• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ski.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Geocaching, anyone doing it,
  • Rochey
    Free Member

Geocaching, anyone doing it, we all love it, found one too, let the hunt begin.

scousebri
    Free Member

My father in law does it quite a lot, and letter boxing on and around Dartmoor. Keeps the walks on te moors interesting i suppose.

chojin
    Free Member

I tried to the other day in the new forest – the 2 caches I had coordinates to, I couldn’t find 🙁
    Plan to do more though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sc-xc

Got to about 100 and suddenly lost interest. It’s great fun with the kids though.

I even planted a few…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Letter boxing?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The view on Friday lunchtime in ‘that London’

Geocaching by gary_foulger, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

I seem to have removed a few geocahes round here – I was objecting to large lunchboxes full of cr*p being left around the countryside, some on really obvious display (4′ up, wedged a tree, just off a path 🙄 ) etc. I discovered that there were 6 on Inchbuie Island outside our house (200m x 20m) so removed all but one etc etc.

tony_m
    Free Member

Me and Her Ladyship are up to about 250 caches found each. Only real drawback is the tendency to turn what should be a three hour bike ride into a six hour one… 😕

LadyGresley
    Free Member

^^^ What he said 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Letter boxing?

Letterboxing is an outdoor hobby that combines elements of orienteering, art, and puzzle solving. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly accessible places (like parks)[1] and distribute clues to finding the box in printed catalogs, on one of several web sites, or by word of mouth. Individual letterboxes usually contain a notebook and a rubber stamp.[2] Finders make an imprint of the letterbox’s stamp, either on their personal notebook or on a postcard, and leave an impression of their personal stamp on the letterbox’s “visitors’ book” or “logbook” — as proof of having found the box and letting other letterboxers know who has visited. Many letterboxers keep careful track of their “find count”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterboxing_(hobby)

Top.Dog
    Free Member

i lost interest at about 300, as the rest of my family has lost interest long before that, and the dragging them around the countryside became tiresome

wrightyson
    Free Member

Love it. Geo bugs are cool too!

grantway
    Free Member

Thats an old one, I remember some people made a game using these where
    you would find a gift and you replaced it with something else in replace of your find.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just looked on http://ww.geocaching.com and seen there are three within 50 feet of me. I feel a wild poo coming on. 😀

Garry_Lager

We’ll get a few if we’re walking with the kids, they love it. Doesn’t greatly appeal as something for a grown-ass man to be doing by himself, but it takes all sorts. Maybe there’s more to it if you pay some mind to the objects you’re leaving and finding.

Jamie
    Free Member

I feel a wild poo coming on.

Geocack…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Jens Voigt is mad for it, follow him on Twitter and he spends half his trips geocaching by the sounds of it.

druidh
    Free Member

It can be a useful way of discovering pleasant little spots that are otherwise off the grid. I used to look them up whenever we went somewhere new as they’d often be located at little waterfalls, viewpoints and interesting buildings.

Rochey
    Free Member

I too do follow Jens, thats where I got the idea from 😀

heihei

As others have said, great motivator for a kids walk. Recently did a 6 mile walk in Scotland that had 15, and not once did the kids complain about being tired. We all got a buzz getting 3 first-to-finds!

ski
    Free Member

Two travel bugs let lose for our two children to follow, one in Italy, the other, well has not gone so far, its in Wales.

We have found some great ones, some hard puzzle ones that still trying to solve and others that have taken us on some interesting history tours.

As mentioned the kids love them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Geocaching, anyone doing it,’ is closed to new replies.