Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Genesis Longitude first ride
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I found one! Swinnerton cycles had a 19″ display model left – arrived with me yesterday 🙂

Took it for a spin last night and remembered why suspension is a good thing.. but also had a lot more fun on some tamer trails that my Segment simply squashes… the trickier trails did have me reverting to two finger braking though.. partly due to the fact the levers are so far away from the bars – will need to adjust that, and partly because of new pads.

But I do think I might appreciate a larger rotor on the front – am sure I have one somewhere to try out.

Second point – those bars.. I can see how they might be comfortable if you’re on 4×4 roads, but riding singletrack with elbows out puts my hands in a much more ‘normal’ position. I have another bar to try out..

Thirdly, the length of it – it’s massive! This is a good thing, but think I’ll be swapping the stem out along with the bar.

The seatpost does creep down unless you have the QR set up in a not so QR way. Anyone fixed this with a better QR? Sadly this has caused a vertical score mark on the post already.

I’ve got some 29×3 Chronicle tyres ready to go on it for next time as well. Sadly that won’t be for a week or so as I’m away 🙁

Summary: big thumbs up for fun on something that cost about the same as the wheelset on my Segment 🙂

tetchypete
    Free Member

The seatpost on my Latitude slides down as well if not clamped up super tight. Maybe Genesis own brand posts are a bit undersized. I’m hoping the 2nd hand carbon post I’m getting along with some carbon assembly paste might solve the problem.

belugabob
    Free Member

I used to have the slipping seatpost problem on my Genesis Altitude, until I started using a Salsa Seat Clamp
    Can’t remember how much I paid for it, but I don’t think it was that much – doesn’t matter though, as I no long suffer from slippage.

peachos
    Free Member

Love mine. No issues with the seatpost. Have changed the following from the stock build:

1×10 (avec 42 extender) so that I can go chubby (and be trendy)
    krampus tyres
    deore brakes
    45mm stem and normal bars (though have kept the old setup for bikepacking)

Found that it is a perfect compliment to my other bikes (2012 Mega and Supreme DH V3) in that I have something suitable for all types of riding with minimal crossover. The Longitude does local loops and big days out in the Dales (e.g.) perfectly. It’s obviously slower on more technical terrain than the Mega and it really bloody hurts when it gets rough – but that’s all part of the fun, isn’t it?! Haven’t found anything so far that I just couldn’t get down.

Normal bars and a short stem made a massive difference to me, just felt more ‘right’. But I suppose they were specced with the swoopy bars for an entirely different reason than how I use my bike the majority of the time.

Have you got Spyke brakes? I found them ok, but decided to sell based on the fact that I could sell them 2nd hand for more than a new set of Deores are worth. Preferred to have the performance of hydraulics over the (apparent) reliability of cables. (p.s. stock tektro pads (the red ones) lasted all of 2 rides for me).

Still not been out on an overnight adventure yet, but I will be doing so asap.

frood
    Free Member

I’m with you on the bars, I’ve put mine better use on the tandem which only sees gravel tracks and roads, built my longitude from the frameset, with 720mm bars, 35mm stem on the 19″ frame and velocity dually rims with chronicles on. It’s got deore stoppers with a 180mm front rotor. It’s such a hoot! If I need something with more power stopping on the front, I’ll be well out of my comfort zone first! It’s surprisingly quick uphill as well! Welcome to the fun 🙂

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

nice one.. will hopefully get the chance for an overnighter in the coming weeks. I’m hoping the chronicle on the stock 35mm rims will allow for at least a few granny gears – we’ll see!

peachos
    Free Member

have you still got the deore triple?? if so, it’ll work, but the chain will buzz!

tootallpaul

Flowmtb- I set mine up with a double and it buzzed the tyre in 1,2 and 3. Rest were fine.

I swapped it out with a Surly OD. All gears working.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

1 2 and 3 eh.. so 30/36 will be the lowest gear – assuming I can get the lowest 3 cogs from the middle ring..

burko73

This thread needs some pics…..

tootallpaul

Here you go then…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r6SizK]P1050627[/url] by Paul Stanley, on Flickr

frood
    Free Member

fin25
    Free Member

As an aside, don’t bother trying to de-sticker the stock rims, they are really difficult to get off…

tootallpaul

Frood, where is that?

Fin – your dog looks sad. 😥

fin25
    Free Member

she was only sad because she knows that the bike coming out means I’m going out, she does that face to try to convince me to take her out with me…

peachos
    Free Member

tetchypete
    Free Member

I destickered the Alexrims rims on my Latitude with the aid of a hairdryer. Get the stickers nice and warm and slowly peel them off. Much better looking without.

frood
    Free Member

TootallPaul it’s in the Lomond hills

tootallpaul

Cheeers Frood. Will have to try and find it next time I’m up in Glasgow.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

There we go.. got some more normal bars, and 3″ rubber on there. It’s pretty fun 🙂

Need to get them tubeless next – found the valve hole on the inside of the rim was schrader sized, so my valves leaked air into the void and out the spoke holes 🙁 Need to get something to bung up the gaps.

frood
    Free Member

Tootallpaul… That’s the Lomond hills in Fife, it’s about half way between the east and west lomond

chuck78
    Free Member

flowmtbguy…..
    Are you still running a triple chainset and if so does the tire rub on the front mech or have you had to do any modifications? How are you finding the maxxis tires? Would you recommend them? Cheers

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude first ride’ is closed to new replies.