Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Genesis Volare — new 953 road steel
  • nathaneddy
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about when this bike is coming out? I asked my local dealer — no dice.
    I thought 2013 bikes were mostly out by now — obviously I don’t understand the mysteries of the industry.
    I’m dying to know what the price on the frame will be. It can’t be as much as the Ti Equilibrium, can it?

ourmaninthenorth

It can’t be as much as the Ti Equilibrium, can it?

My guess is that it can….

pixelmix
    Free Member

I don’t think Genesis follow the usual “model year”. The Bike Chain are Gensis dealers now and might be able to put a call in for you?

nathaneddy
    Free Member

My local shop is a dealer and called madison; they didn’t have or didn’t give an answer.
    But if it’s as much as the Ti it’s out of my league. . .

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Pielmix is correct in that Genesis aren’t strict with everything they do, for example the Fortitude was too late to be a 2012 model, but came long before all the 2013. As far as I am aware, the 953 bike isn’t due to be launched with the 2013 models, it is likely it will come mid way through the year (in a similar way to the Foritude)

Hope this helps
    Matt (from 18Bikes)

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

and regarding price, I wouldn’t be at all suprised if it was more than the equilibrium

Matt

cynic-al
    Free Member

In theory the ti frameset is “worth” £1,470 (the bike being £1K more than the steel version) is 953 gonna be much cheaper?

Genesis dealer here, they’ve not told us anything.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Guess the wait will be a bit longer than I thought. . .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely it can’t be Equilibrium Ti expensive? I’d expect more than cheep Ti but less than mid-level Ti, otherwise who’d buy it over the Ti?

wwaswas

Good that their new road team will be racing on the 953 frames 🙂

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I’m guessing you’ve not seen a Reynolds pricelist then? 953 is hideously expensive and unbelievably difficult to work with. I stand by my comment, I expect a £1500+ price tag but will be pleasently suprised if it’s less

ahwiles
    Free Member

this is bad, very very bad.

i don’t know how to explain to my girlfriend that i need another Genesis bike…

cheers_drive

I’m sure it will be more than titanium. Just look on the Enigma site to give you an idea. It gets very expensive if you want it fully polished.

I have an irrational yearning for a Stainless road bike though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Quite rare. Mercian are POA, Swallow start from 2.2k. I would have though dearer than Ti, it’s rarer and hard to work with.

maccruiskeen

My local shop is a dealer and called madison; they didn’t have or didn’t give an answer.

I suspect a bike made by a mass market value brand from expensive unobtainium exists more to be talked about than to actually be made and sold. 😉

Alb
    Free Member

Hi Guys, we’ve not released any details on it because there’s not much to tell at the mo. The team riders frames (version 1 prototypes essentially – some Di2 specific, some mechanical) arrive in about 2 weeks time and I’m sure there’ll be some photos doing the rounds then. The riders will feedback on the frame and this will then form the basis for anything we’ll then offer aftermarket as part of MY2014. A lot of the tubing development is largely experimental (new for both us and Reynolds) and truth be told, until we’ve got some built and ridden we have no idea how they’ll ride (expect it to be a hell of a lot different to the Equilibrium though). We’re looking at frame-only options in 953, 931 & 853 and some full builds (maybe even down to an afordable 725 version).

Hope this helps for now.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

853! Great news. So the geometry will be different than the equilibrium, I guess?

Alb
    Free Member

As lovely as the 953 will be, it’ll still be one very expensive bike/frame and we know it’ll be low volume. Hence the 853 – representing a sweet spot between performance and cost.

Whether we stick with the race geometry that the team settle on or go with less aggressive numbers for production is yet to be decided. The Volare and Equilibrium will be two very different bikes both visually and in ride feel.

Equilibrium’s not going anywhere and we’ve got some nice new ‘updates’ pencilled in for MY2014.

matthew_h
    Free Member

953 frames are definitely where it’s at for 2013

MrSmith
    Free Member

Funny how you are all eulogising over the frame as if the material will suddenly make it a dream ride.
    It could ride like a dog for all you know.
    Proof that MTB’ers will buy any road bike if it appeals to their sensibilities and has a name they feel comfortable with, you only have to look at the abominations Whyte and Cotic have managed to sell to the willing doe-eyed buyers as proof.

crikey
    Free Member

..and yet the ‘Steel is real’ chaps would have us all believe that repairability is all part of the charm.

I wonder how much repairing one will actually cost?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

..and yet the ‘Steel is real’ chaps would have us all believe that repairability is all part of the charm.

I wonder how much repairing one will actually cost?

What you on about? Steel doesnt break to start with!

Carbon on the otherhand…..

crikey
    Free Member

…is much cheaper to repair than the equivalent 953.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, but thats only relevant if you’re still in once piece to be able to ride it after its failed.

Steel willl either bend or crack, carbon explodes.

crikey
    Free Member

Yeh, but thats only relevant if you’re still in once piece to be able to ride it after its failed

Ah, of course…

..every carbon frame failure results in death, but every steel frame failure results in a gentle drift over to the kerb outside the bike shop.

..sorry, my mistake. 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😆

crikey
    Free Member

😆

Swine!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Someone had to reel out the old “steel is real, carbon is a deathtrap” arguments!

nathaneddy
    Free Member

and so ends an otherwise very informative thread. 😐

TimothyD
    Free Member

Guess it stopped being informative after Alb stopped posting though, with them being the only informative person?

Not wanting to be pedantic though, objective I guess. 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

I hate those yellow smiley faces!

TimothyD
    Free Member

Begone yellow smiley faces…

kelvin

Mercian and others have given up on 953, simply because Reynolds couldn’t deliver.

compositepro
    Free Member

no one mentioned the er stain in stainless …does it come with a tube of polish

nathaneddy
    Free Member

All I can think of is cutlery in relation to stainless steel.

djglover
    Free Member

MrSmith has it right, people will be suckered into this no doubt. They will look great on top of the audi as you pull into the sports centre to register for your sportive (short loop)

If it were my money, it would be a Rourke

chakaping
    Free Member

Page two and still no Gypsy Kings?

Standards are slipping…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNgSeJzLJFc[/video]

Macavity
    Free Member
    compositepro
    Free Member

^^^^^

what he said without the columbus

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Volare — new 953 road steel’ is closed to new replies.