• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by penmi.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Genesis croix de fer. 2015 model.
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve still got my money burning a hole in my pocket. I was just about all set to get a Planet x London road, but then I happened to spy the Croix de fer frameset only in burnt bronze with a carbon fork.
    Now, I’ll admit right here I’m a tad smitten with it.
    My tentative plan at the moment is to swap all the bits from my old Kaffenback onto this, and get some new wheels and disc brakes.
    I’m waiting to hear back from a few places with regards to a few questions I had, so in the mean time, who’s got one of this years models and what do you think?

thekettle
    Free Member

I’ve just switched over from a 2011 Kaffenback to the 2015 CdF frameset as you describe, having built some new wheels to go disc. Have done approx 100 miles of road and 40 miles off-road so far, it’s for cx exploring from November-March then becomes the commuter with rack and guards. Looks gorgeous, rides very nicely, less road buzz and less twitchy than the Kaff, steeper seat angle and (hence) shorter TT seem to be the main geometric differences. 35mm tires have tons of clearance, could go 40mm I think (without guards). Photo’s of it here

doncorleoni
    Free Member

One word…. Awesome. Waited patiently for the 2015 to come out and not dissapointed. I needed a bike for a 24 mile daily round trip commute, done 600 miles on her now. Currently set up with 40mm marathon supremes which just roll over anything and are not much slower on roads / track than 28s I have used on other bikes.

The frame is finished very well and the carbon fork is well made. Geometry suits touring / longer rides but slam the stem and you can be in cx / road warrior mode!

Watch out for toe overlap though and sizing is a little funny compared to other compact frames. I am 5ft 10 ish and have long ish legs… Right between sizes but just couldn’t get the 54 to fit well. Too cramped for me. Don’t let the standover fool you. My nads sit on the top tube of the 56 but reach is perfect and fits like a glove. Currently in touring mode so seat to bar drop is minimal.

The hydro sti’s are brilliant. One finger locks the wheels up whatever the weather…. Plus the pads from slx and XT mtbs fit too which is a bonus.

I cannot think of anything bad to say right now.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Hmmm, I must have missed that big thread,thanks robdob. thekettle and doncorleoni, you both sound happy with youres, thats good to hear.

iainc

I have same one as doncorleoni, the 30. Absolutely love it. I have a 54, at 5ft 10 and short legs. I had a 2014 one previously, same size. On the current one I have swopped stem from 100 to 110 to get same reach. I can’t think of anything I’d change on it and the 105 11 speed stuff with hydraulics is quite amazing.

houndlegs
    Free Member

ianc, whats your inside leg measurement? I’m 5 10 and a smidge, and I was looking at the 56. I’m 31 ish inside leg, which I gather is short.

iainc

My inside leg is 30.5. Have had some bike fit stuff over the years and know that my ideal effective top tube is 545 with a 110 stem. Thats what I have on the genesis now, and same as my Giant defy road bike.

I am also a touch over 5ft 10. I could ride the 56 but the 54 feels good. I have the stem flipped and a spacer above, so more roadesq…

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I am 5.10 too. But 33 inch leg. I ride a 56 with a 90 mm stem. This puts me at 650 mm (pretty much identical to iain at 655mm). I run my saddle mid rail and knee is just a tad behind pedal axle. Perfect fit for me. I wanted a more upright less racy position hence went for the larger frame (the 54 is 15mm shorter in head tube so seat to bar drop would increase for same stem).

But as said many many many times…. What works for us won’t necessarily work for you. I read all this stuff about sizing down etc etc and the 54 to me felt totally wrong despite stem and seat adjustment. I know someone who is 6ft riding 54 2014 croix, and another who is my height with a 58. There is no real right answer.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks for the sizing advice both. I understand what you say about different fit for different people don. I’m happy with my kaff fit, so I’d be looking to replicate that.

iainc

^^^ agree with above, don and I have them set up with same reach, but mine has lower front end by probably 35mm, between shorter headtube and stem other way up. That said I’m a comparative shortass, so my saddle is probably a few inches lower, so seat to bar drop likely very similar for our different setups 🙂

Would be ideal if you could get a sit on a few before committing ?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Yeehaa, frameset on its way 😀

houndlegs
    Free Member

Nearly finished, just waiting on a few bits and bobs , then set it up and give it a whirl.

Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/rfZRXh]SAM_0839[/url] by philipdixon36, on Flickr

How do I post a bigger pic please? Ok got it now.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rfZRXh]SAM_0839[/url] by philipdixon36, on Flickr

doyler
    Free Member

Those with a 2015 Croix de Fer 30, is there space to fit a full-length rear mudguard? I saw a comment on the Evans website that said the front derailleaur arm is too close to the rear wheel and there’s not enough room. Obviously that must depend on the tyre, but I’d be grateful for any thoughts. I already emailed Genesis some days ago but no reply yet.

tthew

….emailed Genesis some days ago but no reply yet.

Don’t hold your breath on that. I’ve e-mailed them in the past and didn’t even get an automated acknowledgement.

Sorry, can’t help with the answer to your question.

That bronze one is lovely BTW.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m not sure the e-mail thing on the website is working, there’s nothing in the inbox regarding Croix de Fer mudguards anyway. Please mail enquiries@genesisbikes.co.uk directly.

iainc

doyler – Member
    Those with a 2015 Croix de Fer 30, is there space to fit a full-length rear mudguard?

I haven’t fitted one as I use a Zefal Swan, but I think there is space. At the tightest, when chain is on big ring, there is 8mm between the front mech arm and the tyre (standard 35 Cross-speeds)

bitasuite
    Free Member

is there space to fit a full-length rear mudguard?

I’ve got SKS Longboards on mine. The front mech does just touch but I’ve not found it to affect the shifting at all.

doyler
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers, that gives me some confidence that it should work. (And thanks Mr P for the direct email address.)

Tempting and I may get one – I really like the idea of a good steel frame with drop bars, hydraulic shimano discs, cable gear mech, space for 32 or 35 mm tyres, capable of taking guards and a rack.

There is also the Shand Stoater, or I could wait for the Donhou DSS2. Hmmm…

Or, I might attempt to build something up myself.

Anyhow, thanks again for the input.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I just fitted a 50mm sks Chromoplastic thingy. Bit of a bugger to fit and needed to cut and bend the arms a bit. Bit of a squeeze with 40mm marathon supremes but they fit fine.

It’s a great bike.

Genesis really do need to sort out their comms though….. I asked loads of questions directly to email and on the Facebook site and I had one reply about 3 weeks after asking. Shame really as I love the bikes.

penmi
    Free Member

Doncorleoni, how did you fit the front disc-side arm? Which bolt did you use? I have the same bike and the same mudguards, but haven’t had time to fit those yet.

I also realized I can’t use the rear bridge clamp, because the frame has horizontal hole there. So will the mudguards be stable enough without a bridge clamp?

English isn’t my native, so I hope I was clear enough 🙂

Greetings from Finland!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Genesis croix de fer. 2015 model.’ is closed to new replies.