Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Genesis Croix De Fer… Anyone got one?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Got a chance to join the cycle to work scheme because of my new job, and been looking at a few different choices as to what I could get. I already have 4 mountain bikes, don't think I need another (though since when has need come into it!), but for a while I've fancied getting a road bike again, or at least something I can cover ground quickly on road on at least…

Obviously, for £1k you can get a fair amount of road bike these days, with the likes of Boardman and Planet X offering Carbon framed bikes with decent kit for £1k all in. BUT… I'm worried I'd find an out and out road bike too limiting. I also worry I'd find a proper CX race bike a bit uncompromisingly stiff and errr… Well… Dunno, just the steel frame, disc brakes and general style of the Croix De Fer look a LOT more appealing than just about anything else out there to me…

So who's got one? What's it like? The bike for all reasons, or too much of a compromise in any situation to be any good? What does it weigh? And what size would I need at 5ft 10.5, and normally riding a 17.5/18" MTB frame… 54 or 56cm?

geoffj

I've not got one, but I plan to get one in the autumn, to add to the 4 other Genesis bikes I own. 😳 They look very nice, I believe that they aren't that light, but for a do it all cross / road / tourer I don't think there is much about to challenge it – Kona Sutra perhaps.

mboy
    Free Member

Blimey, 4 other Genesis bikes already! I've got an Altitude which I rate highly, but no others yet…

Had been looking at anything else that directly challenged the all round road/cross/tour appeal of the Croix De Fer, and couldn't find anything myself. The Kona Sutra looks much more of an out and out tourer, which wouldn't really interest me as largely the bike would be getting ridden for less than 2 hours at a time. Primarily to get a few quick cheeky road miles in here and there (and occasionally ride to work), but perhaps try my hand at a couple of cheeky CX races next winter possibly, and also a bit of light offroad locally (I live 30 minutes away from any hills, so a CX bike for local bridlepaths would make sense).

Regarding the weight of the Genesis, which I'd also heard isn't light, looking at the spec it would be easy to lose weight in the future. Some Hope Pro 2 hubs on Mavic Open Pro's would lose a fair chunk of rotating weight I reckon, along with some 23/25c tyres for road use.

Anyway… Pie in the sky at the mo, but reckon it could be the ticket.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kahurangi

I have one and use it extensively for commuting. I got it over a year ago when the frame was reynolds 520. Hopefully it's lighter and springier now, being 725.

It does the commuting well (except for spec'ing a short cage rear mech with a wide range cassette / compact chainset… I mean c'mon). Mine's heavy with mudguards, panniers and heavy tyres but it gets used and abused. I'm not sure I'd want to take it off road as it is though.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

mrovershoot has one, bumped the thread so he may see this and comment

acjim
    Free Member

another, lighter, option would be the Kinesis Tripster. You may have to scrimp a bit on components but it would be a nice base.

james-o
    Free Member

Hi Mboy, it will be a compromise bike in many situations, or you can look at it as a really wide-ranging all rounder. weight-wise it's not a light bike but that's not cos we use anything cheap or heavy on it, it's just that cable discs and a steel frame + fork will never be a light build-up. we have the Vapour for those that want a lighter 'cross bike that's raceable, the Croix de Fer is for those road/bridleway/muddy singletrack make-it-up-as-you-go winter rides and makes a rugged commuter too. size wise i'd try a 56cm first at 5'10"

James / Genesis

neil853
    Free Member

really wanted one but they were out of stock until april (?). ended up with a boardman cx which is nice but not as good looking as the genesis. mine doesn't feel massively stiff mind, i do about 25 miles a day three times a week on mine to work and its fine. don't know if this helps 😆

mboy
    Free Member

the Croix de Fer is for those road/bridleway/muddy singletrack make-it-up-as-you-go winter rides and makes a rugged commuter too.

And for that very reason it sounds spot on to me…

Will see if my local Genesis dealer has one in for me to try for size soon I think…

OCB
    Free Member

I think they look great, and for me, pretty close to the ideal bicycle.
    The only reason I don't have one, is that I've got a Peregrine (and have had for a while now too).

jojoA1
    Free Member

The other half has just ordered one through bike to work. I think they look spot on and fancy one for a tourer.

MrOvershoot

Sorry CP I have been busy 😮

I got one on the Cycle Scheme last year, its been one of the best/versatile bikes I own.
    Perfect for my mixed surface commute
    Took it to France last summer to visit my Mother and it proved ideal for all the miles (should be KM really) of canal paths/quiet road & woodland singletrack.

Now its mine I'm running a triple as I'm a big bloke & grinding up muddy tracks in 39×25 isn't my idea of fun.

Got mine through Homers Cycles that used to be in Ellesmere Port & Adam said while it was in the shop hung up awaiting me picking it up more people asked about it than any other bike.
    Its not light but this helps on some rough stuff as it gets pinged around less.

mboy
    Free Member

I got one on the Cycle Scheme last year, its been one of the best/versatile bikes I own.
    Perfect for my mixed surface commute
    Took it to France last summer to visit my Mother and it proved ideal for all the miles (should be KM really) of canal paths/quiet road & woodland singletrack.

Sounds spot on.

Where I live it's a good 25 minutes or more in a car to get to any decent offroad riding, but there's lots of mixed surfaces and plenty of woodland near me. I want something that I can get out for a cheeky hour or so on my own (and use to ride to work occassionally). Thinking about a proper road bike too, but something like the Croix De Fer would just be so much more versatile…

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I've had one for 10 months – it's a great do owt bike. I use it mostly for commuting with a set of Conti Contact Sports.Took the SpeedKings to Wales last summer and rode it off-road for the best part of 2 weeks and found it to handle really well – obviously, I wasn't riding, er, 'gnarly' trail centres but it rode far better than I expected it to. Size-wise, I've got a 58cm frame and I'm 6'2" with a 34" inside leg – fits really well.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Sorry CP I have been busy

i knew you'd find this thread at some point 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Croix De Fer… Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.