Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 327 total)
  • Genesis Longitude thoughts
  • swavis

Any excuse, here’s mine just after being built on Saturday 😀

[url=https://flic.kr/p/quy6Jt]Genesis Longitude[/url] by GavinBelton, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pQcw5t]Genesis Longitude[/url] by GavinBelton, on Flickr

Absolutely love it

Alb
    Free Member

Just been told Chipps’ writeup is in the next issue! 😀

stretchtoo
    Free Member

Lovely looking bikes. FWIW I think the grey is way better than the green and am quite envious.

Dickyboy

I think the grey is way better than the green

I was thinking the complete opposite, but the green isn’t available in frame only option – also I pressed the buy button on the Grapil frames going cheap 😳 so will have to wait before I can scratch this particular itch.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Was looking at light bicycles carbon wheels for this frame any thoughts or an alternative

tootallpaul

Finished!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qN8Zib]P1050474[/url] by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

Shakedown ride tomorrow…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pTDQtH]P1050472[/url] by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

All the pics are here…

P1050445

fudge9202
    Free Member

tootallpaul what wheels are you running?

letmetalktomark

@TTPaul …. Maybe just my eyes but there doesn’t look to be much clearance on the fork with the Chronicle fitted 😕

Any chance of either another pic or a couple of measurement?

What’s it like out back?

tootallpaul

Clearance on the fork isn’t as bad as looks at all.

Will try and sort out some better pics of that at some point.

Back is fine to the chainstays and seatstays, though very tight to the chain when in the lowest gear- riding will tell if that is an issue.

Rain and general lethargy put paid to a ride today, so the riding report will have to wait…

tootallpaul

fudge9202 – They are Northpaw 47mm Rims, with Hope Pro2 hubs. Surly Rim Tape and Tubes, Maxxis Chronicle tyres.

Amazed me how light the wheels were, and how light the bike was as a whole.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Tootallpaul cheers had looked at lightbicycles carbon wheels but over $600 plus shipping and customs so a bit expensive to be honest

tootallpaul

The Northpaws aren’t far off that to be honest. I picked up those second hand, but the rims alone are £220.

There is no cheap route to 29+ at the moment.

soulwood
    Free Member

Been waiting for an opportunity to post up a pic, it’s a 20.5″ about two weeks of riding now, seems really good for what I wanted it for, commuting and winter riding such as this. Deliberately went for a bigger frame for more reach and consideration for frame bags…

letmetalktomark

@Soulwood – How tall are you?

I’m currently riding a 20.5” Fortitude as below but think the 20.5” may be too bid in Longitude from a stand over perspective.

Hmm.

Paceman
    Free Member

Nice photos chaps 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – Member

I’m currently riding a 20.5” Fortitude as below but think the 20.5” may be too bid in Longitude from a stand over perspective.

Hmm.

big frame, short stem.

so Enduro.

soulwood
    Free Member

Mark, I’m 6’3″ and if I was going to ride the Longitude on more “Gnarcore” trails I would have gotten a 19″, but I have a Solaris in large with 120mm forks for that. The length of the toptube would certainly allow that. As for standover on the 20.5″ its fine, I wanted a higher front end and longer toptube for some distance riding and winter muddy bridleway riding.

tootallpaul

6’4″ also, and went for a 19″. Fit appears to be great.

letmetalktomark

@ Soulwood & @ TTPaul – This has really thrown me re fit 😆

I’m 6’2” and a bit and tend to go with TT length over ST length meaning that I usually end up compromised in the TT clearance area.

I must measure what my Fortitude is stand over compared with the 20.5” as the super long TT is most appealing!

tootallpaul

Me too on TT length as deciding factor.

The TT on the Longitude is super long, and works perfect for me- Standover is good too- even with the giant wheels.

🙂

soulwood
    Free Member

Yeah long TT, even in 19″ it’s longer than the large Solaris, in 20.5″ it’s a full inch longer. I can run a 60 mm stem and 780 bars and not feel cramped. Enduro indeed.

kazafaza
    Free Member

I’m 6’2 with short legs/long upper body and monkey arms. I’ve a 20,5″ Fortitude and whilst the 20,5″ Longitude is longer it rides like a dream with 60mm stem(against 90mm on Fortitude).

Oh, and don’t believe in geometry charts on genesis’s website – sadly they’re out by quite a bit…

letmetalktomark

Oh, and don’t believe in geometry charts on genesis’s website – sadly they’re out by quite a bit…

In what way(s)?

kazafaza
    Free Member

Top tube on my 20,5″ is ~645mm, definitely not 663mm as stated on their website, also if you look on page 3 of this thread you’ll find shuhockey‘s post where he shows the measurements of his 19″ frame, again, quite different to what Genesis has on their page.

Paceman
    Free Member

Ooops that’s not good form from Genesis, particularly in the age of online distance shopping.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Any chance its a discrepancy between effective top tube as per the website and actual top tube as per measurement?

kazafaza
    Free Member

JonBurns: surely you’ve noticed that shuhockey measured both ETT and ATT and it’s still nowhere near what’s stated on the Genesis’ website. I’ve measured the horizontal distance from the middle of steerer tube to the middle of the seat post and it’s pretty close to 645mm.

ahwiles
    Free Member

My guess would be that the curved seat-tube makes the effective TT very tricky to measure.

If we start at pointA, the centre-top of the head-tube, then pointB will probably be a virtual point somewhere behind the seat-post, not a point ON the seat-post.

But, just a guess.

(PointB would lie on an intersection between a horizontal line from pointA, and a line extending upwards from the BB at the effective seat-angle – whatever that may be, it’ll probably involve more witchcraft)

cupra
    Free Member

Well I usually ride a 17.5″ or thereabout mtb, so I ordered that size. It arrived yesterday and so far in to the early stages of the build it looks like the ideal choice. Time will tell…..

thomthumb
    Free Member

my genesis equilibrium is also out from stated measurement.

I think that they have given ETT for a traditional frame, but the frame is compact.

If you look at the geo diagram this is backed up; seems like a really odd way to do it though?!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Go back in time 3000 years, and roadie frames had a horizontal top tube, this made it easy to measure, and everyone knew how to compare frames.

Then compact geometry was invented, and the ‘effective’ top tube concept came with it, to stop people getting confused*. And to allow people to carry on comparing frames, which, if this thread is anything to go by, is as popular today as it’s always been.

(*Which has clearly worked brilliantly)

(Reality has been simplified a bit to allow compression into a forum post)

JonBurns
    Free Member

Kaz, yeah I did but you didn’t mention it in you post I responded to. Soz.

stretchtoo
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ and riding a 20.5″ with a really short (& high) stem. Perfectly happy, but I’d agree with soulwood, if I really wanted to fling it about I might want a smaller one. Standover is good on the 20.5″ – seat drops down nicely. Has anyone considered a dropper seatpost, or is that against the spirit of simplicity?

tootallpaul – the bike looks fantastic with the Northpaws, how are the Chronicles in action?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Anyone got the real life ETT of the 17.5 frame?

cupra
    Free Member

If I remember I’ll measure that tonight on mine as I need to measure up for a small frame bag anyway.

cupra
    Free Member

Rough guide measurements – centre to centre along the top tube 570mm, horizontal centre of head tube to centre of seat post 595mm, all approx garage measurements on a 17.5″ frame set.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Capra cheers very much.I’m deliberating over 17.5 and a 19, I currently ride a large bandit, I’m 5’10” but like a little more cockpit room with a shorter stem, plan to run a 70mm stem.

Alb
    Free Member

Hi Guys, just been going through drawings to check measurements. Most of the measurements are accurate as per drawings (shuhockey’s measuremnts on pg.3 esp) bar the ETT (this is obviously the hardest to real world measure) – horizontal centre of HT to centre of SP. Here are the actual toptube lengths for reference:

– 16″ = 555mm
    – 17.5″ = 578mm
    – 19″ = 604mm
    – 20.5″ = 630mm

I will say that reach is a far more accurate way of sizing a bike, factoring-in all the variables.

Hope this helps.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Many thanks Alb! We need to make sure it’s updated on Genesis web now!

MichaelW
    Free Member

Anyone running Jones Loop and or Rolhoff on the Longitude yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 327 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude thoughts’ is closed to new replies.