Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Genesis Tarn
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about this bike?

How long has it been out? Anyone own/ridden one?

Nice looking steel frame, good spec – 55mm stem, wide bars, scraper rims etc

Thoughts?

nimo
    Free Member

I like the look of these, my local shop has them in and they look great.
    An aluminium fork seems a strange choice though on a steel frame that looks built to be ridden hard.

rOcKeTdOg

Bache brothers in lye/stourbridge have one in their window looks a lot of fun

bonesetter
    Free Member

Agreed on the Alu fork/steel frame combo. Why not just go steel (or indeed alu) for both, but alu fork on steel frame seems odd?

scotroutes

LBS has them in. They look good and have a decent spec for the price. It would definitely be on my short-list if I was looking for a B+ bike.

simondbarnes

Why not just go steel

They’d weigh a tonne

bonesetter
    Free Member

It can’t stack up better than say a Stooge for the money though? No?

Plus, that seat tube looks steep to me

bikeytom
    Free Member

They addressed the aluminium fork thing in a post about the 2016 Latitude (which also has an aluminium fork this year):

The new fork is aluminium, and for a few good reasons… A longer fork obviously needs to be stronger to help resist the increased leverage and forces. Stonger usually equals heavier (either increased fork blade diameter, wall thickness, or both) and with the newly introduced ISO test standard giving forks a particularly hard time of it at the moment, it was looking like they’d need to be even heavier than previously imagined to pass with steel. With aluminium we’ve been able to get the longer fork, add a tapered steerer, pass ISO and still drop weight vs. the original steel fork. But an aluminium fork rides harsh, right? Yes, but with the voluminous 2.8” Trailblazer upfront and the associated lower air pressures, there’s plenty of pneumatic cush to take the sting out of the trail. That’s the simple logic behind our choice for going with an aluminium fork – an ISO passable steel fork at these lengths would’ve been too heavy and detrimental to the way the bike rode – loosing that natural steel spring with stiff and heavy fork blades. As ever, it’s adnorned with triple bosses on each leg and raised front rack eyelets which are designed to clear the 27.5+ tyres.

Full article here:
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/07/07/15/2016-longitude

Ive not ridden it myself, but i do have scraper rims and trailblazer tyres on my Stooge and can confirm that they take the sting out of a lot of the trail if you get the pressure right.

bikeytom
    Free Member

It can’t stack up better than say a Stooge for the money though? No?

+1 bonesetter, i looked at the tarn and ended up with a Stooge, have not regretted it!

rossburton
    Free Member

Nice looking rigid, but what’s that metal thing above the chainring?

bonesetter
    Free Member

A mate’s after a rigid B+ and doesn’t want a Stooge because I have one

Proving hard to find something

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice looking rigid, but what’s that metal thing above the chainring?

Those are so last decade 😉

Can always ditch that

simondbarnes

If I had room for another bike (and some money) I’d definitely have one. Think they look ace 🙂

scotroutes

I’d not rule out a frame that could accommodate front suspension as an option. I’m certainly enjoying the Rebas on my Pact.

bonesetter
    Free Member

They’d weigh a tonne

The Stooge doesn’t weigh a ton

superstu
    Free Member

Tarn can take suspension as well…nice to have the option if you want later on.

I like the look of this a lot, very long…price is a little on the high side but not ridiculous

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Tarn 20 looks very right to me.

Needs a stealth dropper, but otherwise, very nice.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m liking those lines

epo-aholic
    Free Member

I’ve had one since Jan, really like it but too many bikes and an impending house move/travelling are forcing my hand so it’s up for sale here…….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2016-genesis-tarn-275-medium

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Tarn’ is closed to new replies.