Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Genius needed! (gears help required)
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Hi,

im just trying to set my gears up and im having trouble – something which doesnt happen very often!

basically ive got a new chain, a chainset thats less than 200 miles old and a cassette thats done maybe 250 miles. i have set it up so its shifting nicely – its just that when im in the hardest gears the chain seems to slip when i put the power down. the shifting is set up fine, like i say i get all gears nicely.

i just need to know whats causing the chain to slip/skip when im in the hardest gears. do i need a new cassette or is the chain the wrong length or what?!!

its driving me mad, please help!

ta

Ben

uplink
    Free Member

it does sound like a worn cassette

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Almost definately a mismatch between the used and new parts. Stick your old chain back on and keep the new one until your cassette is knackered…..

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

wot PP said

Konastoner
    Free Member

How many miles had the chain done before changing? If it was older than the chainset then the 200 / 250 miles won't matter, the old chain would have accellerated the wear and the tooth profile of the whole chainset.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

the old chain is in a bin in hope – its the 4th time it snapped in two rides. it was reeeaaaaaaaly old.

looks like a new cassette's needed then?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

thread hijack –

pp, what is your website with all the clever fork servicing stuff on it? I' er…. need some advice! *puts down hammer and walks away from semi-dis-assembled rebas*

Konastoner
    Free Member

Some info here will help:-

Chain Wear

Konastoner
    Free Member

Probably new fronts too.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Stick it out for a bit, it will wear in if the cassette is that new.
    I have it happen some times when I hevnt changed the chain until it has significant stretch.
    May take about 100 miles or so, just take it steady in the gears it jumps in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Genius needed! (gears help required)’ is closed to new replies.