Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Genesis Fortitude SS – upgrade for touring
  • drotos
    Free Member

I’ve a Genesis Fortitude SS bike, but I’d like to use it as a MTB-tourer. I’m thinking about upgrading it with Alfine 8 or 11spd IGH, or get Problemsolvers gear hanger and Paul Components Thumbie Shifter mounts with Shimano 9spd thumbshifters and use them as a full-length-cable system…

What’s Your opinion? IGH or 1×9 derailleur? Why?

Thanks!

thepodge
    Free Member

Alfine 8 for reliability v cost but it largely depends on what range and ratio you’ll need

drotos
    Free Member

I’ll need it on hilly and flat terrain, too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oxym0r0n

You will need a new rear wheel either way but also think how you’re going to run gear cable – zip ties? How often do you want to convert between?
    Personally I’d go with the mech cos it seems simpler but in true stw stylee I am recommending what I have!

Dmr also do a chain tensioner with a hanger

Rik
    Free Member

Just come back from a 350 mile mainly road tour in Scotland on my Fortitude Race. Its 1×10 with a 11-36t cassette and 38t chainring. Prefect ratio for lumpy terrain, the slack head angle makes it super stable with panniers at speed and i used 35c Marathon Supreme – but you can go any size on the tyres.

Comfy, fast and a joy to ride

drotos
    Free Member

I’d like to use Alpkit bags or sg similar, as the Fortitude SS doesn’t have any eyelets for rack or panniers.

I like the idea of the derailleur, because if sg goes wrong, I still can use my bike as a singlespeed. But… on the other hand, the IGH is cleaner, and seems to be trouble-free. (I’ve no experience with the Problemsolvers gear hanger.)

Anyway, I have to build a new rear wheel…

ottocat
    Free Member

Here’s mine, had no problems with the 11 speed plenty of gears for a fully laden tour. 2 inch Big Apples by the way great for road and gentle dry tracks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Fortitude SS – upgrade for touring’ is closed to new replies.