Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Genuinely underrated brands
  • SaxonRider

Any industry. Give reasons.

Among automobiles, I think Peugeot gets a bad rap for being French, when in fact many of their designs are quite attractive and the cars quite enduring. I’ve got two of them.

pedropete

Raleigh. Victim of brand snobbery?

jekkyl

Stella Artois.

Cougar

Cars has to be Skoda, surely.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Tennents Lager.

*Run away after pulling the pin!* 😆

geoffj

Rohan

Andy_K

Nobody still thinks Skoda makes bad cars anymore though do they? Pretty well know its just VW-with-a-bit-lower-trim. Peugeot on the other hand, have only very very recently started making good cars again, RCZ and the new Peugeotsport stuff.

yossarian
    Free Member

Uniqlo denim. Genuinely excellent for 40 quid. Far better than the majority of ‘cool’ brands.

DezB
    Free Member

Cars has to be Skoda

The opposite to underrated ime.

I’d say Hutchinson tyres, mtb ones especially,

Mr_C
    Free Member

bearnecessities

B&Q plants (all types) – they’re really a very good standard and in the main, knock the spots off proper nurseries on price.

Their timber on the other hand, is criminal.

Edit: Veered off ‘brand’ topic. Er, Vauxhall – a view which will get no support here, ever 🙂

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Quechua outdoor kit, especially my new £60 waterproof jacket that seems equally as good as my £200 Rab.

badllama
    Free Member

Trespass outdoor clothing whatever I have had has worn well and done the job.

thenorthwind

Hi-tec outdoor kit.

Good quality, well designed, well made, great value.

I’ve got a down jacket, waterproof trousers, leather hiking trainers and walking socks from them, all excellent.

Edit: the only reason I avoided their stuff (subconsciously perhaps) for years was the stigma attached to turning up to primary school in Hi-tec gear when everyone wanted Addidas or Nike.

+1 for Rohan and Hutchinson tyres

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Giant. Chances are, everyone here has ridden one.

chewkw
    Free Member

Craghoppers

Daihatsu (car & van)

Waderider
    Free Member

Volvo

SaxonRider

I agree with the Volvo nomination, but why do you say so, Waderider?

Ambrose

Craghoppers stretchy trousers are really great, far better than any of my ME, Lowe or NF trousers. And I have recently had a few Trespass and HiTec tops- blummin’ great they are, almost as wunderbar as the Aldidl Bamboo tops I have. These tops continue to be the most comfy of comfy things, just lovely.

chestrockwell

All the cars mentioned so far have reputations that they deserve at this moment in time IMO. None are underrated.

olly2097
    Free Member

Sony xperia phones. Especially the Z line.

Y’all be obsessed with those samsungs and iPhones.

Carry on… Means I get a cheaper contract deal.

SR Suntour Forks, the higher end stuff is good!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Motorola mobile phones. Nearly stock android with only genuinely useful things added. I’ll keep buying them for as long as they stay that way.

jimdubleyou

Sony xperia phones. Especially the Z line.

Had one, it was shite.

Stella Artois.

If forced to drink lager, this would be somewhere near the middle of the queue.

Raleigh.

I still want a Burner.

wrecker
    Free Member

Uniqlo denim. Genuinely excellent for 40 quid. Far better than the majority of ‘cool’ brands.

Agree. Boxer shorts are great too.
    Hanes t shirts can be had for a couple of quid and are as good as anything out there. Their “Fit” fit are great.

slowoldman

I see what you did there Mr C. Eventually! As opposed to that other Brand who’s a bit of an arse really.

bones
    Free Member

Good call with craghoppers. Also Helly lifa stuff is great and can usually be found for cheap. I also like the dhb stuff I’ve had, aside from the shortish back on one top

aP
    Free Member

Some odd choices with brands that clearly have enormous advertising budgets.
    Volvo – underrated? Chinese made Ford clones, driven by aggressive, unthinking people.
    Rohan – interesting and revolutionary under Paul Howcroft, now a clothing company looking for a reason to exist outside of 60 and 70 year olds.
    Skoda – high profit VW offshoot made in low wage country.

How about:
    Casio – just seem to make stuff that works, and decently priced – surely everyone still has a Casio calculator somewhere?
    Agree with uniqlo – a clothing company with a significantly wider reach than expected.
    Ford – a company that has driven change (not all of it good), but which still leads others in certain sectors.
    Super dry – sorry, joking.

slowoldman

Rohan – interesting and revolutionary under Paul Howcroft, now a clothing company looking for a reason to exist outside of 60 and 70 year olds.

Luckily I fall into that demographic.

timber

Magura – I really like their brakes, the best bits of Hope and Shimano, but just don’t seem to have the distribution/support/following here. Well thought out, good feel but impossible to just pick up a set of pads as required.
    Running adequate Shimano brakes now as last MT’s I had were part of a whole bike I sold.

matt_outandabout

Timex watches – a notch up from every other brand I have used in simplicity of fuction, especially their 4-button ‘Iron man’ etc watches.

Vaude just seems to go under the radar in the UK, but seem superbly made, good design and good eco/environmental effort.

SEAT as a car brand – I know I now own one again, and have had before, but both times they have been better built than my VW’s, use the same parts, but cost significantly less, and have a certain flair to them that VW lacks…

headfirst
    Free Member

IKEA – the victim of a lot of brand snobbery amongst the middle classes

Coyote
    Free Member

Agree in Ikea. Had quality stuff of all sorts over the years.

Mobile phones? HTC. Way better build quality than Samsung.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

+1 Magura. Bought a TS8 fork on abit of a whim. It is excellent.

timidwheeler

Gelert. I have a couple of their wicking t-shirts. The were 2 for £12 and have lasted for years.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Saracen, still suffering from thier old BSO / Cataloge image despite making great bikes and having a DH World Champ on one.

SaxonRider

Saracen, still suffering from thier old BSO / Cataloge image despite making great bikes and having a DH World Champ on one.

I quite agree with you here, and yet precisely for the reasons you mention, don’t really want to admit it. I wonder what the chances are they will ever be able to emerge with a fresh image, and get the acknowledgement they deserve.

patagonian
    Free Member

+1 for Vauxhall
    My Vectra is about to clock up 200k but the engine is an Alfa and the gearbox Japanese!
    Bike related – Vitus and Giant

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

I agree, I still remember the years of pleasant riding I had on my fluorescent orange, Alfine equipped bargain, ~£350 new Pylon8 from Rutland’s Ebay store… Until the frame suddenly developed a nasty downtube crack two summers ago!

I’d put Pinnacle as another bike brand that is often scoffed at (due to being in-house brand), after I decided my lower back would maon at me getting an Arkose adventure bike, I came close to buying a Ramin One until I finally settled on the Voodoo Wazoo.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Madison cycle clothing , generally works and fits at least as well as stuff that costs a lot more .

squirrelking
    Free Member

Even back in the day Saracen hardtails were decent enough. Agree on Uniqlo but not sure that they exactly qualify as underrated since anyone who has their stuff tends to shout about it.

Ford – yes.

My nomination – Microsoft Lumia phones. My 640 is nothing but brilliant and was less than £100. Now running Windows 10 and better than ever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Genuinely underrated brands’ is closed to new replies.