Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Genesis Day 01 Alfine 11
  • daleftw
    Free Member

Rather stupidly impulse bought one of these today and I’m now kind of regretting it.

Anyone got one? Are my regrets well-founded?

GrahamS

Quite fancy one actually.
    I’ll take yours off your hands for £20 if you like.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got the alfine 8 version. Proper giggle to ride, and an absolute weapon on smooth singletrack.

Riding it down rocky descents made me feel like I was 12 again (until I got a pinch flat)

I’m going to take it sustrans touring in a couple of weeks. Should be perfect for that.

Dave

Sammo
    Free Member

Also got the alfine 8 version here, been mainly riding it on the road with slick tyres and been loving it, planning to put a rack on it and do some touring some time.

Why are you regretting it?

palookah
    Free Member

Done around 4K miles on mine since gettng it in November, off and on road.

Absolutely love it, fantastic bike. Alfine 11 hub has stood up to everything I’ve throw at it so well chuffed.

daleftw
    Free Member

Sammo – Because it was a complete impulse purchase. And at £1700, one of my more extravagant…

It seems perfect though – on road, off road, commuter, round the world touring. A complete do it all.

alfabus
    Free Member

one tip… i’m not sure if it is the same for an alfine 11, but this is definitely true for the 8.

PRACTICE TAKING THE WHEEL OFF AND REPLACING IT AT HOME!

I had the piss mercilessly (and deservedly) taken out of me for my inability to reattach the cassette join miles from home when I pinch flatted. It is very easy, once you know how, but complete witchcraft when you are covered in mud and guessing.

Oh, and you’ll need to start carting a 15mm spanner around with you to undo the nuts on your axles. I’ve got a Surly Jethro-Tule for this purpose (and for opening bottles)

Dave

daleftw
    Free Member

Oh, and you’ll need to start carting a 15mm spanner around with you to undo the nuts on your axles. I’ve got a Surly Jethro-Tule for this purpose (and for opening bottles)

🙁

TiRed

I’ve got a Surly Jethro-Tule

I just cut down a nice Cr-Vn ring spanner to fit in my tool bottle. Best to use gloves when undoing the nuts though.

alfabus
    Free Member

Best to use gloves when undoing the nuts though.

jethro-tule has a nicely rounded flattened section for you to push on, so no hand pain 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

£1,700 on an impulse buy? Who said there was a recession????

daleftw
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    £1,700 on an impulse buy? Who said there was a recession????

Exactly.

daleftw
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a decent rack to put on the back? New to all this 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got a. DYone8 in the house

Word of warning , tyres and tubes are both paperthin to get the weight down.

Tis a heavy beast.

Alfine gear actions better than my own rohloff and less. Drag.

The versa shifter is great 🙂

Got a tubus rack on jaynes.

Off to ride some of the north sea cycle route over the next week from shetland back to aberdeen with the dayone and my td-1 rohloffed up and bob copy out the back 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable.

Which rack? Do I have to get a disc specific one?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Think its the fly we have might be wrong

Not disk specific just spaced em out nicely 😉

daleftw
    Free Member

I really don’t understand racks and stuff, going to do some reading up on them. 😆

So even though the Genesis has disk brakes, I don’t need a disk specific rack, I can get away with others?

Mister-P
    Free Member

The 11 speed hub is much easier than the 8 for cable removal and attachment. But yes, remember a 15mm spanner. I have the Park SS15, also with bottle opener function.

sam69
    Free Member

Have you been out on it yet? Post some photos please

daleftw
    Free Member

Don’t get it for a couple more weeks unfortunately.

sam69
    Free Member

8) ok no probs are you going to ride it both road and of road .

sam69
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a genesis day 01 Alfine.

martymac

my mate got one a few weeks ago, impulse buy too, but he paid £1200 for it.
    he tried to get a rack/slicks/panniers thrown in with that too, but failed.
    ive ridden it, quite liked it, gear change is instant going up, about the same as derailler going down, but my over riding impression of it was smoothness.
    i went for a charge filter instead, mostly due to budget tbh, but im enjoying it so far.

sam69
    Free Member

Anybody rode one of road? What they like

daleftw
    Free Member

I’ll be using it on and off road. Not much dedicated off road round here, but a few good bits.

alfabus
    Free Member

surprisingly good off road… not much fun on really rough stuff, but on anything smooth, it flys.

I did a strava run on in when I first got it and set a load of KOMs – not just on the ups, but on some downs too 🙂

Dave

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Day 01 Alfine 11’ is closed to new replies.