Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Genesis io SS, I have just bought one, are they any good?
  • Darra8
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so I would like to say hello first, and introduce myself as a 38 year old with 3 bikes that likes to get out and ride, slowly and badly as much as I can. Got hooked 3 years ago, and love to fettle with the bikes, just as much as riding them.

I have just bought a new 07/08 spec Genesis io and wondered if they are any good for the money? I have looked through some old posts on this forum and there seems to be more than a few of you guys that are into SS bikes, so thought this was a good place to ask the question.

I have tried emailing Genesis several times through their website, but never got a reply. I had to go direct through Madison in the end and didn't get much help.

I have ridden the bike a few times now and think it's great around my local woods. I was a little p!ssed about how heavy it was, as it was nearly 3 lbs heavier than the advertised weight. I have changed a few parts since and it is currently just under 25 lbs now. I have also changed the freewheel sprocket to 18t, just to make things a little easier.

Apart from the cheap looking brakes, what's the rest of the bike like, as I have heard the ISIS BB is a bit rubbish too?

Cheers,

Steve

Mister-P
    Free Member

The contact form on the Genesis website doesn't appear to be working, I will get someone to look into it.

james-o
    Free Member

Hi Steve, I spoke to Madison Sales a week or so ago by email after you contacted them about having issues with the Genesis site contact, have you mailed again since? There have been some comments about mails coming through and i didn't receive your first mail sorry, or your second if you re-sent but we've been getting them since and have testted it all, appears to be working fine from our end. Have you contacted your email acc web server?

anyway, apologies for any grief, enquiries@genesisbikes.co.uk is our email and all is working now.

cheers
    James@Genesis

snakebite
    Free Member

Dont know much about the IO ridewaise other than the BB needs changing pronto-shifted a few for my LBS and the owners love em, good winter hardtails.

I quite fancy one of the new Altitude 30's or even the Alptitude…., the red Altitude would look obvious as a new steed in my garage though, but the Alptitude might sneak in under the radar…

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Hi Steve,
    Bought an 08/09 frame to replace my snapped Orange C16R and have to say that I'm really enjoying the bike. Very nice no-nonsense frame. Not much else I can say about that. Want to say that I found Genesis customer service superb. After struggling to find some suitable rigid forks to replace the 1" jobs off the orange, contacted genesis and they sold me some old stock through my lbs. Very friendly, very efficient, very helpful.
    Mine weighs in at about 23 lb so it is possible to get the weight down and that's with the meaty steel rigid forks which must weigh as much as many suspension forks.

Hope you enjoy the bike! Very nice bike to ride in winter as there ain't much to go wrong.

Si C

Darra8
    Free Member

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. I have sent another email to you last night to that email address, so it's would apear you didn't get that one either. I have sent enquiries from 2 separate email accounts, so I doubt the problem is my end.

Cheers,

Steve

Darra8
    Free Member

Hi Si,

I am looking into changing the stock steel forks for some exotic carbon ones. I hope to smooth trail buzz and save a pound or so off the weight at the same time.

Steve

monkeychild
    Free Member

Asking the question after buying lol I like it. I have owned my io for over a year now and it's brilliant real no nonsense riding. As for the weight????? Are you mad? It's not heavy at all. I noticed no massive weight saving through using a carbon post and forks as for changing the BB mine has been no problems at all. Just ride it and love it 😀

nuke

Why are you trying to email genesis/madison to find out about the bike after you bought it? 😕

james-o
    Free Member

current bike has a RaceFace crank where the BB is cross-compatible with Shimano HT2. no more Isis.. in 06/07 finding HT2 compatible SS cranks at OE was impossible, well certainly at the 499 rrp the iO was then.

Steve, still not had any through from you sorry and our testing says it's all ok? I'm stumped, i'm no internet engineer but will add a direct mail to the site. Can you click on the email address above and see if it sends? that will help me see if it's the form / format that is the issue. cheers,

Darra8
    Free Member

I had been looking at this bike in my LBS for months, partly because of how it looked and partly because it was £420. In the end I just had to have it. It was a real impuse buy, but so far it's been worth it.

As for the weight, to find it was nearly 3 lbs heavier that I thought it was going to be was a bit of a shocker. I saved a pound, just changing the tyres though!

Steve

Darra8
    Free Member

Nuke,

I just wanted a complete spec sheet for the bike, as the info on the website was a little lacking.

HTTP404
    Free Member

One begs to ask – what size frame is it for the weight quoted by Genesis and what size frame you have.

Also, let's hope you're not using bathroom scales.

Best way to save weight is with the carbon fork and lighter tyres.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The conti verticals it came with are great tyres. I have just bought a set for my hookooekoo as I loves them.

Darra8
    Free Member

Mine is the S/M 17". I did use the old weigh myself, then again holding the bike trick on the bathroom scales. But, I weighed it again on a calibrated set of salter scales just to check. Surprisingly, it was very close!

Steve

nuke

I just wanted a complete spec sheet for the bike, as the info on the website was a little lacking.

Fair enough. Don't see why bike companies can't archive the webpages/pdf on their sites so that they can be found again…Cannondale are good for that: their archive goes back to 2000 on their website

james-o
    Free Member

archiving isn't a bad idea.. noted.

Darra8
    Free Member

Hi James,

I have resent the email using the link and sent again from my AOL account.

Let me know if you get anything through.

Cheers,

Steve

james-o
    Free Member

will do Steve, ta.

james-o
    Free Member

nothing yet..

Darra8
    Free Member

Hi James,

Is there another way I can contact you. When are you in the office next? maybe I could give you a call. If so, is it the number on your website?

Cheers,

Steve

james-o
    Free Member

yeah just call that number, i'm in.

Betamax
    Free Member

I've got a 20.5". Very happy with it. Bit heavy though – does anyone know how much the std. fork weighs? Thinking of getting carbon fork and would like to know how much weight this would save(too lazy to pull mine apart).

Cheers.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Genesis io SS, I have just bought one, are they any good?’ is closed to new replies.