Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Genesis Tarn – opinions
  • superstu
    Free Member

Letmetalktomark posted last week but musing on the 29 version.

I’m contemplating the 650b+ and fully rigid version as my go to do it all bike. This is for those rides from the door where I want to go further / more technical off road than the CX, possible future bike packing, winter riding and general riding.

Any owners / previous owners want to tell me they’re good or bad? As far as I can tell well regarded, bit heavy, normal opinions on plus in terms of high grip but poor in mud.

nimo
    Free Member

I can honestly say that it is the best all round MTb I have ridden. I use my tarn 10 for everything. It is fast , easy speed every where.
    Just budget for a decent set of tubeless tyres as the standard Ines are cheap and heavy.
    I have panaracers fat b nimble on mine.
    Do It, you won’t regret it.

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks nimo

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maxray
    Free Member

I’d been considering the tarn 10, seems you can pick up the 2016 one pretty cheap.

momo

I built my 2016 up from an ebay bargain frame, only had a few rides so far, but I’m absolutely loving it! I’m running Specialized Purgatory Grid tyres front and rear, will probably chnage the rear for a Ground Control or similar to reduce the drag a little.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ta3SUv]Tarn at Pines[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T7DHBS]Tarn at Pines[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

confused58

I built mine from a 2016 frame too. It started life as a “simple” rigid 1×10 bike, however once I discovered how fun it is as a trail bike a dropper followed and a set of Yari’s…

I think tyre size/choice/pressure is key, I have settled on 3″ NN’s tubeless as good all rounders if a bit draggy, and yes mud is interesting…I tend to run 2 tyre pressures approx 15psi for bimbling and more Xc rides and 20psi ish for trails.

It sits between my 130mm FS and rigid 29+ and is the keeper as its the most versatile and grin inducing…

Hope this helps!

maxray
    Free Member

What size frame did you go for? I am always torn between Small and Medium being a shorty.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I run a medium, I’m 5’8″.

It’s awesome.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Cracking bike, I love mine good layout and feels nice to ride. I’ve ridden allsorts of stuff on mine but it’s principal use so far has been ‘from the door’ bikepacking trips.

I’ve done metric and imperial tons on it super happy.

Edit: I’m 188cm and a large fits me – not much use but worth adding incase taller forumites fancy one

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks all, appreciated

SaxonRider

I got a 2016 Tarn 10 in January of this year, and there are few words to describe how much I have come to like it.

It is currently running the tyres it came with (I haven’t changed over to tubeless), and while the extreme mud I experienced around Bradford-on-Avon a couple of months ago made for an interesting ride at times, I can’t imagine that I would have done much better with my old 26″er.

Having now ridden it on pretty much all the trails I rode on my two old XC bikes, I can say without a doubt that it is the best bike (for me) that I have ever ridden.

burko73

I was torn between a tarn and a longitude. I went Longitude in the end, got a deal on a complete 2017 bike.

I was after a simple rigid do it all mtb that I could load up and bikepack with. Wanted the 27.5+ and 29 options that the longitude/ tarn give.

I’m really please with mine but haven’t ridden a tarn. I’ve gone tubeless with the wtb tyres that came with it and its great.

I guess the geometry is more modern on the tarn? I wanted the fork mount bottle holders on the longitude and the extra bosses etc on the frame for max adaptability.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

hi burko, is the longitude much of a bone shaker looking at getting one but unsure how my ankles (got a few pins and screws) will cope ,just want it to start a bit of bike packing and canal path commutes,cheers stuart

toppers3933
    Free Member

I have a tarn that I’ve been trying to sell because I really am not getting on with it. Had no interest so have decided to make some changes to see if I can make it better. What length stems are you guys running? I have flat bars with 55mm stem and the reach is huge. I’m considering a 35mm stem and an inline post.

momo

50mm with 800mm bars on a large, I’m 6’1″ with fairly average arms/legs.

The bars/stem were ones I had already, it did feel huge first time I jumped on it, felt like trying to turn a supertanker! But a couple of miles in it just clicked and I now keep looking at new longer FS frames to make that match up!

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m the same height but it just feels massive. I’ve done 15miles today and still don’t like it. 🙁

momo

I am running an inline post (Reverb) certainly wouldn’t want a layback post on that bike, so that could be a fairly simple change

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m considering a dropper. Loathed to throw much money at I. In case I still dislike it. Lol.

confused58

I’m 5’10” with long arms and have a large with 50mm stem and reverb. I have pushed the saddle forward and changed from 15mm rise 800mm wide bars to 30mm/780’s and its now the best fit of all my bikes both seated and standing.

Pushing the saddle forward and changing bar angle seems like the 1st thing, followed by a cheap in line post?

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

What length stems are you guys running? I have flat bars with 55mm stem and the reach is huge.

Don’t ask me I flipped the stem, slammed it and put a Jones bar on there 🙄

toppers3933
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’m going to make some changes and see how I get on.

maxray
    Free Member

Managed to find one to sit on today… felt like just what I have been looking for. The effective reach on my Maxlight is waay to short and the stretched out feel of the Tarn felt much nicer…. hovers over buy button..

jackthedog
    Free Member

Me
    I run a medium, I’m 5’8″.

It’s awesome.

To expand on this:

I have the 20, so I’ve got a bit of squash on the front.

I run as short a stem as possible without shelling out $$$ for P Dent. Well, that was my brief to the bike shop. It’s very short. I bought it at the same time as the bike.

Still running whatever non remote dropper post it came with, so it’s probably a layback. Can’t remind myself at the minute as I’m in the office.

I’m not that sensitive to bike set up. I tend to get comfortable on most things after a short while. But I will say this about the Tarn.

It does initially feel cumbersome. However, once you get the hang of manhandling it around it feels really planted and you can push it quite hard before it starts coming unstuck.

Commitment is key, I think. If you know what you’re going to do with a particular bit of terrain and then just do it, it serves you well. If you’re a bit on the nervous or indecisive side, it can work against you a bit.

I use mine for all sorts, from manicured rollercoaster nonsense to proper natural trails, fast and flowing, slow and technical. It does it all. But on those occasions where I hit a bit of unfamiliar trail and I’m not committed enough, I tend to find it’s not very forgiving to late changes of plan. It’s too long, you’re too far forward and the wheels are too heavy for it to be nimble enough for that.

If you decide what you’re going to do, then do it, the Tarn will cope.

burko73

middleagedmadness

the longitude is rigid and great on flow smoothish tracks and trails, I think the cromo forks help a bit taking the buzz out of some rougher stuff. I’ve been experimenting with tyre pressure as it can get a bit rough on rocky descents.

I keep reminding myself I used to ride all day flat out on a rigid orange clockwork 25 yrs ago. I’m not going so quickly now so on a recent trip to northumberland I had to slow down and find a smoother line through some rocky descents. I quite enjoyed it and the simplicity of it is great.

I went a bit low with the tyre pressures tonight and although nice and squishy over loose and sandy/ gravely stuff I nearly got chucked off at one stage due to too much tyre squish.

people say its long in the top tube but I’m on a medium at 5″8″ and I feel like I could stretch out a bit. I did take 4cm off the std bars though.

superstu
    Free Member

Looking at the reach it is very long but comparable with my Bird Aeris.

Think they look great and very versatile. Still sorely tempted.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

@burko 73 cheers mate , think I had already made my mind up about getting one , just needed a opinion on bone rattle , don’t intend on using it on too many rocky trails , not too fussed about trailbuzz through the forks and hoping the extra squish in the tyres takes a bit out from the pedals

toppers3933
    Free Member

Think I’ve decided I’m defo selling mine. Done about 60miles of mixed stuff this week and still don’t get on with it. Large frame and rigid fork going into the classifieds later today.

wergsy

Got myself a Tarn 10, bit of noob question but what front forks with suspension could I put on, due to the size/width of the tyres?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Tarn – opinions’ is closed to new replies.