Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Genesis IOD Alfine Sizing
  • wombat

I have the opportunity to buy a 19″ Genesis IOD Alfine but it would mean a fairly long trip to get it (about 2 1/2 hours each way) unless I can make a work meeting appear nearbly….

I’m 6′ 2″ with a 34 inside leg, is the 19″ frame likely to be too small for me?

I appreciate I’d still want to sit on it and test ride but if the frame’s almos certainly going to be too small I’ll not make the journey at all.

FWIW i currently ride a 20″ Boardman Pro frame and that seems to fit nicely. Will the extra inch make a massive difference?

TimP
    Free Member

I have the medium (17.5″) and I am 5’10” (on a good day)

This is my io (although it now has a brown saddle on, and matching wheels!!)

I broke the forks at a race last year and borrowed a 19″ Genesis 29er and it was fine for me, a bit longer, but otherwise pretty comfy and I was on it for about 2 1/2hrs. I would have thought 19″ would be a touch too small for you

wombat

Thanks TimP.

I feared that may be the case, don’t think it’s worth that long a trip on the off chance. I currently ride a 20″ fram and have a similar (or slightly greater) amount of seatpost showing as in your picture so a 19″ would prob be a bit on the small side.

Cheers

FieldMarshall

I am 6’2″ and 33in inside leg and have a 19in IO.

I find it a touch on the small side (in terms of seat tube length) compared to my 19in P7.

So much so that it is now resigned to the turbo trainer.

So yes I think it will be too small for you.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I am same size as you and found the large too small. Went with a used L inbred instead which is better fit.

porter_jamie

i have a 19″ io in essex if you want to have a sit on one if thats handy

wombat

Perhaps I’ll have to turn my search to Inbreds in that case Shedbrewed

porter_jamie – Member

i have a 19″ io in essex if you want to have a sit on one if thats handy

Many thanks for the offer Jamie but unfortunately you’re even further away than the bike I was looking at lol. Cheers anyway.

TiRed

I’m 179 cm and of completely average limb proportions. The 19″ fits me perfectly. I fear the 19″ may be a touch small for you unless you like a more compact frame. Lovely frame though.

gavinckirby
    Free Member

I’m about the same height as you, mm’s under 6,3”, same inside leg and I ride a 19” iO iD, I absolutely love it… feels spot on to me, but then I do prefer a lower, slinkier frame with more visible seat post (my post height is similar to what Genesis used for their promotional photos for that year range, so it doesn’t look odd to me). The difference in top tube length between the 19” & 20” is a whopping 15mm… it’s nothing, that and the 20” suffers from a disproportionately high seat tube too of course.

To put it into context, that Grapil is a 16”, and while perfectly rideable on trails, on longer rides it did feel a little tight (only reason I bought it was because the shop was all but giving it away), for what it’s worth I’ve replaced it with an 18” Grapil frame that is dimensionally equivalent to the 19” iO iD, save the seat post height, which is a whole 25mm lower on the Grapil (but identical in all the other dimensions that matter) and it feels fine as well, I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to frame sizing really.

For what it’s worth, the Altitudes and Latitudes of the time had all but identical dimensions (0.5 degree difference on head tube and seat angle), if you know anyone with one of those nearby, that’ll give you a good idea as to fit, but I think it’s worth considering making the trip to at least test ride it, they’re ace bikes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Genesis IOD Alfine Sizing’ is closed to new replies.