Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Genesis bikes…
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

Are they any good? Considering a near new Alptitude that a friend is selling but don’t know much about the brand?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen they’re ace

p8ddy
    Free Member

I have an Alpitude and I love it. Due to an injury I wasn’t able to MTB for a while so it was/is my first bike on the rehab trail. My previous lat two bikes were Spesh Demo 8 and then a Commencal Supreme DH.

It’s an excellent little bike – not too heavy but heavy enough to know it’s built to be strong, the geometry is nice too. My main gripe is the seatpost size. They were (like mine) 30.0 and now 27.2 – both of which are a bugger to get a dropper seatpost for. 27.2 is better nominally than 30.0 because there are more options (but with less travel) and I really don’t want to shim due to the length of exposed seatpost beyond the top tube.

TiRed

Have a 26er Genesis io id alfine that replaced my stolen Kona Unit 29er SS. It’s a great bike and my first with front suspension. It’s not a light bike, but the geometry is excellent and it feels similar to the Kona. I chose it based on geometry matching the 29er, it being steel, and the fact that it was about half price.

Carbon bits and singlespeed will make it lighter still.

nathanf
    Free Member

I’ve got a Genesis Latitude, standard spec but it rides really well. I would love an Alpitude for tougher stuff 😀

DaveRambo

I also have a io ID built as a rigid single speed with a Salsa Cro-mo steel fork and a bunch of genesis branded/cheap/old bits.

The finish on the frame is lovely.

It’s not super light but it feels solid and rides really well and it’s hard to find anything bad about it at all.
    I’m very impressed and it’s a top brand IMO.

grey

I had an ioid for a couple of years, fantastic bike,solid and reliable, i gave it to my brother at the start of the year and so it’s now used for getting to his work.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Good I have one 🙂

Del

i have an alpitude too. lovely frames. don’t really understand why they’ve stopped making them, other than the whole wheel size thing 🙄

lovetoride
    Free Member

What brands are they similar in level to? The name seems a bit Raleigh’ish??

yunki
    Free Member

think more cotic, dialled, pipedream and sanderson

Jamie
    Free Member

What a strange thing to say…

CraigW
    Free Member

Genesis are owned by Madison, same as Ridgeback and Saracen. Ridgeback used to include mountain bikes, but they became the separate Genesis brand.

dawson

I’ve got a standard Latitude and its brill, done peaks rides, 2x Hit the North races, Mary Towneley loop challenge.

I’ll admit its not the lightest bike, but it rides well.

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’ve got an Altitude 30 & it’s been a great bike overall. Handling’s good & it’s got that classic “comfy” (for a hardtail), springy steel feeling about it and takes a good thrashing in its stride too.

The weak points for me have been the paint (which is wafer thin, chips easily) and the Genesis branded parts which from a practical point of view are fine, but look cheap. I’ve now swapped the bars & stem & would love to get rid of the seatpost next. Dropper post would be nice, but the seat tube size limits the choice a bit.

spyke85
    Free Member

What’s an Alpitude sell for?

Looking at swapping mine for a High Latitude

core

I’ve got a core 30, the 26″ ally hardtail, rides lovely, doesn’t feel to heavy, really good finish, only bad points are exposed cable routing on down tube & soft notches on saddle angle adjustment. Got a thompson elite on the way, plus upgrading cranks, bars & forks….. I think she should be pretty good then, slowly losing the functional, but not the best genesis finishing kit, seatpost clamp was crap too

belugabob
    Free Member

Genesis could be renamed to Tmesis as they’re fan-bloody-tastic.

I’ve had an Altitude 00 for over 5 years and absolutely love it.
    It’s seen action all over the south east, through all kinds of weather and terrain.
    It’s also been to Afan a couple of times, survived a long weekend in the Dales and, in Iits current singlespeed configuration, got me through the rigours of the recent SSUK meeting in the Purbecks.

As the Alpitude is a burlier version of the Altitude, you can’t really go wrong.

P.S. I also have a 20 year old Raleigh hybrid and, whilst it is my bike of choice for road rides, it really isn’t a patch on the Genesis

lovetoride
    Free Member

Strange statement I know but Raleigh aren’t currently renowned for their coolness! Want something from a respected reputable brand.

spyke85 – what size is yours?

zero16
    Free Member

Very understated! Best complete package for price out there!
    Buy and enjoy

zero16
    Free Member

P.S. is your mate selling complete bike? What size? Price? If you don’t want it?!

plus-one

Did ride an io for a couple of years it’s a quality bike and builds up quite light with decent parts.. It’s currently just a frame as I went Ti 🙂

But it was such a sorted ride I may rebuild it 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

I don’t know a whole lot about them but I think this vid closes the forum…

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/317172/

Who cares about the brand!? When it is capable of ^^^

core

I’m so tempted by a fortitude race, but think I’d get my knackers chopped off if I bought one, so may have to try and fine a 2nd hand one in year or 2

robbonzo
    Free Member

Genesis are an understated cool brand, just look at their road bikes, and that vid… The alptitude is an awesome frame and id love one as an all round hardtail. In fact if you dont want your mates ill have it!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…only bad points are exposed cable routing on down tube…

I’d argue that’s a good point! Better cable routing and no friction inside cable outers. Or am I missing something obvious?

samuri
    Free Member

I have a day-one. Really good, solid bike. It’s a bit heavy but not a problem for beasts like us, eh? Due to its weight, once it’s moving, it’s moving. And therein lay the original problem for me. The brakes it came with were quite frankly, deathtraps. The more modern ones have different brakes which don’t go ‘twang’ and stop working completely just when you need them. I suspect I’m the only person left alive to point this out because I ride fixed so have a third brake.

Apart from that, brilliant.

core

Pimpmaster Jazz
    …only bad points are exposed cable routing on down tube…
    I’d argue that’s a good point! Better cable routing and no friction inside cable outers. Or am I missing something obvious?

Only bad because they’re exposed to the elements.

ahwiles
    Free Member

but, super easy to clean and oil, so it’s arguable either way.

anyway, great bikes.

geoffj

They used to be designed by our very own jameso (of tour divide fame).
    I’ve had a fair few over the years. Decent bikes.

andiskin
    Free Member

Shameless plug!
    I’ve got an alpitude frame for sale if anyone is interested.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-alpitude-steel-frame-sizemedium-similar-to-bfe-dialled-all-mountain

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have three of them. Make of this what you will.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Only bad because they’re exposed to the elements.

A bit like road bikes (which arguably have far more salty stuff thrown at their downtubes)? Possibly a problem if you never clean your bike at all, but otherwise any problems are there for you to see, and easy to deal with. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Shameless plug!
    I’ve got an alpitude frame for sale if anyone is interested.

Me too! Modded for someone of shorter stature (my better half loved it): http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-genesis-frame-north-face-truvativ-conti

More pics here (please excuse the terrible dropper routing – it was a quick test before reverting back to a Gravity Dropper): http://www.flickr.com/photos/pimpmasterjazz/sets/72157635039920420/

RustySpanner

geoffj – Member

They used to be designed by our very own jameso (of tour divide fame).
    I’ve had a fair few over the years. Decent bikes.

Who now does Pinnacle bikes for Evans and has just done the Hoy bikes as well, as far as I know. 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Genesis bikes…’ is closed to new replies.