• This topic has 31 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Gentleman's op, how long off bike?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Post-snip how long were you off the bike?
    I know I need to see how it goes and 2 weeks was recommended so just trying to get an idea of how long others have waited..

MoreCashThanDash

4 weeks for me. Wound wouldn’t heal and ended up taking 3 weeks, plus an extra week just in case.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I was on the Brompton for short trips the next day

Maybe I was lucky!

Suggsey
    Free Member

About a week and a half but was tiny bit uncomfortable, a couple of weeks as recommended if you dont fancy ball ache 😆

Harry_the_Spider

20 minutes.

Grow a (new) pair.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Waited a week, should have waited longer – sitting was fining but climbing was too painful so it ended up as a walk up and gentle roll down. Week later was still tender but okay.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

You’ll know….

cheshirecat
    Free Member

A week for running (in tight pants), 2 weeks for riding.

No complications or infections for me (thankfully)

thekettle
    Free Member

on the rollers two days later, 5 days till road biking, 2 weeks till off-roading. It’s an easy (pain based) decision once you’re riding!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Think it was about 3 weeks once my chads built up enough pus pressure to eject the knot of the supposedly soluble stitches. Fine after that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Been discussed before. Don’t go back too soon, all those I know who’ve had issues have done something daft like long walk or run too soon. Definiteiy wait 2 weeks, see how it goes.

You might consider freezing a donation. Circumstaces change. Good luck

sheeps

10 days… Although a 50km ride in the Dales as a starter wasn’t ideal… A little sore afterwards!!

mintimperial

Three weeks for me. Could probably have got back on sooner but didn’t fancy the repercussions if something went wrong.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Out of interest how much pain would one be in shortly after the op. Apparently I will going in the next few months…..with my neighbour who has also recently had his second child. The wife says we can hold hands

Harry_the_Spider

It isn’t too bad TBH.

Rachel will be along soon to call you a big softie.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I felt fine so went for a short ride 4 days later, had to give up after 2 miles due to the pain! First proper ride was 2 weeks after the op.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Out of interest how much pain would one be in shortly after the op.

Got straight on the paracetamol and ibuprofen and stayed on it. Probably 2 or 3 out of 10 but still kind of felt sorry for myself. It was a stressful time.

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps. Fairly comfortable after 4days so hopefully OK for a week Friday at 417.
    Op was relatively painless.

beaker

Mate of mine rode his motorbike home after his op….. He was a Para though.

miketually
    Free Member

I thought I was fine and got back to riding to work after a week or so (only a 20 minute ride each way). After 3 weeks, one ball swelled to double it’s usual size. That took a couple of weeks to go, and only really went after I’d had half term off work. (My wife was away for two weeks as well, so time off ‘riding’ may also have helped.)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Pain wasn’t too bad at all, but if you nudge ’em or something you’ll know all about it. Personally I came over all squeamish and felt like throwing up, really not like me at all, I’ve seen the inside of me a couple of times and it’s never bothered me that much, but I didn’t like the procedure at all.

No stitches or anything for me, just had to not move as much as possible for 2 days, bar toilet breaks and getting Into and out of bed I had to sit on my arse in front of the TV, it was boring.

sas78

The REAL question is how long before you are “back on the real saddle”…

I remember the first time. Approaching “final destination” was a heady mix of complete and paralysing fear, excitement and pain. Not quite knowing what to expect!!

Remember there’s a good few “clean outs” required before you are ready to rumble as nature intended.

Oh, as for the bike it’s two weeks and then a very careful first few days back on the bike, a crack on the undercarriage at this point is the most painful thing, ever as I discovered when going through one of the classic Edinburgh cobbled street potholes. Oooooof

mountainman

Two weeks min depending on how handy the surgeon was,mine got anesthetic wrong on no2 as i hold him i could feel it.

Now recovering from Hernia op ,full open job ,wk 5 coming up ,just walking at present doing about 7-9 km every other day n seeing consultant 5/4 so will leave bike till after then .

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Make sure you have healed.

It’s not a paper cut.

MoreCashThanDash

Had hardly any pain at all. Think I had a couple of paracetamol mid afternoon and that was that.

As for the “other” riding, 2 days may have been too soon ….

iainc

Couple of weeks off the bike. In hindsight a wasted effort, having got Prostate Cancer 6 years later 😯

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

My Mrs keeps mithering me to be diddled but I get ballache just reading threads like this.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    Couple of weeks off the bike. In hindsight a wasted effort, having got Prostate Cancer 6 years later

I must have been replying as you did.

I suddenly feel the need to mtfu.

iainc

^^^^^ 😀

No worries, doesn’t stop me riding 3 times a week !

tomaso
    Free Member

One week for proper mtb and on day 10 did Coed y Benin enduro. Double cycles shorts keeps things snug. The scale of pain is high if you whack’em, and I did.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Couple of weeks off the bike. In hindsight a wasted effort, having got Prostate Cancer 6 years later

Not a wasted effort unless you where celebate for 6 years 😉

Respect for making the joke and glad you are healthy !

iainc

Not a wasted effort unless you where celebate for 6 years

fair point !!! 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Gentleman's op, how long off bike?’ is closed to new replies.