Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Genesis croix de fer frame – or something else?
  • Ogg

I want to build myself a commuter/tourer which won’t fall apart should I choose to take the occasional off road diversion on the way back from work, going to do a few lightly loaded tours on it too (b+b/hotel rather than camp)

The Genesis looks like the obvious choice, at £475 it’s fairly pricey and I’m not entirely sure I like the bronze colour.
    Singular Peregrine looks nice – but no longer available.

Anything else I should consider?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This years geometry is slightly different as well, I think a taller HT for one thing.

the old retail one was a bit heavy, but with better wheels and other stuff it can be lighter – mine is 22.5 with 105 rear mech, ultegra front, ultegra chainset, stans on iron cross wheels (the kinesis ones are light by 100g I think), light pedals, etc.

It is fun to ride, maybe more springy on the poor road surfaces than my 725 equilibrium (which is only 2lbs lighter) – although some of that is my titanium seatpost as well.

I was undecided for a long time before getting the tripster as the croix is so good, but that blasted thread on here tempted me too much.

Ben_H

Cotic Escapade?

Mine’s been used as a true all-rounder since acquiring it in March – mainly for commuting; but also road rides, tours, bridlepaths, with toddler bike seat and a bike trailer. Pannier rack fitted sometimes, sometimes not. Taken offroad on occasion. Run down to the shops more times than you can shake a stick at. Mainstay of my commute. It does it all so well, especially so with the bigger tyres.

It’s built-up with 105, BB7s, Hope Pro 2 hubs on Crest rims, 35c cyclocross tyres and Thomson finishing. Buying it all in one go with careful purchases from the usual big websites would probably see it cost around the £1,600 mark (although a fair bit more via a LBS).

Ogg

I like the look of the tripster atr – too spendy for me though, I’m 6ft so 54 is too small for me which is a shame.

Ogg

not a great fan of the horizontal dropouts on the Cotic – I found them a pain on my old pompetamine when it came removing the rear wheel with rack+guards fitted

Ogg

140 quid cheaper than the Genesis so worth a look though…

iainc

maybe some deals on the 14 Croix De Fer’s as the new ones come in ?

spot on for touring 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you are building then consider the Salsa cowbell bars with their slight flare out (woodchippers have more) – they are a lot more comfortable and much nicer for control off-road.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The color of that cotic frame is nice…

hatter

Considering that the first requirement you mentioned in the OP was ‘won’t fall apart’ I’d say you’re bang on with the Croix, they’re far from light but that’s because they’re built like brick poo houses.

I’m a happy 19-stone and have taken mine fully offroad on several occasions, with 42C tyres and some sturdy touring wheels it’s pretty indomitable.

If weight is more of a concern then go for something lighter or racier but if long term durability is a concern then you can’t go too far wrong with a Croix.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

they’re far from light but that’s because they’re built like brick poo houses.

I don’t think that is a fair statement at all – my equilibrium is only 2lbs lighter and that has carbon forks and caliper brakes and skinny tyres – both bikes have about the same level of kit on and decent wheels.

built like brick poo houses might apply to on-one but the croix de fer frame is pretty decently built in nice 725 steel.

retail ones are heavier mostly because of the wheels.

hatter

I don’t think that is a fair statement at all – my equilibrium is only 2lbs lighter

In fairness my ‘other road bike’ is a 7.5 KG carbon jobbie so my opinion on what constitutes ‘heavy’ on a drop-bar bike may be skewed, my statement was more intended as a positive comment on the Croix’s apparent toughness than anything.

On a side note, Cycle Gear seem to have the Genesis 931 stainless framesets in every size but 60cm going for £799.99, well worth an extra £224.99 over the standard 2015 frameset IMHO, proper ‘bike for life’.

Clink

Bit of a bargain – probably my new commuter.
    http://www.wiggle.com/charge-plug-3-2014/

iainc

retail ones are heavier mostly because of the wheels.

my bog standard 2014 one weight 25.5 lbs, with pedals, size 54

Collarbone
    Free Member

A tad cheeky of me, sorry.

I have a 2013 CdF 54 frame in finest black hanging on a wall that I want to get rid of.

It was a nice ride but a bit too long for me so I ended up buying a different frame off a mate. Most of the ‘that feels heavy’ on mine came from the wheels, they’re on my Roadrat now and thats feeling heavier than it did before.

I’ll try and get organised and get it on the for sale forum this weekend, just in case you’re interested.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my bog standard 2014 one weight 25.5 lbs, with pedals, size 54

and the 2014 ones had lighter wheels than the older ones!

13thfloormonk

Salsa Vaya?

I’m not sure of the exact geometry/weight etc. but I’ve now used mine for sportives, touring, commuting, cyclocross and shortly, monstercross! (I’m sticking some 40c tyres on instead of 35c… 🙄 )

(not my pic, just couldn’t find a stock one quickly)

billytinkle
    Free Member

Trek 920 adventure?

Si
    Free Member

If anyone is looking at getting rid of CdF probably 54 size (5ft 9) I could well be interested,

Thanks

Si

Ogg

Salsa Vaya I’d considered but nobody seems to be selling the frameset.
    Trek 920 is a new one on me – but similarly I was after a frame rather than a full bike

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

54 should be right for 5ft 9, I am 5ft 10 and use a 110 stem, having just changed from a 100.

zilog6128

On a side note, Cycle Gear seem to have the Genesis 931 stainless framesets in every size but 60cm going for £799.99, well worth an extra £224.99 over the standard 2015 frameset IMHO, proper ‘bike for life’.

nice spot; was waiting for these to go on sale! Anyone got any feedback on CycleGear/UK Bikes Depot? I guess more retailers will be discounting these (perhaps by more?) when the 2015s are available, stock withstanding of course?

1-shed
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Genesis croix de fer frame – or something else?’ is closed to new replies.