. si, dave and neilforrow would probably come closest.

kennyp
    Free Member

If anyone feels that they can describe this as not mountain biking because the non mountain does not top out at a certain height,

Not sure anyone is arguing that. I thought they were debating what is classified as a mountain, not what is classified as mountain biking. Two very different things. I doubt if more than about 2% of mountain biking in the UK is done on official mountains.

trailmonkey

Not sure anyone is arguing that. I thought they were debating what is classified as a mountain, not what is classified as mountain biking

I think they were

epicyclo – Member

Edric 64 – Member
    There are no mountains in Devon, so does that mean that no one in Devon can be a mountain biker?

Yup, but they can be cross country riders. Can't take the mountain out of mountainbike…

And it isn't snobbery, it's fact

djglover
    Free Member

The north is full of small minded bigoted people, some of whom happen to be mountain bikers.

kennyp
    Free Member

Okay, I admit defeat. I was meaning the earlier stuff about the 2,000 feet divide. In that case I think about 99% of us are going to have to stop calling ourselves mountain bikers.

duntmatter
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Bien sûr, Sandwich. Santé

Glad he's not Northern. Wishes he was French.

vinnyeh

I doubt if more than about 2% of mountain biking in the UK is done on official mountains.

And most of that is just skirting round the side of them. Or looking for the lowest pass between two of them. Or gazing at them from a distance.

vinnyeh

Glad he's not Northern. Wishes he was French.

Add to that regrets being Welsh.

epicyclo

When I venture south to mountainbike events on the non-mountains, I get just as knackered.

Give me a long steep rocky climb over slimy tree roots any day 🙂

kimbers

lets not forget london even has forest

you can even ride mountainbikes there its got trees, singletrack, hills(well small ones), mud, etc

and you can take your bike on the tube out to loughton- right in the middle of epping

samuri
    Free Member

But at the end of the day, London is shit. At least that's something we can all agree on.

JulianA
    Free Member

Geographical snobbery is quite simple.

It's rubbish up north, but here in the south it's a bit better apart from Devon, Cornwall, Portsmouth, Southampton and London. Oh, and Swindon.

Hampshire's good, apart from the two dumps mentioned above.

Even the Romans noticed that people in southern Britain were more civilised than notherners because they'd had contact with the people on mainland Europe.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

The north is full of small minded bigoted people, some of whom happen to be mountain bikers.

Which is why the vast majority of posts on this thread are from defensive southerners preempting an influx of hate-fueled Northerners that live in their large, unbigoted minds. Lollers.

Enjoy the Epping cycle paths chaps.

rkk01
    Free Member

I think you've all got carried away by the marketing men…

The "M" in mtb was to make it sound 'ard.

The term ATB "all terrain bike" never quite sold as many bikes. Although I reckon the French still have it right with their term "VTT" – velo tout terrain

Mtb's have very little to do with mountains. Yes the vertical drop is nice, but it's not essential (or even all that appealing as one climb / one descent) Bikes need a trail to follow anyway – so for me, "mountain" bike is a bit of a bullshit term.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Even the Romans noticed that people in southern Britain were more civilised than notherners because they'd had contact with the people on mainland Europe.

Yes, that'll explain York and Chester.

MrNutt
    Free Member

they hung another monkey yesterday in Swindon. 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

Yes, that'll explain York and Chester.

And Hadrians Wall. 😉

Cooroo
    Free Member

I'm southern by birth, living in Yorkshire by choice. I would hate to live somewhere where I couldn't see hills (admittedly in the distance). But that's me.

I ride an off-road bike about once a week. I'm not looking for 'hard' stuff, I think it's the best way to get out in beautiful scenery, cover a lot of ground, and have fun. I also have a (very) full time job and a child.

Probably have more in common with walkers than 20-something hardcore downhill mountain bikers.

It takes all sorts. People live all over the place, for their own reasons. Some of them enjoy riding off-road (or even on mountains given the chance). Why do people (read boys) on this forum get so worked up about it?

Edric64
    Free Member

they hung another monkey yesterday in Swindon.

And they nicked that idea from Hartlepool!!

pypdjl
    Free Member

so for me, "mountain" bike is a bit of a bullshit term.

It's just a name, get over it. All terrain bike would be equally wrong, as you can't ride over all types of terrain. Of course, then you have road bikes that you can also ride off road or up mountains on. Downhill bikes that you can ride uphill. Freeride bikes that you have to pay for. Etc…

epicyclo

JulianA – Member
    …Even the Romans noticed that people in southern Britain were more civilised than notherners because they'd had contact with the people on mainland Europe.

Nah, what they meant was quicker to surrender than the northerners…

🙂

mogrim

But at the end of the day, London is shit. At least that's something we can all agree on.

London's great. But as a True Mountain Biker I'm glad I live in Spain.

Ropeyjob
    Free Member

Yep, London is pants. I'm a Northener by birth, live on the Isle of Wight, (Good chalk singletrack and some very steep bumps), but work (and commute by bike) in London. I can't stick the place, Hyde Park and the Commons are poop for MTBing so I can't wait to get home and shred some chalk. Best of all though is going home to my native Staffs and taking on the moors. 😆

geoffj

ying and yang innit e.g. excellent riding at Lee and Cragg Quarries and in the Calderdale valley, just up the road, but the Rossendale Valley is about as grim as a grim northern town place could be.

Scotland FTW

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Geographical snobbery – what's all that about then?’ is closed to new replies.