Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Genesis Day 1 flip flop – fixed??
  • MrSparkle

Got a Day One singlespeed of the cantilever variety with a flip flop that has free wheels on each side. I’d like to run fixed on one side. Does anyone know if the hub has only one side that can take a cog and locknut? If so, which side? Got 17t and 18t free on it now. I’m presuming that’s stock.
    Ta.

ian martin
    Free Member

If the hub is the same one I had then it is a double screw on type, you’ll need a tool to take the free wheels off. You’re best to take it to a bike shop and let them do it as there are several types of tools and they can be a right bugger to get off.
    If you’re going to use a fixed screw on type you’ll need a locknut, best to buy from on-one as theirs are strong and cheap. Always when buying drivetrain items for singlespeed buy strong! It’s sore when you either somersault over the bars or smash your nuts when something breaks or slips.

They’re great bikes so enjoy.

ian martin
    Free Member

Mine came with 42/18 freewheel when new which is far too spinny on the road but ok for bimbling about, best with either a 16 or 15.

Check out sheldon Browns website for useful stuff on ratios etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it can takes locking then the thread for that has smaller od, you’ll see it.

When I ran fixed I didn’t bother with a lockring,.

ian martin
    Free Member

No lock ring = no fixie skids!

simondbarnes

Pretty sure it wouldn’t have come stock with 2 freewheels. They certainly don’t now. Have a look at the end of the freewheels, if one of the sides is setup to take a lockring you’ll be able to see the smaller, unused thread as Al said.

MrSparkle

Yeah. That’s why I asked. I’ll have to take it in to have a freewheel taken off and I don’t know which one to have removed, if you see what I mean. I’ll have a good shufti tomorrow to see if I can see a locknut thread on one of ’em. Cheers.

mick_r

You can pop round and use the tools at mine if you want. Probably also got some spare fixed sprockets if you want to play.

Mick

cynic-al
    Free Member

No need to remove freewheel, just look under it.

MrSparkle

Bike now sorted thanks to top man Mick R. Cheers man.

cookeaa

I did run a “suicide fix” on my fixie for a little while, you need to use a euro BB lockring (same thread as a fixed sprocket sprocket) cranked up good and tight against the sprocket.

It never came loose, and I probably didn’t check it often enough, in the end I got a cheap fix/fix flip flop hub from OO and ditched the old wheel…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Day 1 flip flop – fixed??’ is closed to new replies.