Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Genesis Equilibrium
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

OK so an interseting execise. Just had a look at my best times for the race bike and commuter bike on one of the harder climbs in the Surrey Hills (OK not much of a test I grant you, but the last ramp on Barhatch is pretty steep, maxing out at about 25%).

The whole climb is 3.2km and gains 176m. Best time on the race bike is 10mins 47s whereas on the commuter bike it’s 11mins 41s. 53seconds slower on the best time is 8.2%.

The best time on the commuter bike was done May 23rd this year. On the race bike (all time PB) it was July 20th. I did loose about one kilo between those two dates so the total weight difference is likely to be more like 4kg not 3kg.

Also note that the best time on the commuter bike was done with a mate who beat me to the top (and therefore gave me something to chase), whereas on the race bike I was on my own.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the steeper the climb, the MORE linear the relationship between weight saved, and speed gained. Because aero losses become smaller at lower speeds.

there are many reasons why 1 bike might be ‘slower’ than another. lots of people say that their winter bike is X% slower than their summer bike, which ‘obviously’ must be because it’s heavier.

most people don’t even stop to think that we wear more clothes in winter, and so make ourselves even more catastrophically un-aerodynamic.

(i know may 23rd was hardly ‘winter’, but was it rainy/cold/damp? – did you have a jacket on? etc.)

…Also note that the best time on the commuter bike was done with a mate who beat me to the top (and therefore gave me something to chase)…

and in doing so, threw any sense of ‘pace’ or ‘rhythm’ out the window, went too fast, and probably suffered for it.

yes, weight is a penalty, but it’s importance is often exagerated – especially when we’re talking about bikes that already nice and light.

a 10kg bike cannot be considered ‘heavy’ in a sensible* conversation.

(*but we ARE talking about bikes, and i confess that i’d love a set of carbon handlebars for my mtb, as it would save a whopping 100g!)

geetee1972
    Free Member

yes, weight is a penalty, but it’s importance is often exagerated – especially when we’re talking about bikes that already nice and light.

I think this is the point. Agree 100%.

Important point to mention, which you do also pick up on indirectly, is that weight is not the only difference between the two bikes. There is also stiffness and position to consider. The ride in May was a fine day but damp on the road. The ride in July was lovely; better conditions and yes, I was wearing heavier clothing on the May segment. All makes a difference.

Alb
    Free Member
    geetee1972
    Free Member

Had a look at the link. It’s interesting; I can’t see where he gets ‘7.5 seconds from a bike that is 3.5lbs lighter over a 1-mile climb at 7%’ statement from though. The graph shows advantage of a 15lb bike over the base line 18lb bike as being 10.5 seconds.

OK still looks like a small number.

Now double the length of the climb and make it 10% not 7%. Then that 3lb difference looks more like 30 seconds.

That’s a pretty big gap.

Now apply that to Alp D’Hueze, which is 8.6 miles long and 8% average. The gap is now well over 90 seconds.

I think the argument made in the article is correct but flawed if what it’s trying to say is that the difference is not material because it clearly is.

clareymorris

GEnesis Equilibrium 10

I got this on cycle to work this year, after selling on my trek from a couple of years ago. Absolutely love it. It is not heavy – but of course it is not a carbon race bike either……but then again I’m not a carbon racer!

I love the ride feel of steel….so it suits me perfectly…..also I think it looks fab 😀

Quick edit: Mine is a 52 and fits perfectly. I’m 5 ft 8in

ahwiles
    Free Member

hang on, i’m trying to repeat his working…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Anyone preordered an Equilibrium disc then? Keep looking at the frame with lustful eyes…

grantyboy
    Free Member

snap, the limited edition one

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Equilibrium’ is closed to new replies.