Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Genesis Equilibrium disc 2014 can it take 28 tyre and mudguards.
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

As the title says. I am building up a 2014 Genesis Equilibrium with a steel fork. I have bought 28 continental GP4000s and now I think I might have dropped a clanger as some things suggest that you can only get a 25 tyre with a full mudguard on. I don’t have the wheels yet so can’t try it out. Anybody any experience.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s a road bike, not a bloody shopper. Get some 23’s in there and stop yer whining

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Very helpful David if I lived somewhere with nice roads 23s would be fine although I have been using 25 all year around as standard.

Anybody actually know the answer to my question.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jameso

If it has rim brakes 28s may be a tight fit – 25C with 35mm guards is the limit for most deep-drop brakes.

Bregante

It’s only a guess jameso but I doubt that the Genesis Equilibrium DISC comes with RIM brakes… 🙂

jameso

Just saw that in the title 😀 not finished my coffee yet.
    Don’t know about the disc version, would be suprised if it didn’t allow a little more room at the seat stay and you can usually trim the chainstay end of the guard into a taper to allow a bit more room there.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Yes it does, i ran Schwalbe one 28c tubeless with sks chromoplastics and there is ample room round both tyres.

robdob
    Free Member

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/road-bikes/genesis-%E2%80%A8-equilibrium-20-road-bike suggests 25c and guards

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12780959&p=18698503 comments suggest 32c with guards will be ok but tight.

Depends on the profile of the tyre sometimes, some are taller than others, some a touch wider/narrower in practice than the stated size. Sometimes the rim width can alter the shape of the tyre too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Very helpful David if I lived somewhere with nice roads 23s would be fine although I have been using 25 all year around as standard.

Anybody actually know the answer to my question.

😀

What rims? I’ve used 25c GP4000s in the past, they sized up more like a 28 on 23mm wide rims. THey still fit in the Genesis under guards though, on the rim brake model. THe 28’s you have may come up bigger than 28 if you’re using wide rims. I think the GP4000s are notorious (?) for sizing up bigger than stated.

steve_b77
    Free Member

On my non-disc Equilbrium I’ve got 25mm Grand Sports on a set of Giant 21mm rims and they’re bloody huge, if I get a bit of rubbish stuck on the tyre they catch on the guard and that’s a far up against the frame as it’ll go.

28’s with no guards would be fine, but that doesn’t help

sb88
    Free Member

Can you also use rim brakes with the frame set?

Cheers,

Sb88

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC mine was tight getting the tyre out with a 28mm

Vortexracing

My non disc works (just) with 28’s and mudguards, i can’t see why the disc wouldbe any different tbh

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Equilibrium disc 2014 can it take 28 tyre and mudguards.’ is closed to new replies.