Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Genesis bikes – when did they get downgraded?
  • spanners
    Free Member

After recommending Genesis bikes – Core and Altitude – to a few friends some of them actually bought one and have been very pleased. I was just about to recommend them to another friend but first looked at the spec. When did the specs change from high spec at a good price to cr@p spec at the same price. Where they hit by the hugh Shimano price rises of a year or so ago? Shame really as they used to look really good.

mboy
    Free Member

Were they hit by the hugh Shimano price rises of a year or so ago?

Yes, massively so, just like everyone else really. Hence the high prices and relatively poor spec on most bikes now…

Used to be that you could get 27spd, a 100mm sus fork and hydraulic disc braked HT for under £500 easily. I've been looking around for a mate recently, and it seems you need to spend £650 or more now no matter the brand!

takisawa2

I thought that when I saw the rigid SS IO at £650.

retro83
    Free Member

Even on HTs up to £700 the forks and brakes on a lot of bikes are shoddy looking. RST FFS!!

shoopnasty
    Free Member

thinking of getting a SS IO are they any good ?? Currently got an On-one inbred SS

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP has just got an I0 SS, and yes, it's not a brilliant spec compared to a bike a year or two ago, but it's a bloody lovely bike, very well thought out with a sensible spec. Noting really needs changing at all and the White brakes, pedals, saddle, grips and forks really set it off a treat.

spanners
    Free Member

poppa
    Free Member

Spending 1k gets you a Rockshox Tora on some bikes 😯

glenp
    Free Member

Would it not be more accurate to change the thread title to "All bikes – are they a lot more expensive now?"

As far as I can see Genesis is still a very good value brand – certainly you get a lot more for your quid compared to an entry level Trek or Specialized.

5lab

think thats bad, I'm considering one of these under c2w

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45937

yep, a grand for a bike with 8 speed\sram x3. That's a £6 front mech!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Genesis bikes – when did they get downgraded?’ is closed to new replies.