Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Genesis Mantle series? Giant 29ers?
  • hotgospeller
    Free Member

I’ve finally got the clearance to purchase a 29er from my financial adviser and have a budget up to ‘just over’ a grand.

Will be riding lots of fast miles on farm/woodland terrain and forrays to Dark peak…so looking for something to go fast on with crazy rock-section capability NOT an Enduro-u-like monster.

Have ridden an Anthem, which proved more capable than my 130mm travel 26er full-sus…but not sure if a niner hardatail would be a better bet for ‘all round’ riding.

Seen a good deal on a carbon Giant XTC 29er…but also now tempted by the Genesis Mantle bikes…and the idea of buying British (or as British as you can get without visiting Halifax).

But are they any good?

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you’re asking if the Mantle is any good, the answer is yes, very.

(if it helps, i found a 20″ a good fit for me at a long-legged 6’1″)

the answer is the same if you’re asking bout the Mantle, AND the Giant.

if you’re asking a 29er hardtail would be a good idea for your kind of riding, i don’t know.

you may or may no enjoy the lack of rear suspension – this is really up to you…

hotgospeller
    Free Member

Cheers friend,

I’m a hardtail only wanabee – but don’t want a pulverized derriere 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

stand up for the bumpy bits?

Earl
    Free Member

Been looking at the same thing – the bit I don’t understand is how they can be similar given the head angle on the anthem is 71.5 and 68.9 on the mantle???

weeksy

XTC29 is ace… although i did put 1″ risers on mine. I can’t do the full on XC Geo.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Earl – Member

Been looking at the same thing – the bit I don’t understand is how they can be similar given the head angle on the anthem is 71.5 and 68.9 on the mantle???

1) there is more to life than head angles.

2) it can depend how they’re measured: sagged/extended

3) don’t believe everything you see on a geometry chart

Earl
    Free Member

Earl – Member

1) there is more to life than head angles.

2) it can depend how they’re measured: sagged/extended

3) don’t believe everything you see on a geometry chart

1) probably very true though I am unqualified to actually say. However it is a main ‘selling point’ when manufacturers talk about how their bikes have the ‘ultimate’ geometry.

2) The on-ones and cotics etc of this world do say if their HA are sagged or static (as do Genisis) however the a lot of the bigger don’t mention it at all so I find it hard to tell to compare apples with apples.

3) – ha! probably

Fact is many of us an now buying a bike/frame unridden so weather right or wrongly – its one of the ways we decide if its suitable for us. Colour is the other 🙂

bellefied
    Free Member

whyte and orange are two others to consider

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Mantle series? Giant 29ers?’ is closed to new replies.