Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Genesis day one alfine 11…….anyone?
  • ton

anyone got one?
    looking for a bit of a do it all bike, and this looked quite versatile.

trail_rat
    Free Member

heavy and stiff …..the mrs has the 8speed alfine day one
    you being heavier might not find it an issue but im only 13 stone and i found it harsh as hell frame.

ended up with a road rat – not ideal for the heavier rider though 😉

ton

stiff and heavy is ok….. 😀

any room for a bigger tyre? i cant tell from the pics

wors

I nearly got one for commuting but decided against it becasuse of where the rear caliper was mounted making a rack awkward to fit. I also read some people had issues disconnecting the cable for the alfine hub when they had a puncture. Probably not much of an issue normally but I didn’t want to be faffing around if I did get a puncture on the commute. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I also read some people had issues disconnecting the cable for the alfine hub when they had a puncture

only if they are a numpty…

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry turner guy – although the cable is easy to remove – both rohloff and normal gears are MUCH easier and with cold hands INFINATELY easier.

(i have an alfine on my roadrat and a rohloff on my MTB )

700x35c is the maximum you will fit in the fork with a mudguard fitted – more room at the back though.

martymac

im a heavier guy, ive ridden my mates one, it felt good tbh.
    however, it did cost £1700 and it just didnt feel that good.
    if it was my money id go for something with derailleurs instead.
    i must also point out, that even compared to my old P7 which isnt exactly light, it didnt feel light.
    for that money you could have a croix de fer and a holiday in france.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I do rather like the look of them. Should be a little lighter than the Alfine 8 too as I think it uses a lighter tubeset. Is pricey though for what you get.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Mine was delivered last week.

Lovely bike, only had one ride on it though so far.

It’s heavy, but I wouldn’t say it was hard to get the rear wheel off, even with mudguards on.

Ill let you know how it is tomo when I’ve been out again!

trail_rat
    Free Member

but I wouldn’t say it was hard to get the rear wheel off, even with mudguards on.

aye its dandy in a calm dry warm garage/shed

its another matter running late in a cold bitter wind trying to hold the bike upright and get the wheel out.

how ever jayne manages she just comments that its alot harder than fixing a puncture on the MTB or road bike.

ton

had a alfine 8 for a year, never found it too much of a problam to get the wheel out.
    will be using marathon plus tyres, so fingers crossed not too many punctures eh…… 😆

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve got the 8. If clearances are the same, 35 is the absolute max. I use Marathon’s in 28 and they are fine. Fitting guards and rack is the usual job when you have disc calipers to deal with. I.e. nothing that’s insurmountable. They are heavy compared to a l/w road bike but for a ‘do it all tourer’, no bother.

jameso

you being heavier might not find it an issue but im only 13 stone and i found it harsh as hell frame.
    ended up with a road rat – not ideal for the heavier rider though

The other side of it – I’m 6ft and just under 12st. I like the stiffer/springy if pushed balance of a 58cm Day One, I found the Roadrat to be too whippy for my liking when I had a ride on a friend’s bike, and that was on tarmac not off-road. Neither’s better/worse, just saying that it depends on rider type.

n1l0c
    Free Member

A good friend of mine rode Paris to Dakar with 4 other guys all of them riding one of these and the only issues they had wer a couple broken spokes and punctures, not bad for 5,500km.

Here’s a link to their fb page http://www.facebook.com/IC.PARIS2DAKAR do donate if you’re feeling charitable.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

aye its dandy in a calm dry warm garage/shed

I had a nexus on my Birdy folder, and had to fix several punctures in the cold and wet on london streets, it’s OK if you have the right tools and don’t struggle to do things with your cold fingers.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya or Fargo are what you wont Tony.

I pick mine up later this week..

Looking forward to doing what we planned.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

8 speed here. Heavy and stiff.

daleftw
    Free Member

Had mine a few months. A few issues with it.

I’d be tempted to wait for the 2014 version of it, sounds class 😯

rickmeister

Friend had an 11 sp Alfine and it was no end of trouble. Maybe an early version but even the bike shops struggled with the hub. Hadn’t even covered 200 miles before failing. She finally ditched it for a Rolhoff.

Our own 8 sp has however been flawless. For years.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Genesis day one alfine 11…….anyone?’ is closed to new replies.