Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Genesis CDF/Croix Der Fer/Day One owners. Help !
  • laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Picked up my new CDF yesterday to replace my three year old Day One. The Day One is fitted with 37mm Conti Touring Plus tyres and Tortec full length mudguards giving excellent clearance and coverage. I was a bit p***ed off when I got the new CDF home and tried to swap the guards from the Day One only to find that the fork clearance is nowhere near as big. This is probably exaggerated by the huge 35mm Conti CycloCross tyres that came on the CDF. They are considerably bigger than the 37mm Touring Plus. Anyway,looks like I’ll be fitting new tyres to accommodate mudguards. So, my question is,what tyre size/mudguard combo’s are you using on your CDF/Croix Der Fer/Day One ? Thanks for any advice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The Genesis website says SKS P50s work.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Cynic-al, you are quite correct about the Genesis website. Unfortunately there info seems to relate to older models like my Day One. The fork on the new CDF appears to be slightly different 😈

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware of any changes.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Neither was I………..until I tried to fit the guards around the tyres !The guards fit perfectly but the tyres are too big. Considerably more clearance on my 2009 Day One fork. Just a matter of fitting smaller tyres but could do with knowing what is the biggest tyre that will fit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’re using Tortec not P50?

spyke85
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon 32’s with SKS P45 here. Slight bit of rub every now and again on the front mudguard. It is very tight!

avdave2

35 Marathon Sports on mine with the SKS P45’s. Tight but not a problem to stop rubbing. I believe the Blumells guards have a more rounded profile which means they may fit higher in the CDF forks giving better clearance.

iainc

I have a new Croix De Fer and bought SKS p45 guards. They wont fit with the stock tyres. They are just ok with 32 small block 8’s and 32 conti contacts. For the stock tyres and my more knobbly conti cross kings I use zefal swan and matching front guard, which is like a crud catcher for road bikes.

MarkSS
    Free Member

I’ve a 2012 Croix de fer with SKS chromoplastic & 35c schwalbe marathon deluxe on shimano mt66 29er wheels.

The steerer of the forks continues into the fork arch by a couple of mm which doesn’t help with mudguard clearance.

I ended up melting a hole (using the cut off steerer chunk) & then heat reforming to aid clearance. Yes its weakened the front end but no major issues (been riding mud laden back roads) in 700miles .

iainc

I have been pleasantly surprised by the stock tyres. Done some pretty tecky singletrack (more stone than mud right enough) and they only lost traction a few times. Also had a few road rides and they roll well on tarmac, while nice and forgiving on the manky back roads. Think I will use them majority of time, coupled with the swan guards. For road touring trips I have nice 32 conti contact reflex slicks which will go on with the SKS guards

vim_fuego
    Free Member

I went through the same dilema when I got the new Croix de Fer frame, I fitted some SKS Blumels in size 700c x 45mm but could not run my beloved Stan’s Raven 35c tyres. Ended up fitting a pair of Kenda Small Block 8’s 32c.
    I do wonder what degree of testing these of things goes on by the manufacturer, I’m no expert but when you design a do it all frame like this you think they would make it to take a 35c tyre with guards.

iainc

Thing is though you don’t get many cross bikes with CX tyres and full guards as they gum up off road. I think the cdf is great on gentle off road stuff with the swan guards and also great on road with fat road tyres and full guards.

Vim – how do you find it with the small block 8’s ? I loved them on my Jake

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Vim – how do you find it with the small block 8’s ? I loved them on my Jake

They are fine, no problems, running them tubeless on Stan’s 29er wheels, but I prefer the Raven’s, they’ll be going back on come the warmer weather.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.It would seem that 32mm tyres are the maximum then. For those using 32’s, how close are they under the fork ? I’m assuming this is where they are rubbing ? I will probably take a chance with some Conti Touring Plus 32’s.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Firstly, thanks for all the replies. Now an update for anyone who may be looking at buying a CdF. My initial suspicion that the forks on the CdF were different from my 2009 Day One was incorrect. The only difference is that the supplied 35mm Continental Cross tyres on the CdF are huge, and I mean huge. I’ve replaced them with 32mm Conti Touring Plus with Tortec guards and there is acres of room. I’ve also tried them with the 37mm Conti Touring Plus off my Day One and they to fit with more room to spare. Thanks again 😀

iainc

useful update, thanks. I haven’t taken the stock ones off yet, as I think they are surprisingly good allrounders, but I do have 32c touring tyres, 32c Small Block 8’s and new 35c Conti X Kings ready to try out, so might do some swopping over the weekend.

jerrys
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2013 ‘baby’ CDF (i.e not the full fat Croix). Haven’t put mudguards on it yet, but with the stock Conti cyclecross tyres it certainly looks very tight at the front (back looks a bit better). I think I’ll go down Iain’s route and use swan guards until I can afford to change tyres (post xmas skint feeling !).

Slightly off mudguard topic – one thing I did do to the CdF was to change the rear sprocket from the standard 12-25 to an 11-32 until I get cycle fit!

Iain – I used to live in Lochgoilhead many years ago. It was a good climb out of the village on the old forestry road up to the Rest!

iainc

Jerrys – aye, its a good climb indeed, about 10 mins faster on a CX bike than a mtb due to limitations of lowest gear. The earlier section, from the Lochan at the Loch long side where it goes up very steeply is a challenge and a half though, even on a mtb !

PS the 14 Croix has a 12-30 as standard 🙂

jerrys
    Free Member

IainC – I might have to come back and try it again some time :). It’s a long way from salisbury though !

There’s a slight possibility I might be working for a week or so near Applecross in March/April. I’ve done the Bealach a couple of times in a car and on a motorbike – I believe it will be a bit harder if I try it on the CdF.

iainc

I’ve done the Bealach a couple of times in a car and on a motorbike – I believe it will be a bit harder if I try it on the CdF.

. I’ll bet 🙂 a riding buddy, Pistola of these parts, did it on his last yr !

trail_rat
    Free Member

2012 dayone front fork required cutting of the front piece of mudguard off to get them mounted with stock tires….which were pish thin and had ultra light tubes in to keep the weight of the bike down.

Top touring 32c fitted and wish i hadnt cut the guards after that 🙁

avdave2

Slightly off mudguard topic – one thing I did do to the CdF was to change the rear sprocket from the standard 12-25 to an 11-32 until I get cycle fit!

jerrys was that keeping the standard rear mech. I’ve a CdF with the Tiagra 4600 rear mech and the 12-28 cassette but would prefer a 11-32 or 12-32 (I believe there is an Ultegra 12-32 avaliable) I’m pretty sure from what I’ve been able to find so far that it should work.

p7rich
    Free Member

I’d ditch the Conti’s. I bought a CdF in the spring and suffered them for ages before slashing one and replacing both with Smart Sams. Very happy with the SSs. Wish i’d done it sooner.

iainc

P7rich – which contis did you have ?

jerrys
    Free Member

jerrys was that keeping the standard rear mech. I’ve a CdF with the Tiagra 4600 rear mech and the 12-28 cassette but would prefer a 11-32 or 12-32 (I believe there is an Ultegra 12-32 avaliable) I’m pretty sure from what I’ve been able to find so far that it should work.

avdave2 – Yes it was the same mech. (I’ve got 9 sp Sora on mine) I took the bike to the LBS for it’s first free check up and they did it then. I’d ‘researched’ it and thought I was going to need a new (longer) cage and also a few extra links in the chain. In the end it was done with just a new chain. I’ve got a cunning plan to buy some lighter wheels, put road tyres on and use the 12-25 or a 12-27 with the original chain when I want it to be more road orientated. Not being a bike techie (yet) I don’t know how easy it is to swop chains like that. Maybe someone can tell me what I need?

cheers!

p7rich
    Free Member

P7rich – which contis did you have ?

The cross version of the Speed King tread.

PS. I also replaced the rear cassette with a 32 so i dont have to snap my knees on offroad climbs. Just had to add some links to the chain.

avdave2

Thanks jerrys and p7rich.

mccett
    Free Member

Picked up some Gatorskins 28s as 90% on road at the minute, and SKS Commuter 45s yesterday for my 2014 Croix de Fer. Fitted the tyres first and then the mudguards no problem, apart from having to fashion a wee bracket for the front disc side to mount the support arm onto.

Looked like quite a bit of clearance so I tried the original 35c tyres and they fit ok too. Occasional slight noise of the wee tyre ‘hairs’ catching until I adjusted it again but otherwise works fine. I’d probably not be going anywhere too muddy on that combo though.

Great bike, really pleased with it. Got a Topeak rack and panniers and it suits my 30mile commute fine… might even ride it for pleasure at some point!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Genesis CDF/Croix Der Fer/Day One owners. Help !’ is closed to new replies.