Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 327 total)
  • Genesis Longitude thoughts
  • beargotsoul

Picked up the last 20.5 frame that Genesis had in stock yesterday, waiting for some wheels to arrive hopefully today so I can start building it up tomorrow.

holdsteady

Am I correct in thinking that the Longitude frame is virtually incompatible with suspension forks ? Is there a workaround ?
    Really like the bike but would probably like the ability to switch to suspension forks for some rides. Would I be better opting for a High Latitude frame instead and sticking a rigid fork on it?

mccett
    Free Member

Hold steady …aye, the measurement of the fork is 445mm. A suspension fork would jack the front end up loads. Also note the straight down tube, unlike most 29er with the kink in it to give clearance for the front wheel. I guess the Latitude would be better if you can find a rigid fork to take up the measurement of the equivalent suspension fork on that frame.

beargotsoul

Anyone know if it’s ok to run a 180 rotor on the front? Can’t seem to find anything that says what the max size is.

frood
    Free Member

Haven’t seen anything saying you can’t… I run a 180 on mine, fits just fine

beargotsoul

Thanks frood, saves me searching for the 160 disc and adapter I’ve hidden somewhere.

fionap

Waiting for a new 19″ to arrive on Monday! Found it at ukbikesdepot.com, nobody else seems to have any left in stock. Unfortunately it isn’t technically mine and it’s a bit big but I’ll be quietly borrowing it when he’s not looking.

Any tips for initial set-up?

slparsons
    Free Member

Anywhere got any stock of 20.5″ frames?

tootallpaul

Frood – running 180 front and rear on mine…

Still loving the Longitude- not touched my Solaris since it arrived.

Took it to the Surrey Hills at the weekend, and the more I ride it, the more capable I realise it is.

Now got a Surly OD crank, so a full range of gears available as well. It will climb anything. Even if I cant.

addy6402

I had my first ride out on my 20.5″ bike on Sunday. I was impressed, plenty of fun for an ‘adventure’ bike, it popped off roots and rocks easily and ate up swoopy singletrack. I even rode down some tricky (to me) wooden steps that I’ve previously faltered on.

A great deal from Cycle Gear with £15% / £150 of free kit thrown in.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Hello to all,

I currently have a 700c Surly LHT which I love, except that it wont handle tires bigger than 47 or 48mm wide.
    The Longitude seems to be a great frameset for what I need, a commuter, tourer and ocasional mountain bike.

A couple of questions:
    – how is the frame when loaded with racks and panniers? I commute with a reasonable load, so that’s really important for me;
    – how about mounting mudguards? Up front seems to be ok, but in the back I fail to see chainstay bridges.

Thanks in advance

cosmicpop
    Free Member

I’ve got a Longitude for pretty much the same reasons as you.

I have a Tortec Epic Alloy rear rack mounted on the lower set of lugs to keep it nice and low. The most I’ve put on there is around 13Kg, which is nearly the weight of the bike itself. While it was really tough to carry up some steps, when riding I didn’t notice the weight.

My bike shop put some mudguards on it a few months back. I’ve taken them back off now (thanks to the fact I’ve been on dry trails more than expected).
    When the guards were mounted, the rack was mounted on the higher rear mounting points and the guards on the lower. From memory, the guards needed quite a long bolt for the attachment point near the BB, while the other mounting point was on the rack! The shop mounted the mudguards using a bracket they made to the rear light fixing point on the rack.
    I also found that when the chain was on the smallest chainring, the front derailleur touched the rear mudguard so it’s all a bit tight.

Anyway – I totally love the bike. I’m thinking of getting a slightly shorter stem as I’m 5ft11 and have the 19inch frame which I think is very slightly too long. I’m also thinking of putting some Big Apples on it as it’s mostly used for road/dry track.

nemesis
    Free Member

So, is anyone using one of these with both fat and non-fat tyres – eg two wheelsets (or just swapping tyres I suppose). I fancy being able to switch between being able to cover ground fast and being able to play.

Oh and can you still get 20.5 frames? Sounds from some of the earlier posts like maybe they’re not available.

frood
    Free Member

cosmicpop, I’m 5’11” on the 19 as well. I run a 720mm flat bar with a 35mm on-one stem and love it, very capable and confident bike like that. When I test rode the full build it was with the standard spec bar/stem combo, which worked, but not nearly as well for my preferences. Playing with your bar/stem setup is definitely worth a try!

slparsons
    Free Member

I was told a month ago the 20.5″ Longitude frames had sold out and it would be a case of waiting for 2016 models to filter through.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Fitting SKS Bluemels was quite easy

Front is just as normal, rear has a couple of bodges required.
    For the rear
    The bottom fitting by the bottom bracket I used a P clip.
    Then using an off cut from the metal poles I used this as the top bridge.

addy6402

I put some 2.35 Big Apples on at the weekend – first commute this morning and was quite impressed by the speed and comfort. I’ll be getting some Chronicles for off road use at some point.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Appologies if this has been asked… is this bike fun to ride – as well as being able to bikepack, commute, etc etc.. if you stick some big 29+ tires on it (or not) is it fun to blast about the woods for an hour or two?

tootallpaul

Flow – absolutely. Best fun I bike I hhave ever owned.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Thanks Paul.. I think that settles it!

danj

Tried and failed to link to a pic of blasting around the woods at Nutcracker round 2 on Dalby’s World Cup course on a Longitude. Failed, so you’ll have to imagine it. But it was fine. Handled well.

julioflo
    Free Member

Random – and unlikely to get a response – but did one of you Longitude owners ride through Buckfastleigh in Devon yesterday – Sun 24th May?

Looked like the grey and blue frameset only colourway. Would be interested to have a spin if you can be located and are local.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Wish it was me in Devon!

@flowmtbguy: it’s soo much fun that I’ve ditched my High Latitude SS and I’m exclusively using this beast whilst waiting for some chunky rubber…

hummerlicious
    Free Member

DSC03787 by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

As you can see it’s no fun for riding about on at all flowmtbguy 😉

mariner
    Free Member

julioflo

Big Peaks at Ashburton had putty frame they built up.
    Haven’t been by for a few weeks so not sure if still there.

tootallpaul

kazafaza – what seatpack is that?

kazafaza
    Free Member

@tootallpaul: that’s the Medium one.

If you decide to choose the Large one make sure you don’t overload it. I’ve heard from three different folks that it might clip off(especially when the bracket is in the middle position). I’m yet to loose mine 😉

frood
    Free Member

It’s a hard life

kazafaza
    Free Member

I’ve finally plussed my Longitude! Knard on the back, Dirt Wizard up front(they do exist!) and I’m happily rolling with a bit more bounce.

Lots of clearance(Dirt Wizard on 35mm rim @ 20psi):

tootallpaul

The Dirt Wizard is a serious looking bit of rubber…

sumac
    Free Member

Are framesets still available anywhere? (being 6’2″ I think I’m looking at 19″ frame..)

kazafaza
    Free Member

Bikes/frames are all sold out with Sportline, the distributor, don’t know which shop has any stock left…

I’m 6’2.5″ with short legs/long torso and went for the 20.5″ with 60mm stem/740mm lo-rise bars/offset seat post. If you’re anywhere near West Mids you’re more than welcome to take my rig for a spin.

sumac
    Free Member

kazafaza: thanks for the offer! being few thousand km away I’ll have to rely on the reviews here.. 😉
    off to check some online shops whether any frameset can still be found..

BTW any news on the 2016 model? ETA? any changes in geo, etc?

sumac
    Free Member

So good news is new model will be available soon (like this or next week) and will be basically the same, according to a guy I spoke with at unitycycleworks.
    Whats left is to sort out the sizing issue.. Looking at genesis website 19″ seems like the ideal size (I’m 6’2″ or 187cm) however few pages back in this thread someone posted measurement of the top tube which is significantly shorter than on genesis website.. Can anyone confirm the top tube length? What do you 6’2″ guys (and gals) ride?

tootallpaul

So is the new one capable of running 29+?

STATO
    Free Member

The new one is 29/27.5+ wheels only. 29+ has been dropped.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Sportline are releasing details of their new bikes today (Genesis, Saracen, Ridgeback etc.) so i’d expect some confirmation soon

Paceman
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if they drop 29+ after selling their entire UK stock so quickly this year. Time will tell though as the 27″ steamer continues to roll onwards.

STATO
    Free Member

Paceman – Member
    I’d be surprised if they drop 29+ after selling their entire UK stock so quickly this year. Time will tell though as the 27″ steamer continues to roll onwards.
    POSTED 26 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Confirmed on facebook. Apparently they couldn’t make it handle well with the big tyres due to the difference in diameter between 29 they sold it with and 29+. Smacks a bit of making up an excuse to cover a marketing decision to follow the 27+ trend.

Paceman
    Free Member

Are they doing any 29ers or is this another company going completely 27″?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude thoughts’ is closed to new replies.