Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • genesis vagabond chainset advice
  • esky123
    Free Member

I have a genesis vagabond previously had an old deore triple chainset

planned on moving it to a road chainset ultegra 50 /34 upon trying to install this today realised bb is 73mm

this then caused an in issue with no enout clearance and the chainset spindle not being long enough

so need advise what will fit? would like a double running 11spd ultegra shifters

will a shimano cx fit? cx50? or will it be the same spacing as the normal chainset and will have to go for a mtb chainset.

if this is the case i have only found a xtr old m985 with a 44tooth big ring any other companys do simular large ring mtb chainsets for cheaper?

simondbarnes

will a shimano cx fit? cx50?

Same length axle as ultegra (and all HT2 road chainsets)

XT Trekking chainset with inner ring removed?

esky123
    Free Member

ahh thats what i feared does anybody like rotor etc do any alternatives?

robster1
    Free Member

I am facing a similar problem atm. I tried to attach a 105 (5700) chainset to the Vagabond. But neither the crankset nor the front derailleur fit the frame.

So I saw the the fully build made Vagabond comes with a Deore crankset and front derailleur.

Can anybody give me advice on:
    1. if the Deore XT crankset 38/26 will fit the frame
    2. If the STI of the 105 will work on a XT front derailleur

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
    robster

1-shed
    Free Member

I’ve got 10speed 105 STI with XT front mech (dual pull) with a sram MTB chainset working together. Cheers 1 shed.

PJay
    Free Member

It seems odd that you’re having issues with fitting road chainsets and accommodating the narrower chainline on a gravel bike particularly when you read the bumpf on the Vagabond frameset page:-

There’s good reason why this type of bike is often only the result of custom builds – compatibility. Namely compatibility woes between road and mtb parts. With this in mind we designed to frameset to be as accommodating as possible within the design confines (road or mtn chainset/FD). We knew some people would take one look at the frame and want to build it up with a more road-focused (albeit larger tyred) build in mind, others, would see knobbly tyres and mud.

Also the same page lists the BB width as 68mm which seems in line with a roadish build. If you’ve both got 73mm shells I wonder if something went wrong at the factory?

Shimano treking triple chainsets (I think that there are Deore and XT 10 speed versions) will have a 48 tooth big ring.

robster1
    Free Member

Thanks both of you. I ordered a XT crankset and XT front derailleur. It’s really good news that my dual pull 105 STI will work with it.

The only unkown thing is if the XT crankset 38/26 and my 68mm hollowtech will fit the frame. Let’s see once it is delivered.

Dickyboy

I fitted an slx triple chainset, flat bars and MTB trigger shifters, problem I had was with front mech tyre clearance on a 2″ MTB tyre, currently waiting for slx m672 side swing front mech to turn up, fingers crossed it’ll work.

Edit – 68mm bb on mine

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have a look in the Vagabond thread, there’s a pic of a CX chainset with fag paper clearances to the chainstay. So yes it fits, but depends on what size chainring you want to run, and how wide a BB you fit (for sq taper).

I’d go MTB, or an older set of CX cranks and square taper BB.

Do you need a 50t? That’s as high as road bike and it’s;
    a) got slower tyres, less aero, weighs more, etc
    b) bigger tyres/wheels = higher gearing, a 46t would be the same as a road bike with a 50t.
    c) road bikes often don’t have an 11t anyway, so you’re already gearing over and above that with an MTB cassette.

I was looking a them and thinking along the lines of a 28-42 double which you can get from shimano’s MTB offerings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘genesis vagabond chainset advice’ is closed to new replies.