Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Genesis equilibrium disk with spyres – very little clearance
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I am building up a Genesis equilibrium with spyres calipers and their is only about 1mm of clearance between the inside of the caliper and the spokes on the front wheel. Is this normal could it cause a problem. The back seems OK. I am running 160mm discs front and rear. The wheel uses a novatech front hub. Any advice greatly received.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Mine is insanely close, hasn’t been a problem but it is bloody close. I was originally planning on running a 140mm on the front but LBS didn’t think it’d fit, he’s probably right.

jameso

Its the brake design, more caliper bulk on the inside due to the inner pad also moving. Found they don’t fit one of my bikes with a larger flange hub for that reason. I asked TRP about it and was recommended to shim the disc out.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Quite happy to shim out the disc, what do people consider to be a sensible clearance currently have less than 2mm probably closer to 1mm. I presume their will be very little flex that low down the wheel, possible more from the fork actually flexing. Don’t want to damage what to me has been a very expensive front wheel.

cupra
    Free Member

My Day One Disc has the same issue – approx 1-2mm clearance. To date it has been issue free.

jameso

Discs often only clear the fork by a couple of mm, I’d be happy with 2mm space, you’re right there’s so little flex that close to the hub. Just be sure that it all lines up consistently when the wheel’s fitted. I’d rather have 1-2mm clearance and less / no spacers between rotor and hub than shim the rotor out any more than is needed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Genesis equilibrium disk with spyres – very little clearance’ is closed to new replies.