Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Genesis IO: Should I buy one?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

… very tempted, as a local xc/play bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nice bikes but heavy and sluggish as standard. It’s mostly the OE Conti tyres but there’s no getting away from the fact that 26.5lb is heavy for a rigid singlespeed. All the parts are fine, they are all just a but heavy too, which makes the whole bike rather heavy Changing thee tyres and the seatpost lost nearly 1.5lb. If I were you id try and find a used frameset to build up, because you’ll end up changing the whole lot anyway….

monkeychild
    Free Member

I love mine. It aint a lightweight but i dont notice the weight tbh. Never had an issue on climbs with it my mate who is a strong cyclist never dropped me whilst he was on his p7 pro. If your reasonably fit you will be reet.

dustypumpkins

You should. They’re fun.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Most fun bike I’ve ever owned. Buy one now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 19 year old Cindercone that’s 4lb lighter, cost £493 less and is a lot nicer to ride. It makes our Genesis feel like a tractor, put it that way.

The only real improvements the Genesis brings are more tyre clearance and disc brakes, hence the it’s a wet/winter bike for me

Don’t get me wrong, the Genesis is a nice bike and good value, it’s just got no sparkle. It’s a McSinglespeed. Its just a bike.

I’m going to try lighter wheels on it when I get the chance, see if that helps.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had a 93 fire mountain which I’d ss’d and much preferred the io. I found the geometry etc absolutely spot on. Each to their own though.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

Ignore the doubters – I’ve had one for 4 years (still got original Conti tractor tyres on) and never regreted it or see any reason to change it.
    Go for it!

flange100
    Free Member

got one here no regrets , good bike ,no problem with the weight dosent seem to heavy to me , that just what people say when they cant get uphill on a bike , to heavy , peadle harder then

mikey74
    Free Member

are they quite tough? I was thinking that in the summer I might stick some suspension forks on it and take it trail riding.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Mine was fully rigid until last june (finally wussed out with wrist pain)

I used to ride hamsterley black and llandegla black no probs on it. Tough as old boots it is. Got a few odd looks on sherwoods downhill bit too lol.

Just get one!!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

, that just what people say when they cant get uphill on a bike , to heavy , peadle harder then

I can climb on it as well as you can. But you tell me where the 4lb extra weight cones from apart from the discs?!

As I keep saying, it’s a nice bike, but of all the steel hardtails I’ve ever had (about 8 or 9) it’s the slowest and the dullest.
    The wheel package as a whole is the main culprit and changing the tyres for Mud Xs or Small Block 8s made a big difference. I’ve now got a Hope/Mavic 717 front wheel spare for it and will hopefully get a rear sorted this year. That will help, but I don’t think it’ll ever be as good as an Inbred.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers for the info. Looks like I may get one then :mrgreen:

dustypumpkins

It’s lighter than my geared suspension forked hardtail – but that’s not hard 😀
    Keep it rigid and stick a massive gear on and you’ll be laughing.

motivforz
    Free Member

I’ve got one and very happy with it. Feels light to me, liking the rigid front end, everything fairly hard wearing. I don’t look after it well, it goes in the uni bike sheds, then comes out and gets a ride. Cleaned once a month or so, and a bit of lube. Great fun at Swinley when I’ve taken it there, thought rigid and SS would hold me back but it made it more of a challenge and more fun. Like the general build quality and feel of it. Its a bike I like, which is important or I’d never ride it! I now ride it all the time because it is so low maintenance, compared to my geared hardtail, which isn’t too bad.

One of the tensioner screws bent. Make sure you do the axle bolts up very tightly, the tensioner screws apparently are just for alignment only. I replaced with a Surly Tuggnut as its a bit beefy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. I was right. I’ve just gone and switched the front wheel over and weighed the bare wheels in the process. Front wheel is 1090g. That’s heavy. I’ve just knocked 170g off the front wheel alone, and a further 100g on the tyre as mentioned above. That’s well over 1/2lb on the front wheel alone, by replacing with basic middle of the road kit you can get pretty cheaply secondhand.
    I reckon if you want a Genesis your best bet is to find a frame and build it up yourself, because I’m pretty confident you’ll change most of it anyway. I see no reason why I couldn’t build one from scratch for under £650 and have a better bike at the end of it. Nothing I’ve not done before.
    Mrs PP got ours in Cyclescheme, so I dont mind swapping bits around.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Absolutely loved mine! Ran some slx brakes and a bigger front tyre and it was superb! Deeply regret selling it, but I had to cull the fleet a little 😥

epicyclo

It’s a great bike. Some of the equipment is a bit basic, but all you have to do is ride the wheels off it and replace the parts with better bits each time.

The bike will simply feel better and better.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have had 2 so far. Changed the brakes on both of them, the So1e brakes the earlier models came with were dire. I stuck a Recon on the second one which meant I could hit stuff faster than I can actually pedal. I think a carbon rigid would be the best option fork wise.

FieldMarshall

Rode mine today for the first time in ages, in the Surrey Hills, and it performed really well and was really fun to ride.

The back end definitely feels a bit harsh when compared to my P7, but I am running it with an alfine, so the weight of the hub might have something to do with that.

Built mine up from a frame only (520 Reynolds version), so nothing on it is stock, i.e. fox forks, hope brakes, mavic wheels but I cant fault the frame for the money.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I love mine, got it as a birthday present in May last year and have ridden the pants off it ever since.

I swapped out the rigid forks for a set of 2010 Tora Solo Air SL’s and put some Mud-X’s on there and it’s a cracking little ride, great geo for fast single track even the bogo Shimano sub-Deore brakes are impressive.

Granted as PP said the finishing kit is a touch heavy and the wheels too – don’t quite know why they’re 36 spoke 😕

But the bike is basically bomb proof, it’ll get new spangly wheels when I break these ones and might get a new lighter seatpost at some point.

mikey74
    Free Member

What’s the sizing like? I am 5ft 10 and I was thinking of getting the 17.5 inch one.

audicoupedave
    Free Member

Mikey I’m 5″9 and and have a 17.5inch one I’ve had 2 io’s to date to first was a 520 tubed one and then found one of the 2008 725 tubed jobbies which is lighter and whippyer than the 520, I also own a Ti attitude and a Scott genius 20 both which cost a small fortune, but still ride the io 75% of the time cos I loves it to bits and I’m sure you will.I would deffo go down the route of buying a frame only then building it custom, ie wiith carbon fork etc to help shed some weight
    Good luck with Davo

audicoupedave
    Free Member

Pics of my IO Far from standard 🙂

xanboy
    Free Member

They are good bikes, I really liked mine. I built mine from a frame and it weighed 24.5 lbs with SID’s so not that heavy at all.
    I am 5’11 and I rode a 19″.

bruneep

stuck an alfine hub on mine.

725 tubed

Yes.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Genesis IO: Should I buy one?’ is closed to new replies.